140402164244-julius-randle-single-image-cut

The case against overreacting to Kentucky’s current slump is remembering what happened with the 2013-2014 squad, whose struggles really put this group’s into perspective. That team lost six SEC games, fell out of the Top 25 poll, and went into the NCAA Tournament as an 8-seed, but still went to the title game. On a recent podcast with Adrian Wojnarowski, Julius Randle reflected on that improbable “great story,” which should keep you from jumping off the bandwagon.

“I think we thought it was going to be easier than what it was going to be,” Randle said. “Because we had the talent. We had everything there at our disposal. But it’s not easy. And looking back, I don’t think we came in with the mindset that we didn’t have to work, or we didn’t have to put forth the effort. We just were young, and we didn’t know much. We had to take our lumps to realize that we need each other.”

Of course, heading into the SEC Tournament that year, Calipari implemented “the tweak,” which kickstarted Kentucky’s impressive postseason run. Hearing Randle talk about the tweak should give you hope for this year’s “reboot.”

“The year that we had, it was so up and down,” Randle said. “We had so much talent, but we didn’t know how to play with each other. By the end of the year – the SEC Tournament – it clicked. And it looked like we were a force to be reckoned with, we weren’t going to be stopped.”

Check out the entire podcast at the link below, and don’t give up hope just yet. Right, EJ Floreal?

[The Vertical Podcast: Julius Randle]

8 Comments for Julius Randle’s memories of 2013-14 may make you feel better about UK’s current slump

1. Sentient Third Eye
    11:18 am February 9, 2017 Permalink

But given that it was “improbable”, doesn’t the fact that it happened in 2014 actually hurt the chances of it happening again? What are the odds of lightning striking the same place twice?

2. ClutchCargo
    11:27 am February 9, 2017 Permalink

The fact that something happened in 2014 has zero effect on the probability of it happening in 2017.

3. Mc12
    11:42 am February 9, 2017 Permalink

I’d say the difference for me, and the reason I still picked that UK team to get to the finals was because we had a decent rim protector in WCS, and Randle was a dog on the glass.
    This team doesn’t have a rim protector. There’s this player that I think is on the team, Sacha Killeya-Jones that looks like he could be a decent shot blocker, but must get abused in practice.
    If Edrice can become tenacious on the boards, I’d feel better about this team, and would even call him Bam lol. I’m just not sure he has the instincts or motor.
    As of now, this team reminds me of last year’s team. Guard heavy with inconsistent front-court play that will be vulnerable to any team with a solid front-court and a quick guard. Just my opinion.

• Aar
      12:15 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

I agree with everything you say. To my eye, Killeya-Jones’ greatest weakness is he constantly fouls. I usually think that’s a conditioning issue but he usually fouls within his first 30 seconds on the court. So, I’m at a loss.

As far as our front court is concerned, I think Adebayo, Gabriel, Willis and either Humphries or Wynyard have more potential to be a strong post presence than last year’s team. There is just a chemistry issue with the entire team on both ends of the floor. I think the front court’s greatest offensive challenge is that passing into the post is weak. How frequently do Adebayo or Gabriel lose great post position when they have to jump to catch the entry pass? What percentage of dunks have been ruined by poor lobs? On the defensive end, I think a key part of it is “who protects the rim when Adebayo gets pulled out of the paint?”.

As Cal has stated, this team has been good. They need to get back to playing the way they were three weeks (and more) ago. I hope they all get healthy again, back into condition and rested for the post season. I’d rather have all of the illnesses and bad play in January into February than any other time, if they must happen.

4. Jiminy Crickets
    11:43 am February 9, 2017 Permalink

This team could be just like 2014. It could also be just like 2013, but more likely will be like 2016

No one can tell me Monk and Fox are better than Ulis and Murray. Both teams struggle at the 4 (Gabriel vs Poy) and Bam is honestly not much better than Lee. The biggest difference is Ulis BLED for this team, and refused to back down from anyone. This is what this team is missing.

Both teams hit mid-season lows, 2016 team lost to Auburn and TN (both terrible teams), and just as 2016 got it together in time to win a very weak SEC tourny, I think this team will do the same. I also see this team getting booted from the tourny in the first weekend.

This team is eerily similar to last year, fun to watch but just has a lot of weaknesses. The thing they don’t have is a guy that refuses to lose.

5. catsarerunnin
    11:50 am February 9, 2017 Permalink

LOVE THIS!!!!!

6. Rick_S
    3:28 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

That team caught lightning in a bottle..Dot set yourself up for disaapintment..Not going to happen

• catsarerunnin
      3:48 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

Oh ok. Thank you so much!! I won’t bother watching UK the rest of this season and I will check with you next season before watching any games. Obviously you are THE expert.