Julius Randle was in class at 8:00 a.m. this morning

How, I don’t know, but Julius Randle was up and at ’em early this morning, hours after arriving back in Lexington after the tough loss. Randle was in his 8:00 a.m. class, on time, and ready to learn whatever the professor was dishing out during Wednesday’s lecture.

Keep in mind, eight hours earlier, Randle was sitting at a podium in Fayetteville, Arkansas answering questions as to why his team couldn’t get it done in the closing minutes of a tough SEC road game. He then had to shower, board a plane with his teammates, and get back to Lexington. That puts him back in the bluegrass somewhere in the 3:00 to 4:00 a.m. range.

A student-athlete attending class should never be news, but sometimes we forget what these kids go through while working their tails off to keep us, the fans, entertained. Several of us struggled to make that 8:00 a.m. class in college when we were up late watching TV, three blocks from campus. And by several of us, maybe it was just me. I doubt that, though.

Someone get that man a nap.

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for Julius Randle was in class at 8:00 a.m. this morning

1. Bec
    12:09 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Thanks, Drew. Thanks for this.

2. wolfcreekbrian
    12:12 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Someone should tell Bobby Knight about this. Never mind, he wouldn’t believe it anyway.

3. Come on
    12:12 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

4. binarysolo
    12:12 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

“If our players have time to go to class they should be working on their free throws.” comment in 3… 2…

5. here ya go
    12:13 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Chester gives this post a thumbs down…

6. youkayfan
    12:15 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

This. This right here. Awesome.

7. BigBlue
    12:15 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Most freshmen have issue getting to the AM classes with no other responsibilities!

Good going Randle!

8. Howard
    12:16 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

After all these years Drew finally put up a good post. I always knew you had it in you.

9. None of Our Damn Business (Student Privacy)
    12:31 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m as proud as anyone for Julius Randle’s commitment to his education. But it’s none of our business what individual students do in their classes. Yes, we receive the NCAA reports, have access to them, etc. But student participation and performance in a higher education classroom is protected under federal law.

So as proud as we all are of our team, leave ’em alone. They deserve SOME element of privacy when it comes to their coursework and classes.

• Mel D.
      1:50 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Actually, it is BBN’s business. If they fail, then they don’t play.
      BBN wants to see our players succeed on and off the court! GO JULIUS! WE’RE PROUD OF YOU!

10. rahrah
    12:39 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Huh? He walked into a class full (hopefully) of other students. How is that private? I can’t imagine how sore that guy is today. Great job, Julius!

11. bedford big blue
    12:53 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

great post…. relax cat fans… after last nite…missed free throws or not… missed block out or not i saw the team as to what it will become… great effort… i can see two road losses total now counting last night and run the table at home….and also hats off to the arkansas fans for not storming the court… i went to a lot of SEC tournaments in the mid 1990’s and beyond when the HOGS were in their prime and i can tell u they have great fans… after watching the end of the Indiana game and our game i shake my head….. i truly hope now we dont ever play indiana again unless its in a Ncaa game..the depths to which they they have fallen is so sad or would be sad if it wasnt Indiana

12. ShagariObrzut
    1:00 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

How come we’re only reporting on Randle?

• BlueRedNeck
      1:05 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I think this post came about because a UK student reported to KSR that he was surprised to see Randle making it to his 8 AM class after such a late night. Nice to hear that these kids are putting the effort forth in the classroom as well as on the court. People like to forget that these young men are 18, 19, 20 years old. How many of us had it together at that age?

• ShagariObrzut
      2:36 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I mean…I get why we posted that he made it, I’m glad he did. But what about the rest of our players?

• somerset bill
      5:08 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

i think jarrod is in uganda helping the ugandanese. someone saw willie 9 blocks up limestone. derek was on the bench all night.

13. Jason
    1:00 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Well, a bunch of Wichita State fans are slamming Kentucky on twitter right now. @shockerhoops and @shockerangry are just letting it fly. Anybody else coming to our side?

• BlueRedNeck
      1:05 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Bunch of wanna-be’s.

• Wanna-be-St
      2:30 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I wouldn’t mind seeing Wichita as the #1 seed to beat in the Cats bracket this March. Then they could put their money where their mouth is lol.

14. Jason
    1:11 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Indeed. But I’m got half the city of Wichita pissed now. My truck will probably get keyed within the hour.

15. whodat
    1:15 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I am curious .. why would a positive post need to “await moderation” and then presumable not pass muster to be published?

16. Chicago
    1:17 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Thanks Drew. His effort on the court last night is just as much appreciated as his effort in getting to the classroom this morning. The guy played his heart out last night. Just hoping the Arkansas loss will be this team’s version of the 2011 Indiana loss…

17. Mean Randy
    1:21 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Why is this even news, isn’t that was he his supposed to do. Good god

• TAXman
      1:36 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

No one would fault him or any of his teammates if, after playing a grueling physical 3 hours game of basketball until midnight, and then doing interviews, and then showering and getting on a plane to fly back to lexington at 4 in the morning, he didn’t show up for class 4 hours later. Thanks for providing the “counter-view” that many seem to have to provide for whatever reason that is. He should be commended for this, because I, and most likely everyone else here, probably wouldn’t have gone.

• Big Blue B-Rad
      1:52 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

To stick it to Bob Knight and those other idiots who convince themselves UK players don’t go to class….

18. BREAKING
    1:28 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

BREAKING: UK basketball player attends class.

• TAXman
      1:38 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

well at least no one mistakes you for ever having been in a classroom.

19. redandyz
    1:44 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Shoot, I’d be excited to get to class too if it was Ping Pong 101!!!! I LOVE that game!

• M
      2:44 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

You’d probably be more excited it it was Kissing 101 taught by Tom Crean.

• Biglaw Dawgin'
      3:27 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Haha – M’s comment

20. Cayuts by a hunnert!
    1:53 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

This is news? Seriously?

21. KG
    2:00 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m surprised that he was physically able to get out of bed this morning after the game he played,the beating he took and the effort he displayed during last night’s game. Thanks Julius.

22. Dr. Tom
    2:38 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Come on negative Nancy’s. As some of you said, yes that is what he as student is supposed to do and Drew was praising Julius for doing so. But more importantly Drew was pointing out the rigors of being a college basketball player. The loss last night hurt us fans but I can’t imagine how the players felt after leaving everything they had physically on the court. But they have to put that behind them and that is what Julius did early this morning by getting up early and going to his 8 o’clock class. I am proud of the entire team and especially Julius.

23. jpbuk9
    2:44 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

My sons said the Harrison twins were in class this morning as well. I think it was a 9;00 class, not 8:00, but they were there.

24. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:25 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Mental toughness – Juilus has it.

25. sunnycat
    3:28 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I hope the class is “the spin move aint working 101” followed up by “pass the damn ball 101”

26. Mr. Self Destruct
    3:48 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Well, I was up until 1, and I have to get up at 4:30 for work. With an hour commute. Just saying.

27. Mudcreekmark
    4:21 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I made one D my whole life and it was at UK in a Drafting class(Enginerring). (And, no the rest were not F’s.lol)The reason?Because it was an 8:00 class and I just couldn’t or wouldn’t make my self get out of bed. It was the only time the class was taught and I had to have the course. I bet I didn’t go to that class half the time. God bless him. Glad to see he is taking classes serious, or of course it could be that that knock out of a girlfriend he has may be in that early class also.

28. specialetta
    4:26 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

#26. Did you play in a game last night and have bruises all over you from the physical contact? I think not. Just saying.

29. Buckets
    4:35 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Exactly the reason I never scheduled classes before noon. I had an 11 a.m. psych lab one day a week one year and that was my earliest class ever.

30. LakersFan41
    5:09 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Way to set a good example J. Randle!!! Hoping my LA Lakers get to draft you in June. I agree going to class at 8AM shouldn’t be that big deal, however, JR knows in 6mths he’ll be a multi-millionaire. For that reason alone, I say great job!!

31. Whooopteedooo
    9:12 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Sat in a class next to Mashburn in ’91, when the professor asked what time they got back in town, Mash said 3:00am back to the lodge. The prof said, “don’t worry, you can sleep today, I’m not going to say anything important today anyway”. I was one of 2 non-athletes in the class. Not impressed that the players show up or get good grades unless they are taking legit classes and getting something out of them.