Julius Randle named CBS Preseason All-American

randle

Another day, another accolade for Julius Randle, who was just named a CBS Preseason All-American. Randle was also named an All-American by USA Today earlier this week, and joins Andrew Wiggins, Marcus Smart, Russ Smith and Doug McDermott on CBS’ Preseason All-American First Team. Here’s what they had to say about the manchild:

Julius Randle
F | 6-9 | FR | Kentucky
Randle projects as the best player on what projects as the nation’s best team. He’s big, strong and super-aggressive — a matchup nightmare in the frontcourt who just might lead Kentucky in points and rebounds while leading the Wildcats to a second national title in three years.

Andrew Harrison and Willie Cauley-Stein were also named third-team All-Americans, while Andrew Wiggins was given Preseason Player of the Year honors.

Go Cats.

16 Comments for Julius Randle named CBS Preseason All-American

1. Indycatfan
    10:48 am September 27, 2013 Permalink

By the end of the year Julius randle will be player of the year and win every award. Wiggins is good but people need to realize Just how good Julius randle is and he has got a lot better over the last 6 months and Andrew wiggins hasn’t gone up against nba players like Julius randle has. Julius randle will be the number one pick.

2. BlueDeuce
    10:57 am September 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m just ready to see this guy play some basketball!

3. Jughead
    10:59 am September 27, 2013 Permalink

I hope this beast rubs off on Poythress. Deadly combo if Alex grows a pair.

4. KevinM
    11:02 am September 27, 2013 Permalink

WCS getting terrific accolades from one season later.

Randle will make us proud and we have the spotlight on us every night.

Russ Smith vs. Aaron Harrison at SG? Could there be a twin AA backcourt? I remember both Morris’ getting AA honors their junior year.

5. Back to Back
    11:08 am September 27, 2013 Permalink

Lol @ Willie Clankenstein making third team.

6. Jeffrey
    11:25 am September 27, 2013 Permalink

@ Jughead: he is

7. Going for 9
    11:51 am September 27, 2013 Permalink

LOL @ Russ Smith making the first team. Yes he can score, but doesn’t do anything else great, and his scoring is a result of a lot of shots at a poor percentage.

8. Back to Back
    12:15 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m Funny.

9. mashburn34
    12:18 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

@7 take off your blue tinted glasses bro. Smith is erratic at times but he is an excellent defender, one of the nations best last yr, and he also led the nation in efficiency per minutes used. he is a stat sheet stuffer. do your research and come back at me bruhhhh. one of the best players in the nation, period

10. SeaCat
    12:35 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

McDermott? I don’t remember him.

11. Going for 9
    12:39 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

This has nothing to do with “blue tinted glasses” since I never said someone from UK should be on the first team. I think Gary Harris should be, with Russ on the pre-season 2nd team (which can obviously change as the season goes on since this isn’t going to be a down year like last season was). I think Russ is a high-volume shooter that shoots at an inconsistent clip. He’s a good defender, not a great defender. I also don’t consider 18 points, 3 boards, 2 assists, 2 turnovers as a stat sheet stuffer when you barely hit 40% of your shots to get 18 points. I’d consider him a top 15 college player that does well for his size, but unless he can learn to play the point more often, he’ll have no shot in the NBA.

12. UKBigDaddy4
    12:43 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

Stat check…per gocards.com; Russ Smith averages less than 13ppg on 38% shooting. UL career assists=206, turnovers=211. The only stat he ‘stuffs’ is field goal attempts.

13. RealCatsFan
    1:29 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to see Julius in action! Could we be looking at a repeat championship game matchup between Cal and Self? That would be an awesome matchup to see Randle going against Wiggins, although Wiggins might end up being guarded by James Young. If it happens, hope the Cats prevail in the rubber match.

Russ Smith is a very good college player, but I’m afraid for his sake that he missed the 1st round draft train by choosing to come back for another year. Even if he has a season equal to last year’s, he will not improve his draft stock against a MUCH deeper talent pool, and since Siva is gone, opponents will be free to concentrate much more on stopping him. Russ, you shouldn’t have listened to Rick Pitino for draft advice.

14. ribin
    2:30 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

Looking forward to seeing this group play — going to be a fun year.

15. Blue
    6:24 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

#1 is kidding right? Andrew Wiggins father was in the league, he grew up playing against NBA talent.

16. specialetta
    6:37 pm September 27, 2013 Permalink

I have said before Julius will be the #1 player in the nation this year. I know he will only be at UK one year. So I am ready for the journey to begin!!!!