Julius Randle makes Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 list

randle-msu

Congrats to Julius Randle for making the John R. Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 list.  The Los Angeles Athletic Club narrowed the list from 50 to 25 this morning, and Julius was one of five freshmen to make the cut, along with Syracuse’s Tyler Ennis; Arizona’s Aaron Gordon; Duke’s Jabari Parker; and Kansas’ Andrew Wiggins.  Wiggins’ teammate Joel Embiid did not make the cut, but apparently can be added at a later time.

Here’s the complete list:

• Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
  • Russ Smith, Louisville
  • T.J. Warren, North Carolina State
  • Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
  • Chaz Williams, Massachusetts
  • Joseph Young, Oregon

The award honors the nation’s best basketball player and will be presented during the weekend of April 11-12th. Anthony Davis is the only Kentucky player to ever win it.

16 Comments for Julius Randle makes Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 list

1. One and Done?
    2:07 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Andrew Wiggins is still playing for Kansas? Ha sorry to all the people who were saying he’d play one game and then go to the NBA. I guess those people look pretty dumb right about now.

• M
      2:17 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

There were people that said he’d play one game and then go to the NBA?

• DH
      2:18 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Yea, he must have been over rated. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended playing the whole season..

2. Bandalumnus
    2:21 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

This is Doug McDermott’s award to lose… He’s been that good all season long.

3. Jake
    2:28 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Joel Embiid not being on the list is strange. Kids progressing so fast and has been on a tear, almost to the point of overshadowing Wiggins.

• 44 Stitches
      3:14 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Agree

4. What?
    2:47 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

How is Aaron Craft on that list?

• Why Aaron Craft is there
      2:52 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Because he’s the son that much of America wishes they had, the “All American guy” kind of thing. Good student (pre med), a good athlete, and not as naturally talented as a lot of guys so he works really hard at the game. He’s definitely not a top 25 player IMO, but that’s my take on why he’s there and why analysts love him so much.

• M
      3:01 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

The guy gets a few steals a game, and does hustle, but he also gets away with a lot of fouls. I was wondering why he’s on there too. Whatever the reason is, it’s not basketball related. Maybe they think he’s a good leader? My guess for why he’s on there is the same reason he gets away with a lot of foul calls, but I’ll keep that to myself.

5. jus saying
    3:06 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

How does a school playing as badly as Duke have 2 nominees?

6. wildlife conservationist
    3:06 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Did JR just step on a snake?

7. ObviousFact
    3:29 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

If Aaron Craft was a black athlete, not a chance in hell he is on that list.

• Just saying
      4:04 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know about that. I’m black so I am definitely familiar with the great white hope pick. I dont think this is it though. I think he’s just there because he’s the best player on a team that was a top 5 team. Plus he plays pg so you can always argue leadership.

• M
      4:16 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I’m white, but think he gets a way with a lot of holding and hand-checking because he’s white and hustles. He is a pretty good defender. However, if he was called for some of these fouls he’d be forced to be less aggressive. Other than his steals, and hustle, he’s average at every other aspect of the game. I don’t think he’s their best player either. He becomes a liability on offense because teams can sag on him and help out other’s easier. Unlike a player like Rondo, he’s not quick enough to get to the rim at will.

8. Catsfan
    5:00 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Doug M. will win it. Deserves it. Right now only people with a chance are Doug, Smart, Parker and Randle if we win 9 of next 10 and he goes off. He had another double double last night. Not many are mentioning that in post game notes. How many does he have now 12/13 out of 18 games?

9. KevinM
    7:17 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Right now, its McDermott….now who steps up.

And isn’t the country just in awe over Rodney Hood? Ridiculous.
    Is this the 1st time UNC hasn’t had a player with their great recruiter in charge?