Julius Randle hasn’t missed a practice since the Louisville cramps

(Photo by Matt Anderson)

(Photo by Matt Anderson)

(Photo by Matt Anderson)

To everyone wondering if there’s more to Julius Randle’s cramps than what we’ve heard, worry no longer, my friends. Randle practiced Sunday after the Louisville game and he’s participating in Camp Cal’s three-a-days this week with all of his teammates.

Ignore any internet rumors claiming it could be something else.

In related news, Randle is still No. 2 on the Wayman Tisdale Award watch list behind Jabari Parker.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Julius Randle hasn’t missed a practice since the Louisville cramps

1. Jughead
    12:08 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

He looks like he plays harder than anyone on the team. No wonder his body amped out.

2. rick
    12:12 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Good news. GO CATS

3. Chicago Chris
    12:17 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

I used to go see the Louisville Cramps when they were playing for tiny crowds at Lynaughs. I knew them when.

4. kynut
    12:33 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Willie tried to warn them that they would pay for taking days off for the holidays by coming back out of shape. “Worst scheduling ever”, he said. When Willie speaks people should listen.

5. Tangledupinblue
    12:37 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

He probably had WAY to much sodium for an elite athlete with very low body fat over the Christmas break . Mamas cookin might have got him . Vbg

6. Sean
    12:41 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

sounds like really bad news for the rest of the country.

7. tangledupinblue
    12:41 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

He probably had way more sodium than an elite athlete with very low body fat can have over Christmas break . Mamma’s home cooking might have got him . vbg

• BlueRedNeck
      12:58 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Too much of Mama’s red velvet cake?

8. tangledupinblue
    12:42 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Don’t know why I had that double post ??

• BobKYCats
      12:45 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

KSR works in mysterious ways.

9. BlueRedNeck
    12:59 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Glad to hear it was not something serious. He looked like his puppy had died sitting there on the bench. Didn’t really look to be in pain, but sure wasn’t enjoying himself or his team’s win. Had what I would describe as a very worried expression.

• Daniel
      1:08 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

didn’t go to the game… but I doubt he didn’t enjoy the win.. just looked like he wanted to play on TV.. He’s a team first player, don’t really care if people view me as a homer just my opinion from every Interview I’ve seen of him

10. Cotton Mash
    1:10 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

goofball Lachlan McLean on his show Monday night said the cramps were bogus… didn’t say what he really thought was the problem, but basically called the cramps a lie. Idiot.

• Real UK Fan
      3:03 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Mr. McLean is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He is just mad because UK could beat ul without the help of Randle in the second half. The realization of just how bad his ul team is going to be has come crashing down on his shoulders.

11. Bigcat4453
    2:15 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Lachlan makes his living off of creating controversy. I wouldn’t put too much weight on what he says!

12. DerbyDemon
    2:36 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

What exactly causes severe cramps like this? Does the player just get so dehydrated the cramps start or is it something else? He must have been badly dehydrated because didn’t the news report Randle got fluid during halftime? Are there some people more prone to cramps than others? Just wondering; I don’t know the answer on this one!

• BlueRedNeck
      3:52 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

There is some disagreement on whether they are caused by dehydration and electrolyte imbalance / depletion or something else like muscle exhaustion or fatigue. Possibly some combination. They can be severe enough to cause intense pain and even some muscle damage as the muscle actually tries to tear itself as it flexes uncontrollably. I have had them so bad in my calves that I had trouble walking for days after.

13. #9says
    2:36 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

Whew!

14. Mark
    4:13 pm December 31, 2013 Permalink

I served in the Navy in an engin room that was always about 110-120 degrees. We always salted our food, not heavy but a little so that water didn’t pass right through us so fast. Salt helps retain water so you don’t sweat it all out. Sports drinks have electrolites/Sodium and sugar in them. It is a good idea to drink plenty of water hours before sports. I have also played drums for about 43 years. In my younger days when I drank much beer, the sweat just poured out of you. You could taste the salt dripping down your face. Leg cramps so bad, I have almost fallen off the drum thrown. It is very painful and can hurt for days afterwards. It is always better to drink juice or water than beer when doing anything active. This includes some of the mountain biking I used to do. Randal could have maybe not drank enough fluids before the game, sodium might have been down. They have sports experts working with these guys. Now that they have seen a problem, I doubt if we will see it again. He will be fine. This team will be fine:)

15. Student