Julius Randle has a 35.5″ max vertical

The big guys are currently going through drills at the NBA Draft Combine, and Julius Randle just measured a 35.5″ on his max vertical (29″ standing vertical). That’s pretty good for his size, and the same max vertical that Blake Griffin had a few years ago.

Fellow big Noah Vonleh had a 37″ max vertical, and Aaron Gordon’s was so impressive they had to raise the bar:

The final measurement was 39″. Chad Ford said that the famous Andrew Wiggins vertical from yesterday was 44″.

Randle tweaked his ankle during the lane agility drills, but it doesn’t appear to be too serious. In other news, that’s the first time I’ve been able to write “tweak” in a month without throwing up a little in my mouth, so, progress.

16 Comments for Julius Randle has a 35.5″ max vertical

1. RealCatsFan
    2:20 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

35.5 is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty decent for a big.

I would love to see what Wiggins measures out at in regards to vertical. Is he participating? I would bet that his is over 40″. Have seen some video where he appears to have his chin above the rim.

2. BigCat13
    2:21 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Wasn’t paying to much attention yesterday, but wasn’t Wiggins vertical 44″?

• BigCat13
      2:29 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Wow… Kind of impressive. Thought I saw that yesterday. Thanks !

3. Haha
    2:29 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Wiggins vertical is 38″. Video and pics released yesterday.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:30 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Chad Ford just announced that Wiggins’ vertical from yesterday was 44″. He texted Wiggins’ agent on the air.

• BigCat13
      2:59 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Might want to look at your pic and video again…..

4. Oldguy
    2:43 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

If Randle used the same stop and plant technique as Gordon instead of running leap his veritical would have been higher. Just sayin’.

• RealCatsFan
      2:48 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Yep, you are totally correct. We teach our volleyball players to use that big arm swing like Gordon displays as well to use your whole body to maximize that vertical. A lot of basketball players are more used to jumping off one foot like Randle does, so not surprising. I wonder if they tested both ways.

5. Syrin
    2:44 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

This surprises me because he had times when he looked like he couldn’t jump over a phone book

• Haha
      3:40 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

When he was sleeping maybe,.

6. J-Dub421
    2:52 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

I wonder if they do any strength tests? That is where Randle would really stand out among his peers.

7. ThisGuy
    2:53 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

29″ standing vertical is not a very good number. However, I doubt this will have any impact on where he lands in the draft.

• Haha
      3:40 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Are you kidding?

8. Me
    4:22 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

I used to have a vertical over 40 inches back in the day. I won several “I have a 40 inch vertical” T-shirts at the Street Ball events. I was in my late 20s by the time I had it measured. So it was even higher when I was around 20. I’m only 6 foot but could dunk with ease. Oh, and I’m white.
    Those days are long gone sadly.

9. Mc
    4:23 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Chad Ford tweeted that the 39″ vertical by Gordon was third highest in combine history behind Miles Plumlee and Tyrus Thomas just to put this all into perspective.