John Robic missed tonight’s game to be with daughter battling cancer

Longtime Kentucky assistant John Robic was not on Kentucky’s sideline tonight, and for a very good reason. According to Kyle Tucker, Robic missed tonight’s game to be with his daughter Hayley, who is battling liver cancer. The family is currently at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center to consult with her doctors.

Hayley was diagnosed with the disease months ago and is looking for a transplant. A few weeks ago, the family put out a call on social media asking for help to find a donor.

“These past several months have been the hardest of my life,” Hayley wrote on Instagram. “After having emergency surgery, I’ve been diagnosed with liver cancer. Because of that, I will be getting a liver transplant and am in need of a donor. If you are interested in being tested to see if you’re a potential match, I’d be so grateful.”

The Big Blue Nation responded, with thousands of people filling out the form to find out if they’re a match. Robic told Seth Davis of The Athletic that Hayley has two tumors on her liver, one that has grown to 15 centimeters, roughly the size of a baked potato.

“Today has been — well, I can’t use the word overwhelming enough,” Robic told Davis of The Athletic. “The support for her has been great. I can’t thank everybody who reached out enough.”

As mentioned above, you can add your name to the potential donor list for not only Hayley, but others dealing with this life-threatening illness, by visiting this link.

Our thoughts continue to go out to the Robic family in this difficult time.

8 Comments for John Robic missed tonight’s game to be with daughter battling cancer

1. michaelb
    8:50 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

That’s such a sad occurrence , best wishes.

2. scwhite9
    8:56 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

I posted the message about her on my FaceBook. Hundreds told me they were sharing and/or trying to be tested. Anyway, I tried to sign up but if you are 70 or older you automatically cannot donate.I respect him so much.

From the first time I met Coach at the Women’s Clinic he has always been gracious, funny, and kind. I saw in Lebanon, TN, where I am from a billboard for someone looking for a kidney. I thought that was a great idea. I hope he reads this or someone tells him about it. If he wants to do it, I am sure there are many who would gladly chip in to pay for these.

Thanks, Sarah White

3. mashburnfan1
    8:56 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

He was exactly where he should’ve been. Best wishes to your entire family.

4. 4everUKBlue
    9:08 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Prayers for him and his family.

5. runningunnin.454
    9:12 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

God bless Hayley and the entire family. Puts things in perspective.

6. RealCatsFan
    9:14 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Things like this, and of course the tragedy with Kobe, really put things in perspective. I noticed that the trolls have been pretty quiet tonight; usually after an ugly win they are out in force. Maybe some of them are starting to see the light – in the grand scheme of things, basketball is pretty small. Prayers to Haley and Coach R.

7. 67ferrari
    9:19 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

They haven’t found a matching donor, yet??

8. Urincatland
    2:37 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Prayers for The Robic family!