John Petty on Ashton Hagans asking for Alabama rematch: “Challenge accepted.”

On January 9, the Kentucky Wildcats went into Tuscaloosa, Alabama and came away with a crushing loss. They came back at the end and had a chance to win at the buzzer, but the Cats couldn’t convert.

Fast forward two months, and Kentucky now has the opportunity for revenge in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals on Friday evening. With the Crimson Tide upsetting the Ole Miss Rebels in the second round tonight, they will now move on to take on the Cats.

And if you ask Kentucky point guard Ashton Hagans, that’s exactly how they wanted it.

“Oh, you know we all want Alabama to win,” he said on Tuesday afternoon. “(Our loss back in January) was a tough one, so we want to come back and be prepared for that one. It hurt us, you know?”

With the Crimson Tide moving on from their victory this evening, they quickly caught wind of Hagans’ comments and responded accordingly.

For Alabama guard John Petty, he said his team welcomes Hagans’ challenge with open arms.

I mean, challenge accepted,” he said. “We’re always going to accept a challenge once it’s been given, so we’re going to have to come out and play our best basketball and keep all their great players under control.”

As for junior guard Tevin Mack, who scorched the Cats for 22 points and six 3-pointers in their previous matchup, he made it obvious that he would be using Hagans’ words as motivation tomorrow night.

“Oh forreal? That’s cool,” he said with a smirk. “That’s all I’ve gotta say about it. That’s cool.”

Alabama head coach Avery Johnson wouldn’t engage in any player banter, but did say that he was happy that a player of Hagans’ caliber was wanting to take on his team.

“Well you know I’m not going to get into a verbal sparring match with the players, I’m too old for that,” he said. “But Hagans is a terrific player, a co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year, causes havoc… I’m glad that he wanted to play us.”

Petty, who finished with six points and two blocks last time around, said he understands that this matchup will be a tough one for his Alabama team. Kentucky is a completely different team from two months ago, after all.

“We know it’s going to be a great game, highly-anticipated, guys are going to come out remembering what happened in Tuscaloosa,” he said. “We’re going to have to be physical and ready. … We know they’re a totally different team than when we played them last time.”

Sitting at 18-14 on the year, Alabama’s NCAA Tournament hopes likely ride on how they fare this week. With a win over Kentucky tomorrow, Mack believes his team has a great shot at making the big dance.

“That’d be huge,” he said. “I bet that’d be huge for our chances. I bet it’d secure (a bid) for us, so we really need to think about that tomorrow.”

Kentucky has knocked Alabama out of the SEC Tournament in three consecutive years.

Can they break their hearts and make it four tomorrow?

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

28 Comments for John Petty on Ashton Hagans asking for Alabama rematch: “Challenge accepted.”

1. uknbama
    11:35 pm March 14, 2019 Permalink

John Petty, who scored 2 points and didn’t even start, has fallen off a cliff as far as his 5 star status. He has followed the same path of Trevor Lacy. Sad.

2. kentuckyfan101
    11:50 pm March 14, 2019 Permalink

Alabama doesn’t have a shot tomorrow especially now that Reid is playing. We aren’t a great matchup for them

• mashburnfan1
      12:41 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

This comment makes no sense, you act like he did not play when we lost to them. Reid played 29 minutes the first game, in fact he had 5 of our 11 turnovers. Rosters are identical to the first time we played yet they won so we must have been a pretty good matchup for them. Now they had no business beating us but they did. We should beat them by 15 or so, but we should have last time as well. But this comment by 101 makes zero sense, yet I will be bashed for once again pointing out a fact.

• AFVetODS
      1:01 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Dude, no one should trash what you said…it was facts, if someone says anything to you about bringing up facts then they are delusional. We still SHOULD win by 14-18 points!

• catsarerunnin
      7:15 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

You never make sense Slater.

• StuckinLville
      9:01 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

The difference is UK is a completely different defensive team.

• 4everUKblue
      12:48 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

That was Jan 5th Gashburn and I doubt you’ve noticed but this is not the same team or have you been too busy sucking up to dUKe?! You’re a pathetic non UK fan and a real POS.

• 4everUKblue
      12:49 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

And besides that you’re a f_ing idiot.

• wyatts1
      1:44 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

What’s with the bashing of mashburn?? His comments may be unpopular to say the least but I’ve not seen anything that makes me think he’s like the pitino guy, or big blue or whatever their names are. From his comment above I see nothing to bash him about. But what do I know lol I’m just bored reading comments on ksr message board cause I don’t have work tomorrow

• Miller45
      4:57 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Seriously 4ever c’mon man acting like that brings about no quality substance

• weneedpitino
      6:38 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Mr. Wyatt sir what’s that supposed to mean? I bring very good, truthful, positive Intel to the conversation at all costs. Mama weneedpitino told me if I keep it up that I might get a job offer as a sports analyst or something. Go cats!!

• catsarerunnin
      7:16 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Two Slater posts using different IDs but yet the same stupidity.

• 4everUKblue
      8:11 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

All you gashburn lovers let me know the next time you see him post something positive about Kentucky instead of any team not name Kentucky. You guys are delusional if you think we should win every game by 14-18 points, we do get everyone’s best and always have. I’m sure you were all perfect with no bad days when you were 18 and 19 yrs old. And Miller, your comment really brought some substance.

• Irish son
      8:17 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

You now have the dumbest reply on KSR.

3. Wade
    11:57 pm March 14, 2019 Permalink

We need a good 1st half! Time to set the tone.

4. KYFAN4LYFE
    12:09 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

I hope we utterly destroy this team tomorrow. Winning isn’t good enough…needs to be a 20+ pt beatdown.

• SuperTroy18
      1:52 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.

5. az1006
    12:30 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh for real? That’s cool. They can manufacture motivation anyway they want, but I know our guys will be motivated after losing in January. Cats by 15

6. AFVetODS
    12:33 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Anyone know if KSR is doing a live show in the morning? Haven’t seen any posts about it. If so, anyone know where and when? Thanks!

7. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    12:35 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Challenge accepted, yeah right, Hagans probably heard that and laughed a little. They don’t realize the challange Kentucky has become. Cat’s by 15 and Hagans will make Petty cry.

8. Miller45
    1:03 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Of courses you are going to want a chance to return the favor to an early season loss, what are you supposed to say seriously??

9. Miller45
    1:07 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Donta Hall can definitely do some damage. Keldon needs to go right at him

• AFVetODS
      1:11 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

So true, he was a monster tonight! Hope we can contain him on his offensive rebounding!

• Skooms
      5:46 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Agree! Also while I’m completely ecstatic about Reid being back, this may be a game where Richards and/or EJ are able to make some noise.

10. cats646
    8:46 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

Petty’s hair is bigger than his entire body. Bring’em on!!

11. StuckinLville
    8:59 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s ashame we gotta look at that hair. Glad he didn’t end up at UK. That’s too much.

• RealCatsFan
      9:35 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

I have no problem with his hair – not that much different than Nick’s. But I still want to beat them. GO CATS!

12. KYjellyRoll
    10:40 am March 15, 2019 Permalink

I watched the 98’ game against duke in the tourney and Ashton is very similar to Wayne turner in build