John Higgins voted one of the best referees in college basketball (Yes, really)

Kentucky found out the hard way that all referees aren’t created equal when John Higgins blew several calls in the Cats’ game vs. North Carolina in the Elite Eight, but somehow, he’s still considered one of the best in the sport. In the latest installment of the CBS Sports “Candid Coaches” series, more than 100 college basketball coaches were asked who they believe is the best referee in the sport, and SEVEN percent voted for Higgins, who tied for fourth. Oh boy. Although Calipari and Higgins’ dislike for one another is well known, especially after this year’s tournament, one coach (speaking anonymously) said he’s never noticed a bias:

“I think he’s fair. I think he lets the players dictate the game. I think that he’s not influenced by any coach. I don’t think any coach intimidates him. If you see where he’s at every year, you see he’s almost always in the Final Four. Like him, don’t like him, I think he’s the fairest and absolutely the most consistent official.”

Contrast that with this quote from another coach.

“There’s some guys out there, John Higgins — don’t get me started.”

That might actually have been Calipari because I feel the same way.

The top three refs in the game, per the anonymous poll? Roger Ayers, Mike Eades, and Teddy “TV” Valentine. Ayers, who received 20% of the vote, is another “don’t get me started.” Kentucky is 7-9 in games officiated by Ayers in the Calipari Era, and while the thought of him winning this poll is laughable, Higgins finishing fourth after his performance in the North Carolina game is abominable. If you want to get angry all over again, just check out Drew’s breakdown of his terrible performance from March:

No more John Higgins please.

Just don’t leave him any death threats.

[CBS Sports]

20 Comments for John Higgins voted one of the best referees in college basketball (Yes, really)

1. KYcats11
    3:32 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

Let me guess, that quote was from ole Roy

2. meeksfor3
    3:38 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

Well the UNC coaches gave him a vote for sure but this is just a sad commentary on the state of College officiating if these are the best they have to offer. It’s almost like choosing between aids, crabs or the clap.

• Mathlete
      4:08 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

Definitely take crabs between those three:

AIDS – Incurable, ruins your immune system so any infection could be the one to kill you.

Gonorrhea – could sterilize you if it’s one of the antibiotic resistant strains, plus burning sensations every time you pee seems painful.

Crabs – itchy and embarrassing, but easily fixed with medicated shampoo. No one has ever died from this.

3. Mathlete
    4:04 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

Is it wrong that I hope Higgins suffers a high ankle sprain before the tournament? On the one hand, I’m wishing for a guy to get hurt so he can’t officiate and ruin a game (or 6), but on the other hand it’s just a sprained ankle and (probably) wouldn’t kill him.

• chris43
      6:11 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

How about this…..I HOPE he blows his knee out and tears his ACL badly and it out for the season and decides to retire. Yup! That’s right Higgins I hope that you do and would laugh like hell if it happened. Go tell your lawyer….last I checked we are still allowed to hope for things in this country. 😎

• Mathlete
      9:06 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think there’s a legal issue involved in hoping for him to injure himself, it’s more of an ethical/moral dilemma

• chris43
      5:28 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I was being sarcastic……;)
      But I would get a great chuckle if it were to happen….

4. secrick
    4:13 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

TYLER be careful you might hurt his feelings and he will go to his ATTY about you.

5. Kat4Life
    4:14 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

I’m going to respectfully disagree….Higgins is horrible

6. BlueGrass
    4:18 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

I think this article just goes to show how biased he is. If he’s such a “good” ref then why does he consistently perform so poorly when he calls games against Cal. I don’t think he just forgets how to ref…he’s obviously just got an issue when refing against Cal and UK. Thus, even more reason to not let him call UK games ever again.

• meeksfor3
      8:20 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Good point

7. J-Dub421
    4:33 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, Higgins is such a great ref he can’t even manage to call an obvious shot clock violation when he’s looking right at it.

• DrSayre
      4:46 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

But he can spot a foul 94 feet away! He’s like a super hero!

8. DrSayre
    4:40 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

This post has been flagged by the Omaha Police Department

9. az1006
    4:52 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

Real question here…Is it possible that coaches are rattling off the names of officials they know and recognize the best? Let’s be honest…Even for diehard fans like all of us that pay attention to the officials damn near every night…It would be difficult to rattle off the names of more than 4 or 5 refs without looking them up. While head coaches, I’m sure, are on a more name-to-name basis with officials, they have so many other things to focus on that I’d bet the same could be said for them. These are just the most well-known and recognizable (for better or worse). I don’t think it’s anything else.

• DrSayre
      4:55 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

You have a good point… the only referees I really know are the ones that I dont like (Doug Shows, John Higgins, Pat Adams, etc.).

• KYcats11
      5:54 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

I agree, if you are a ref, it means you’re doing a good job if your name is unknown.

10. Reuben Cuban
    5:20 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

I recall being appalled by his outlandishly poor officiating in the WVU vs Gonzaga which preceded the KENTUCKY loss to UNC. Indubitably, the guy sucks as an official. He needs to be fired and black balled.

11. AirRaid98
    11:07 pm August 29, 2017 Permalink

The fact that people know officials by name screams they stink

12. Ky ski nut
    8:01 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

He looks like a Jon Gruden sex doll with a smidgen of Asperger’s.