John Calipari’s newest statistical recruiting pitch

Kentucky head coach John Calipari doesn’t need many more “bullets in his recruiting gun.” We could sit here and list everything that he has to offer players who are considering coming to Lexington. Cough cough… Kerry Blackshear… cough cough

What he is still trying to figure out is how to surpass Duke when they go head to head. Well, if he is recruiting a big man, ESPN has helped him out with a stat that no one can argue.

Only three active players have averaged at least 20 points and at least 10 rebounds since they entered the league, all three played basketball at Kentucky.

I doubt Calipari has to sit and show recruits about what these guys are doing, but this is definitely a stat to keep in the back of his mind to throw out when necessary.

Now with Davis making the move to Los Angeles, it will be interesting to see if he could combine with LeBron to make a run at an NBA Title. It is obvious that the Lakers are going to need a lot more help than Davis, James and Kyle Kuzma, so could we see DeMarcus join him and Rondo in LA as well? It will be interesting to watch.

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

7 Comments for John Calipari’s newest statistical recruiting pitch

1. runningunnin.454
    12:32 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

Math is an exact science, and numbers don’t lie…love that.

2. Smyrna_Cat
    12:42 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

I would be marketing the tar out of that.

3. a21CATSfan
    12:58 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

This is something I have just not understood for awhile, now. Arguably 3 of the best 5 bigs in the league are from Kentucky, and Cal has missed out on most of bigs coming out of high school lately. No Wiseman, no Stewart, no Carey, no McDaniels, no Hurt, Bol, or Zion, no Naz Reid, Bagley, Bamba, Ayton, Giles, Bolden, Allen, or Leaf, no Cheick Diallo, Stone, Ellenson or Zimmerman. If my memory serves me right, since 2015 Cal has offered every one of these highly sought after bigs (and there’s more), and yes he may have dodged a couple bullets, but that’s way too many no’s to have AD, Cousins and KAT as former players. CATS

• UKLugo
      1:25 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

1 championship.
      That the counter pitch.

• Catsfan1715
      2:57 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

And only 2 other schools (since he started at UK) can use that counter pitch. Uconn isn’t relevant. To which we can counter, most ff, most ee, most s16, most wins etc. all he needs is one ship to have an edge in every statistical category in existence for his time at UK. I like his chances of doing that, every year, albeit extremely difficult!

• pcefrog5
      4:35 pm June 17, 2019 Permalink

I have wonder the same and believe the answer to that question lies with the 3 pt shot. I researched just how many 3 pt shots have been attempted by the center position during Cal’s tenure and the results are pretty eye opening. During Cal’s tenure, the Center position has attempted a grand total of 60 3pt shots. You mentioned 2015 as the beginning of the decline and interestingly the 2 seasons before 2015 reveal that the Center position had 0 3pt attempts. Its seems to me the best counter pitch to these bigs that have shown an ability to shoot from range is….If you go to UK, your perimeter game will die for a year.

4. dballrb
    1:39 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

I avg.6.2ppg/4.3 boards…..Where do I sign????