Tomorrow night, John Calipari will be honored at UMass as part of the program’s 20th anniversary celebration of the 1995-1996 Final Four team. Yesterday, the Boston Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy wrote another Calipari hit piece in which he shamed UMass for honoring Cal, calling him everything from a “snake oil salesman” to a “glorified AAU bag man.” As Taylor Swift and Calipari would say, haters gonna hate, right?

This morning, Calipari went on the Dennis & Callahan Morning Show in Boston to talk about the festivities at UMass, and when asked about the Shaughnessy piece, things got a little awkward.

“This is a time to celebrate an era of basketball, I’m not worried about what somebody thinks. None of those guys can steal our joy,” Calipari said. “What we did, we did it right. We did it right. We had good kids who did what they’re supposed to. They graduated. I didn’t have one-and-dones back then.”

Then, one of the hosts cut him off and insisted Calipari and his staff did NOT do it right.

John, I’m sorry, you can’t say you did it right. Marcus [Camby] got caught with hookers, he received diamonds and stuff. You didn’t do it right, come on.”

Despite Calipari’s attempt to move the dialogue back to tomorrow night’s celebrations, the hosts kept at it, asking Cal if he knew if Marcus Camby broke the rules.

“No. We didn’t know anything. And what we did was everything ahead of schedule and we were on top of everything we did and again, they said we didn’t know nor should have known,” Cal said. “Here’s what I’ll say to you. That kid, you know what he ends up doing in the end? He ends up paying the money back the school lost. It was about $150,000 and he paid the money back. It’s never been done before. We were the ones who got Marcus Camby to talk–he was in the NBA, he doesn’t need to talk to the NCAA. There were other players at other schools involved, they wouldn’t talk to the NCAA. We got our guy to talk to the NCAA. And he paid the money back. I’m not embarrassed by anything we’ve done. I’m proud of what we’ve done.”

From there, Calipari wrapped up the interview, giving the hosts the ole “I appreciate you” line.

“I’m walking into practice, I appreciate you guys. All the UMass fans out there, let’s enjoy this. Let’s enjoy our time. Let’s get behind Derek Kellogg and make this thing happen. Walking into practice guys. Appreciate it. Bye.”

Phew. Listen to the interview yourself below:

24 Comments for John Calipari went on a Boston radio show this morning and it got a little awkward

1. KTower
    10:55 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

I love Kentucky Basketball but Calipari makes me very nervous. Coach has a very shady past and I am afraid he will get the program into serious trouble with the NCAA and Calipari will end up with some NBA team.

• KentuckyHouse
      11:02 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Found the Louisville (troll) fan in Wildcat clothing.

• katmancsm
      11:06 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

You are a complete dipshit. Stay off our board.

• secrick
      11:45 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Stupid card fan , look at your cheating ass coach.

• channell
      11:52 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Explain the shady past and back it up with facts. Since the NCAA couldn’t, maybe you can.

• MIDDAY
      6:25 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Yes! I am scared to death as well! I mean, what would we do if we find out down the road that one of our assistant coaches was having hooker parties at the Lodge, paying hookers to service players, recruits and parents of recruits? That would really suck, and I’m so worried that might happen.

2. Delk for 3
    11:12 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Doesn’t make me nervous. Why would he have to break any rules here? You say, “come here and play in the NBA. Be like the other hundred NBA stars who have played here.” What more do you have to do to get recruits?

3. 2thepoint
    11:49 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Probably should be nervous about that big trophy about 70 miles down I-64!

4. BobNWeaver
    11:54 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

In this day and age when everyone knows the damage that can come with NCAA violations, it is not worth it for a top coach or top school to cheat. UK is being extra cautious and is following even the smallest of NCAA rules (such as not allowing peanut butter on bagels), and UK is certainly is following the major rules.

5. RealCatsFan
    11:58 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

At least Cal is willing to address the situation. Pitino would run from it, if he would be willing to be interviewed in the first place. He has not done a post game press conference since Ho-Gate broke.

6. nschulte13
    12:13 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

What a group of just terrible people.

7. CrazyCayts
    12:28 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Media does not load for me all I see is a blank square

8. Howdy Doody
    12:28 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Could be a lot worse, look what Memphis did to him…
    Your past does follow you all the way to the grave..
    Ask Hooker U and Pitino/Petrino.

9. clhcat
    12:52 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

As long as cal recruits elite athletes…..that aren’t necessarily good students…..that stuff could happen here. By the time those elite athletes that aren’t academically inclined get to college age they could have accumulated “handlers”…….or “advisors”. Those advisors don’t have Kentucky’s best interests at heart. I hate to say it……..but it wouldn’t surprise me.

• J-Dub421
      1:09 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Why are you assuming our team is made up of guys who are bad students? We’ve had the highest GPA in our conference for several years now, and it’s not just from the bench players and walk-ons.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:10 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Our APR has been among the highest in the SEC…. Cal recruits guys who also take care of their classroom obligations.

• RealCatsFan
      1:32 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Ask UNC if academics matter anyway. Apparently not, at least if you are a member of the “Golden Club”, AKA, the Atlantic Coast Conference.

10. grandepdre
    1:19 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Ironic the guy is attacked by a Boston media that defends and roots for a football organization that has a long history of cheating by any means necessary to gain a competitive advantage, even during the biggest games of the year. Shaughnessy has been no more than a nor-eastern print version of Skip Bayless for years anyway, and his own peers and co-workers detest him.

11. MegatonRange
    2:45 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

I’m sure whichever radio tool grilled Cal, has already added that to his resume, it’s a rite of passage for these types. If I were Cal, I’d just stay away from that kind of interview. These radio guys all get their shots in, because they control the mic. The advice used to be, never get in an argument with somebody that buys ink by the barrel, now it’s, don’t argue with somebody who controls the microphone. Heaven forbid somebody look at the backgrounds of these radio “hosts”, you never know, there might might be a skeleton or two rattling around in there.

12. 54Meeks
    3:57 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

This is actually a pretty funny interview…. “Pitinos down there at Louisville throwing pajama parties!”

13. dayworks
    5:49 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Honestly, when I listen to this interview all I hear is typical Boston sports culture. Them believing Calipari is crooked comes as no surprise. They think everyone is crooked including themselves for the most part. LOL!

14. KY Blue Blood
    6:51 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

That radio show sucks! They couldn’t wait to bag a whale so they kindly invited coach Cal on and then surprised him with a pre-planned ambush. I appreciate the response he gave.

Too anyone who has anything bad to say about Cal (Can’t use bad language or say insults, so…)

I hope you have the best day EVER and you DON’T crap your pants while stuck in traffic!

And today’s opposites day! 🙂

15. dukes_of_maggard
    9:37 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

haha east coast sports talk radio…