John Calipari wants fans to stay classy

cal-lsu

This morning, ESPN reported that referee John Higgins received death threats from Kentucky fans after some questionable calls in Kentucky’s loss to North Carolina on Sunday. In response, John Calipari just tweeted a reminder to fans to stay classy.

“Just landed in Houston. Before I head to Phoenix, I wanted to take this time to thank our fans for their support all season long. I always brag that we have the classiest fans in the country. Let’s make sure we remain that way even after a tough loss.”

The officiating on Sunday has been a hot topic in recent days, and it’s worth pointing out that it was the first thing John Calipari brought up when he sat down at the podium for his postgame press conference Sunday night.

“You know, it’s amazing that we were in that game where they practically fouled out my team,” Cal said. “Amazing that we had a chance.”

But, complaining about the officiating and threatening a referee’s life or livelihood are entirely different things, and the latter is downright embarrassing for our fanbase. Now, can we please move on?

43 Comments for John Calipari wants fans to stay classy

1. Kat4Life
    3:49 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Dear god……I hope that first post from BigBluSoTru was a joke…..because if it was serious I am beyond embarrassed for our program, our state, and his parents…….please tell me that was a tongue-in-cheek comment…….please………

• J-Dub421
      3:51 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

He’s a U of L troll who used to post on here about a year ago. He disappeared for a long time, but has apparently returned to trolling because he clearly has no life.

• runningunnin.454
      4:38 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

What first post? What are you two talking about?
      ?????

• J-Dub421
      4:43 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

It got deleted. It was BigbluSoTru again. Infact his many posts on this thread and others seem to be gone, so he likely got the boot.

• catsarerunnin
      4:47 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

I could name some others who need booted.

• runningunnin.454
      5:02 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

That’s funny; but WeareBBN and I were having a debate under the “ESPN Reports Death Threats” thread from this morning; and, his original comment is gone. I thought he deleted it somehow…I look like I’m replying to thin air, and that makes me look like an idiot.
      Actually wish they wouldn’t do that.

• CATandMONKEY
      7:49 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

FWIW Runnningunnin , we know who the idiot is and he doesn’t have .454 in his screen name.

2. chris43
    3:56 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

While I don’t agree with the death threats. I see nothing wrong with the rest. Some hell needs to be raised and a lot of it! Hopefully by doing so the NCAA with be forced to take a look into the matter. Mr Higgins has an agenda and most likely got a nice payday on those bad calls. He played a big part making us lose the game and has did so quite a few time. He needs to be investigated. Hopefully they make him a full time roofer and no more officiating games.

• Angelo
      4:59 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Was he the same guy that called technicals seven games in a row? On us?

3. OldhamCoCatsFan
    4:04 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Completely with you about threats to the man’s life as well as any phone calls to him. But to say that the posts on the man’s yelp page (the humorous posts like those that KSR has shared on the website) are hardly a threat to the man’s livelihood. He makes over $300k a year being a referee (and a terrible one at that). I think his livelihood will be just fine.

• Sentient Third Eye
      4:11 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Does he do all the roofing himself? What about the harm to their livelihood when online bullying threatens the business? What if all this hurt business such that these employees were no longer needed? It does harm to people who have absolutely nothing to do with officiating at all.

• TBW3011
      4:40 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Fair points. He should think about that next time he tries to screw kids out of a game because he doesn’t like their coach.

• dballrb
      7:44 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Amen!!!!!

• PillsburyThrowboy
      4:16 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

This is such a stupid post. Just because he makes $300k as a referee doesn’t mean you aren’t effecting his livelihood. The guy probably has a mortgage, a family and a retirement plan to support. It’s probably all proportional to how much he is making a year. So it’s ok to cut into his income because he “made us lose the game”. Get real dude.

• dballrb
      7:46 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

His pockets are phat from the shaving he did,I don’t think he’s in need of cash anytime soon. .

• chris43
      8:55 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

I could careless about his “livelihood” just as I’m 100% positive that he could careless about mine or any of yours! The fact is he screwed a bunch of kids and broke the hearts of thousands of fans with his crappy one sided calls! NCAA officials should be held to a higher standard. They should be 100% neutral. IF it’s ever revealed that they’re a fan of a team or dislike a team or coach they should not be allowed to ref those game….case closed. He’s made it VERY CLEAR THAT HE HATES UK!!! Those are his own words from his Facebook page.

• catsarerunnin
      4:19 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

The free advertising his company is receiving will cause business to go through the roof. No pun intended.

• OldhamCoCatsFan
      4:31 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Well, several points in regards to Sentient’s post. First off, Mrs. Tyler said nothing regarding his employee’s livelihoods, she was referencing Higgins alone and I was responding as such. But you do bring up a good point regarding his employees. However I feel that making the jump from some bad yelp/facebook reviews into losing employees could be a bit of a stretch. But similar situations happen all the time. Take for instance Arthur Andersen (the now defunct accounting firm). A few people’s bad and unethical decisions led to the collapse of the company and the loss of jobs for over 85,000 people. Sometimes, bad things can happen to good people depending on who you associate yourself with.

• dballrb
      7:49 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Sometimes people end up wearing concrete shoes too.

• OldhamCoCatsFan
      4:37 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

To PillsburyThrowboy (love the name btw), are you telling me that his family couldn’t get by on $300k a year? Is that really your argument? When things happen in peoples work lives (pay cuts, having to support an elderly parent, etc) you can adjust your expenses. If he lives in a 5 million dollar house, he may have to sell it and downsize to a 2 million dollar house. All I am saying is I am pretty sure you can live a pretty good life on $300k a year (I know I could). Also, where did I ever say ‘he made us lose the game”?

4. KYcats11
    4:15 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Mrs TT, do you think if (hopefully they wont) put John higgins on another UK game, Higgins will favor our team more so he doesn’t have to put up with this again. Or, do you think he will try to screw us even more? Or do you think because of all this, the NCAA will never put him on our games again. I’m hoping for the latter.

• TBW3011
      5:11 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Bet he doesn’t do anymore of our games. Regardless, if he does I’d be willing to bet the ROOF over my head he’ll keep his personal vendettas out of it. ALL eyes will really be on him.

5. KYcats11
    4:19 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

We still have more class than UNC players, because they don’t go to any.

6. Underdog
    4:29 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Did UNC ever receive even a slap on the wrist for their institutional academic fraud?

I don’t recall any. Life as normal? Better than normal?

Now let’s recall the UNC / Arkansas game on March 19th. The 5 steps and charge by Berry with no call, that resulted in a made layup by Meeks, putting UNC up by 3 with 40 seconds. Even Berry knew he walked or charged. He stopped, full well knowing the whistle was coming. It DIDN’T. UNC was blown for just 10 calls the ENTIRE game and NEVER got into the bonus BOTH the first and second half.

Now think of the hose job UK got in the first half against UNC.

Is the NCAA is in fact favoring UNC by not sanctioning them and by giving them preferential treatment on the court by refs?

7. leon singleton
    4:35 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

The NCAA needs to show a little class by putting North Carolina on probation for fake classes and letting pedophiles use the girls rest room.

8. TBW3011
    4:38 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Was going to ask KSR the EXACT same question. Can we move on? Or still another 14 posts regarding this?

9. madarchitect
    4:40 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Leon – you are an idiot.

10. secrick
    4:40 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

This story is getting way over hyped. Let it drop and get on with sports.Stop talking about it.

11. Wildcat Sheli
    5:03 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Agree that we need to stay classy. And agree that we don’t need to cross ethical lines to have our voices heard. Those few who did are distractions to the real issue at hand.

As Cal said on Sunday following the game, “it’s all on tape” for the world to see. YEARS of it, not just from Sunday. Higgins officiated heartbreaking and controversial losses in 2005, 2011, 2015 and 2017. I cannot “move on”.

After the heartbreak of Wisconsin, some of us were laughed at. We were told to stop whining and we eventually did. But we didn’t forget. I’m sick and tired of saying “Not. Over. It.” every time Wisconsin is brought up. Now I’m saying, “Never Again!” I cannot let it go. Not after Sunday. Not after seeing our team heartbroken. Not after the outcry from former players who know what it’s like to wear the UK uniform. Not after it was noticed from even the National Media. Hopefully, there will be so much visual evidence of erroneous officiating that Higgins will never referee another UK game. I don’t know what his motives are and I’m not judging them. But I know I cannot let it go until the collective voice of the BBN has been heard and the proof has been seen! “Never Again!”

For our beloved 2005, 2011, 2015 and 2017 Teams. They deserved better.

12. runningunnin.454
    5:19 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

An unfortunate side note to all this is that Cal is going to the Final Four and will probably be interviewed…possibly on live TV.
    He could have been an advocate for officiating changes such as challenges to a call, with a review mechanism, and other possibilities.
    Now, He can’t even bring it up.

13. chris43
    6:37 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Check out Higgins facebook page/twitter! He admits that “he hates KENTUCKY”…..why is this man allowed to ref? He also says “BBN TROLLS you think you can hurt me? Remember I’m the o e with the whistle when you’re striving for 9!!!!!” If the NCAA doesn’t shut him down…it just proves BBN’s point!

• runningunnin.454
      6:43 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Are you serious?
      If we ever see him again, we should picket the NCAA…he is a punk.

• runningunnin.454
      6:56 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

I’ve been thinking about those quotes; that has to be a fake account. The NCAA couldn’t allow him to call any games if he really made statements like that.

14. chris43
    8:49 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

NCAA: This Petition is to vacate John Higgins from Referee another UK basketball game – Sign the Petition! https://www.change.org/p/ncaa-this-petition-is-to-vacate-john-higgins-from-referee-another-uk-basketball-game?recruiter=702383267
    Please sign it!

15. believeblue
    10:16 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

This is getting out of control. I’m sick of BBN getting chastised over the death threats. Someone made a threat which is clearly against the law. Find them and prosecute, but blaming our fan base is crazy. That’s like saying you’re a pervert because you’re a Penn State fan. Who knows if the treats where even made by a U.K. Fan.

16. Howdy Doody
    8:59 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Kentucky is a State that has always been in the bottom five of virtually every category used for ranking States. In education, healthcare, life expectancy, average income, etc. the State has horrific results. Its only source of pride is the UK basketball team. As is often the case, sports becomes the opiate of repressed masses.
    There’s a real simple solution, bar UK from post season play next year. Fans, supports and possibly students and alumni are threatening to kill this man over a basketball game. How can that not be taken seriously by the NCAA and the University of Kentucky? Barring them from post season play for one year will show all the importance of protecting officials from lunatics. One day, someone will follow through on this threat.