After reflecting on the nationwide protests against racial inequality, John Calipari has come up with one way he can help. On this morning’s “Coffee with Cal,” Calipari shared his plans to establish an executive development program for minorities in the athletics department at UK. The program would include internships in fields like media relations, radio, TV, marketing, management, compliance, and strength and conditioning.

“Creating access and opportunity. Creating hope. That, you have a chance if you work and you do your thing, there are things out there for you. I want to start, and I proposed this to our school, an internship program, an executive development program for minorities in athletics.”

Calipari has already pitched the idea to UK and reached out to ESPN’s Maria Taylor for advice. Taylor has her own foundation to help minorities in radio and television and is already offering to send candidates his way.

“I want leaders in this thing, minority leaders to come in and say, ‘Look, I want this opportunity,'” Cal said. “I look at this and say, our athletic departments need to start looking different so that coaches can start looking different, so ADs can start looking different. Maybe the Board of Trustees starts looking different, those presidents start looking different, which changes the whole dynamic of what we’re dealing with.”

While Calipari said he feels helpless when it comes to issues like police brutality and the criminal justice system, he knows he can use his position to create access and opportunities for persons of color. It’s a cause near and dear to his heart because “it all comes back to African American families trusting me with their sons.”

“Really, this internship, I’m on this. And what I hope is, other universities look at it and say, we should do the same. Maybe some business in Lexington I grab and say, ‘Why don’t you do the same?’ And all of a sudden, we’ve created access and opportunity. We can’t give you a job but we can give you a path to the job. And I think that’s what I’d like to do.”

Check out Calipari’s comments below, along with the rest of his conversation with former Cat Reid Travis, NBA All-Star Victor Oladipo, former Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, and Harvard Basketball coach Tommy Amaker.

Join John Calipari and his guests, Marvin Lewis, Reid Travis, Victor Oladipo, and Tommy Amaker for the eighth episode of Coffee with Cal in partnership with CustMbite!

Posted by John Calipari FBE on Monday, June 8, 2020

17 Comments for John Calipari to establish athletics executive development program for minorities

1. UKFanSC
    12:28 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Certainly a genuine, well-intentioned gesture. The outpouring of corporate and institutional support for all things BLM has been nothing short of amazing. The desire to accommodate virtually any request or demand attached to “social justice” has created a stampede of race-shamed white folk, tripping over themselves to apply as much visible salve to the wound as possible.
    Venerate that martyr ! Remove those statues ! Fire those officers ! Disband that police force…,.hell, disband them all !! Rename streets, rename schools, remake history, and do it now dammit !! Let’s make America woke again…. now step aside and one of our social engineers will tell you how it’s done.

• madarchitect
      12:58 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Dig deep down and maybe you’ll figure out why this triggers you so much.

• rlee7932
      1:03 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

madarchitect do you have evidence that he has any sense of self-awareness that would allow that?

• UKFanSC
      2:03 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

I’m actually pretty self aware. But the absurdity is gaining comical proportions….. for example in Cary, NC, on Saturday, the self-abasement took on religious tones when white people knelt to wash the feet of black protest organizers in a ritual described by a woman with a megaphone as “repentance on behalf of Caucasian people.”

A white foot washer took over the megaphone at one point to say: “It’s our honor to be here on behalf … of all of the white race … repenting for our pride.”

Seriously ??

• TPACAT
      2:47 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Yep. Hostage video talk from every direction at this point. Logic completely out the window. Now if you don’t say anything at all your a white supremacist. Disgraceful…

• 4everUKBlue
      2:14 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Yep SC social engineering is a tactic that completely escapes most people. Robt E Lee is that you?

• Cletis75
      2:53 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Madarchitect, it only triggers me because my kids aren’t going to get the same opportunity based solely on the color of their skin!

• rlee7932
      4:40 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Hey SC fan you mean washing feet like this?

Why do you hate our players?

• rlee7932
      4:48 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

4everUKBlue
      Im pretty sure the following is the type of “social engineering” you and your ilk practice

Good luck with that.
      Oh and not Robert and Lee is my middle name a family name from my traitor side of the family

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:58 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

rlee, washing feet the way the players did was an act of service, much like the example Christ gave us. If you help someone across the street because they need help, that’s the same thing.

The example He gave us was not for a few people to kneel in shame, in a practically worshipful manner, and presume to speak for billions of other people while making a spectacle of the whole thing. Wash other’s feet? Great! But not in the way these folks did it. It’s all about motivation.

• 4everUKBlue
      7:20 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Robt E Lee, you really need to educate yourself on what exactly social engineering means. You just proved my point that it’s a tactic that totally escapes your ilk. Stay asleep, it’s easier than looking at the truth.

• rlee7932
      8:28 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Oh please educate me on your definition of Social engineering, because when I read your posts all I can do is picture
      your Venn Diagram with intersections of David Duke, Fox News, 76 camaros on blocks in your front yard, and cheap beer

• UKFanSC
      8:36 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

I learned a long time ago not to argue with an irrational mind. Sadly our Robt E Lee is nothing like his namesake, who was truly a gentleman in every sense of the word. Our Lee just wants to shove as much of his maniacal BS down our throats as possible. Just wants to argue.

2. mcp157
    12:46 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Let’s see African Americans make up the majority of their two big bread winning sports, men’s football and basketball. Politically correct but a no brainer!

3. Catuary
    8:04 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

Minorities in athletics are Asians and Caucasians.