John Calipari Ties Joe B. Hall for Wins by a Kentucky Head Coach

Coach Cal is in good company.

With Kentucky’s 66-58 victory over Missouri, John Calipari earned his 297th victory as Kentucky’s head basketball coach, tying Joe B. Hall for second-most in school history.

“I wish I hadn’t,” Calipari said after the game.  “What Coach Hall did for Kentucky — following an absolute legend, maybe one of the greatest to ever coach this game.  He had to walk in and follow Adolph Rupp. Then get to Final Fours, win a National Title. I mean, what he did here, how he did it, and then he’s become my mentor and my friend.

“From day one, he’s been in practice.  He’s still trying to get me to play that crazy 1-3-1.  He tells me all the time, ‘You need to play it.  I’m telling ya, I can put it in in a day.’  I say, ‘Put it in, Coach.’

“Our fans have been so great to him, but you want him to have his place in history.  It’s kind of like, you probably shouldn’t stay here long enough to win more games than him.”

Calipari was not eager to surpass Joe B. Hall’s milestone.  To catch up with Rupp, he’ll have to have to be at UK for a long time.  Calipari currently trails the legend by 279 victories.  It’s safe to say that is out of the question.

“You guys here understand when you coach at Kentucky, it’s in dog years,” he grinned.  “This is my 70th year at Kentucky, so I don’t think I have many left.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for John Calipari Ties Joe B. Hall for Wins by a Kentucky Head Coach

1. Ridge Runner
    12:05 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

This win tonight is better being a “record tie win” versus a “tiebreaker win”. Kinda ugly.

• Ridge Runner
      12:06 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Still, both quality guys and credits to our legacy.

2. Soylentbeans
    12:53 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

If cal has been here for 10 years and has 297 why is it safe to say he wont get 279 more? I get that he would have to coach for 10 more to get 279.

• snoopjdawg
      10:10 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

I agree. He loves it here. He would be 70 years old and pass Rupp. He will need another title or two though. “Calipari Court” should be coming in the near future.

• jlm4301969
      11:42 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

He needs 579 wins to tie Rupp, not 279. So it would probably take 20 more years to reach Rupp.

• jlm4301969
      11:50 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Cal has averaged 30.6 wins per season, so he would have to maintain that pace another 19 years after this season to reach Rupp. He would be 79 going on 300 if he was still at UK in 2038 LOL..

3. KYjellyRoll
    8:22 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Cal will be here 5 more years at best in my opinion. For whatever that’s worth lol. But, he keeps saying that coaching here has aged his mind so much so I think that’s a hint that he’s getting close to hanging it up?

4. njCat
    11:38 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Let’s see how he adjusts when the NBA starts drafting high school kids again.