John Calipari still not sure Dontaie Allen is ready to play

After the Mississippi State game on Tuesday, John Calipari floated the possibility of playing Dontaie Allen this season. The former Pendleton County star has been working towards getting back into game shape after having surgery to repair a torn ACL a year ago and suffering a broken collarbone in a car wreck in April. After watching Allen in practice this week and talking with associate head coach Kenny Payne, Calipari told reporters he is still hesitant to burn the freshman’s redshirt, even after Kahlil Whitney’s departure a few weeks ago.

I’m not sure he’s ready yet. He’s going hard, but he’s never gone this hard. Now we need to see if he’s in any kind of shape. I asked Kenny [Payne], he said, ‘I don’t think he’s ready yet.’ So, we’ll see.”

“We don’t know how this is all going to play out. So, I don’t want to say [he won’t play this season], but what I don’t want to do is use a year of his eligibility for no reason. There’s got to be some reason we’re doing it.”

Calipari said Allen’s conditioning is improving, but he’s also catching up on the Xs and Os of the system, which his teammates are helping him with in practice.

“He’s behind in what we run and knowing all the stuff that we go through. He’s behind, but he’s trying. The great thing about this team is, we’ve got a bunch of great guys that are talking to him. ‘Go down, stay down, you’re coming off me.’ ‘Yeah, this time, on that pass!’ So, it’s funny to watch but you kind of let it go because I do want them to be coaching each other.”

When asked, Calipari said he liked the idea of college basketball adopting college football’s redshirt rules, which allow players to play up to four games (one-third) of the season without risking their eligibility; however, his concern will always be about what’s best for the player, not the program.

“It’s not about me and it’s not about the program; it’s about him. If you want to say, let’s do what’s right for us, you stick him in the game and hope he helps you win. If he doesn’t, you don’t play him anymore or whatever. I’ve said to him, ‘You get yourself into great shape and then we make a decision and we’ll make one based on what you think.'”

22 Comments for John Calipari still not sure Dontaie Allen is ready to play

1. BlueByYou
    1:25 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Wouldn’t the one thing he should know from watching practices, is what to do? The plays? The reads?

2. nicky
    1:36 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

“what I don’t want to do is use a year of his eligibility for no reason…”

Umm…this matters not

3. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:45 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

I don’t want to use a year.. translates into I don’t think he’s good enough to make it in 3.25 seasons. That’s a confidence builder right there.

4. Heavy C
    1:48 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Am I the only one who wouldn’t bet $5 that this kid ever plays for us? And I sure hope I’m wrong.

5. clarks
    2:33 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

I thought they did adopt the same redshirt rule as football for the other sports. Was a percentage of teams games so would have been more than the 4 in football

• ClutchCargo
      2:59 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

That is an exception for football only.

6. clarks
    2:35 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Also I love having him on the team, really think if his knee ends up ok he will have a career similiar to Darius Miller with maybe a little higher ceiling

7. Dr. Tom
    2:38 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Come on guys give this kid a break. You don’t think he is a good as Willis or Dom at this stage of development? Dontaie, take the rest of this year and get well. Then have a great four-year run at UK and make the doubters eat their words!!

• Bluehender

13. Dr. Tom
    2:38 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

14. Dr. Tom
    2:38 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

15. CALfacts
    3:09 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

If the kid is ready, and he thinks he is ready, then play! I mean not many guys with his ability stay 4 years anyway. They leave if not playing, or move on to the NBA so what’s the point of redshirt??

• ClutchCargo
      3:15 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

“ …I asked Kenny [Payne], he said, ‘I don’t think he’s ready yet.’ So, we’ll see.” – Cal

• nocode96
      4:15 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

You can’t go expecting folks to read the articles clutch, you know better!

• Skooms
      3:15 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Hey Dr. Tom, should we give this kid a break? Wasn’t for sure after posting it 10 times LOL