John Calipari signs contract extension to “finish career at Kentucky”

John Calipari is here to stay.

This afternoon Seth Davis reported thatUCLA talked extensively with the Kentucky head coach, before UK responded with a deal that would keep him at Kentucky for the rest of his life.  Tonight UK Athletics confirmed that deal will be signed to keep Calipari in Lexington.

“We can confirm that the University of Kentucky has agreed to terms on a long-term contract with Coach Calipari to finish his career at Kentucky,” said a UK spokesman.

Details of the new deal are not yet available. On his call-in show, Calipari revealed this deal has been in the works for quite some time.

“It had nothing to do with all the other stuff. Every year that I’m here, something at the end of the year happens. Someone’s trying to call or talk,” Calipari said. “You think of what we’ve built, the culture that we’ve built. We’ve done it all kind of different ways. We’ve got good kids. The academics, that we’re allowed to give lifetime scholarships. We’re allowed to bring these kids back.  We insure these kids. This is a situation and a culture that’s taken time to build. Where else would I want to coach?”

He added, “This is a unique place and I appreciate the opportunities I’ve had here.”

The timing is impeccable. Ten years ago to the date, John Calipari was introduced as the Cats’ head coach.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

186 Comments for John Calipari signs contract extension to “finish career at Kentucky”

1. UKfaninTX
    6:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

• katsrock
      6:25 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Not surprising he only mentioned something about a “culture” and not his results on the court.
      After 10 years and $50+ million in salary, he’s tied with Tubby.
      Pathetic.

• bigblue98
      6:35 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

You, my friend, are pathetic. You have to be a troll, because I refuse to believe any UK fans are that ignorant. If you’re not a troll then find another team to root for loser.

• KYCat4EVER
      6:51 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

SPOT ON katsrock! There are those in BBN who will celebrate this news… but they soon forget… the same moron who recruited!and hired Billy Gillespie… just gave Coach PROCESS a lifetime contract! LOL …

?

• Parker_UKFanNC
      7:09 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Some fans big dumb. No brain. See stats me know Cal great. Dumb fans just have opinion. (This message was sponsored by Hulk)

• Blue Bill
      7:15 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Friggin morons….. still waiting on one name of who they think can/will do better …… crickets…….

• Blue Bill
      7:14 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

And who do you morons want to replace him with.?? I’m still waiting……. there is no one better. Give me ONE name? I almost can’t wait until he does get tired of you trolls and leaves…. as much as I’ll hate the mediocrity I will love seeing you trolls really cry.

• bigblue98
      7:36 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Agree with you 100% – these morons want to get rid of Cal but don’t have a clue who they would hire. We have some of the biggest a**holes for fans that feel like they’re entitled to win a championship every year. I wonder if these same idiots always compete at the highest level at work and are better than their co-workers every single day. Based on their mindset, if not, then they should be fired.

• TB112162
      7:22 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

You are and idiot

• TB112162
      7:21 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Your and idiot

• shelby
      7:44 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Idiotic. Is he tied with Tubby in final 4s? Elite 8s? Wins at UK? Conference titles?

• blueblood4life
      12:09 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Damn dude I didn’t think people was that ignorant you just hit the jackpot!

• Bird88
      6:12 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Rick Pitino coached your cards for 15 years with 0 titles and 1 final four! Lmfao

• humboldt24
      6:34 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

katsrock – Please look at this graphic and try to argue that he’s not had the best 10 years of any coach in the nation.

After that, please hand in your resignation as a Cats fan and cheer for Villanova since they’re clearly a much better program for you these days.

• wallywildcat
      7:45 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

@TB112162…

TRY it one more time, I have faith in you.

• sdcast01
      7:02 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I genuinely don’t understand some people. Since John Wooden’s run ended in 1975 only 8 coaches have won multiple championships…Knight, Rat Face, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, Dean Smith, Billy D, Denny Crum, and Jay Wright. Calhoun was a cheater and Billy D only did it because his kids all deciddd together to come back for a senior season. (Kudos for him convincing them).

Regardless, my point is this has been the best 10 years of Kentucky Basketball in my 40 years on this earth. What else do people want? You want Cal to win the title 60% of the time? Well, I do too…I also want Carrie Underwood to sit on…well, you know.

He’s the right coach for our program…period. There’s nothing else to discuss. Take your complaining to Louisville.

• KatFan48
      8:19 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

He is the same “moron” who fired Billy. Great moves Mitch. Just locate BigolBlue aka lilolchicken and you all sing together THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING

• Jlm8699
      9:07 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The success I’ve seen in addition to no scandals is excellent.
      One and done essentially ruined game, and it’s now luck more than ever.

Like someone said, he is good person too, which should overwrite everything.

BBN would meltdown if he left..

Thanks for memories Cal..

• The Big Lebowski
      9:12 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

@BlueBill

Coach K has done better. (1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015)

Jay Wright, Villanova’s Coach, has done just as well. Championships in 2016 and 2018.

Roy Williams has done just as well. 2009 and 2017 NCs.

And there are Coaches who will do well in the future.

One can never tell the future. I can guess, though, that Cal will not reach another Final Four without some adjustments and realizations. He needs a talent boom to win. He can’t win on coaching alone. Davis and MKG won that title. Cal helped to coach them to it. Cal probabl isn’t going to have that kind of overwhelming talent again. K is out-recruiting him consistently and will probably continue to do so. I believe that Cal would have won with the talent that K had. K can get that talent now since he buckled to the One and Done template. K, in my opinion, cannot coach that kind of talent, though. Not like Cal can.

K can win with lessor talent. He seems to do better with that 2nd tier talent plus one Uber Elite dude. Cal does better with the Uber Elite than anyone else.

It’s an odd paradigm.

If K keeps getting the level of talent that he has the past few years, he’ll be Elite Eight or less. If Cal doesn’t get it, he’ll be Elite Eight or less.

If it didn’t involve Kentucky, it would be kind of funny.

This is in no way me being in favor of Cal being fired or UK hiring a new coach. Just stating facts.

• StillBP
      9:50 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Lebowski – Coach K isn’t coming here. Ol Roy isn’t coming here. Jay Wright…well maybe he could be persuaded if we tried but I think most of BBN would prefer Cal over him. Sure 2 titles are better than 1 but the other years Villanova just hasn’t been good so I’d take being in the hunt most years over what he is doing. While I know you weren’t saying we should replace Cal with them, the point most of us Cal defenders are trying to make is that the haters keep saying he isn’t good enough, but the only coaches who have done better aren’t coming to KY. Other than those three, who is better? BC at least 2 of those 3 would never come here and we don’t want fake classes Roy anyway.

• FullCourtPres
      4:29 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

First time poster of anything online and long time Cats fan/alum:
      There’s a different tone in his voice about coaching this team. I’ve carried an FM/AM radio everywhere I go on game days for many years so I listen to all the pre/post interviews.
      I believe after hearing Cal’s comments of coaching Reid Travis, he’s now definitely open to grad transfers (GTs). Cal now sees the obvious benefit on and off the court.
      I even believe he will integrate that approach/mentality when he’s talking to recruits.
      He sees the game experience they bring in the huddle. It’s like having another coach on the floor but they’re in the battle taking fire.
      With RT’s positive comments all year long and vast exposure he enjoyed here, I believe other top GTs will gravitate to UK. RT came here with huge street cred and our players gelled with him immediately. And that’s exactly the “team first mentality” Cal can now recruit.
      RT made some of these guys better just by being on the floor with them simply because of their physical maturity, finishing at the rim, defense, etc
      Imagine how many games we’d lost this year w/o Reid even before his injury…4, 5, 6,?
      I think we see minimum of 1-2 GTs a year now.
      Based on what I’ve read nationally, there are a lot of “near NBA” GTs like RT out there. This season opened a door to them that was previously closed and this is the best place to get to the NBA.
      And now that the SEC is CLEARLY one of the best leagues, it will only be more important.
      I’m thrilled with Cal’s extension.
      No one has yet to name ONE coach that could impact UK’s legacy the way our coach/previous coaches have (well not Billy G obviously).
      Only comment I would like to make to the l’mma throw a rock, then run home to mommy UK/Cal haters is this…
      The FBI probe will expose more, much more, than you currently know. We know exactly who Cal is and how he operates. We know exactly who’s he connected with. We know how much he’s done for our community and our students AND student athletes. I wouldn’t trade any of that for all the whiskey in Ireland.
      Only comment on Sunday’s loss…
      Cal can’t step out on the floor to make FT’s in the game for them. We shot FTs well all year and Sun we didn’t. That’s the ONLY reason we lost and I absolutely believe he brings us #9.

2. wb6690
    6:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

?

3. jond21
    6:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

4. Connor070603
    6:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Wow if this is true then that’s awesome

5. BBaxterUK
    6:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Congrats,now take us to a final 4

6. rickpitinoisavampire
    6:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Snell yeah!

7. jeri
    6:03 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

That is AWESOME

8. rickat
    6:03 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Thank you Coach and UK.

9. kykats
    6:03 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

GREAT!! Richly deserved! Best coach we ever had IMO.

10. Micah Johnson
    6:03 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Thank you Jesus! And bless all the pygmies in New Guinea

11. wb6690
    6:04 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

April fools!!!

12. Micah Johnson
    6:04 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Hands down best coach in the country. And I say that with confidence.

13. Papaw
    6:06 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

This combined with coach Ks meltdown of “the best recruiting class of all time” has to help with Cals recruiting now. Soon as Penny exhibits his lack of coaching ability all will be well

• mashburnfan1
      10:16 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Is that the same Coach K that beat us by 34. I know you will say it was 1st game of season, guess what it was their first game as well and for most of them their first ever college game. You see we had the experience in SR Travis and SO Washington. Duke was actually the younger team but that guy that can’t coach only won by 34. If K is so bad and beat Cal by 34 then how bad is Cal?

• abobicesaevior
      10:22 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

The game was meaningless except that UK improved and dUKe regressed. You’re welcome.

• You had [email protected]
      10:25 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

And yet no Elite8 for your Super Friends from Durham. Obviously Cats got better as the season progressed, Duke – meh. And you call yourself a Mashburnfan, got a Greek league jersey yet? Buy one

• catsarerunnin
      7:27 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Become a Puke fan mashburn/Slater. Ends your misery and ours. Case closed dbag.

• Bruce Dickinson
      10:38 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

You are right that coach k’s team did beat us by 34. So who developed their players better by the end of the year? If I were a McDonald’s all American that would be something to think about.

• 4everUKblue
      8:28 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

So glad you showed up mashbumfanboy, here’s an article about your beloved coach K in case you missed it, stay away from sharp objects when reading….on the other hand read it near a cliff. https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/4/1/18290521/duke-coach-k-one-and-done-failure

9:48 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Mash, we held UCLA to what, 7 points in the first half and Kansas to 40 in a 32 point route in 2014. That doesn’t reflect on Bill Self’s coaching ability. I remember at the time he talked about how good Kentucky was but he said other teams will get better and they’re going to have to as well. He won the Big 12 again that year. BUT he also couldn’t make it out of the sweet 16. By ur reasoning, Cal is a much better coach than Bill Self bc he both won by 32 AND went further in the tourney. But I’d like to flip that logic around for u w regard to Coach K… if K started 33 points better and finished the same day, same way (missing FT to lose to a lower seeded team), and K clearly had the better talent (since game 1 is much more like an all star game reflecting talent not coaching, they only have a few practices behind them) doesn’t that actually make the opposite point?? Cal did more (at least the same) with less bc of coaching not talent?

14. ClutchCargo
    6:06 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Has anyone checked on mashburnfan? Is he okay? It has been a rough couple of days with Count K going down, and now this.

• StillBP
      6:18 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha can’t stop laughing

• grammarpoliceUK
      6:41 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Now all the trolls only have nitptcking to keep them happy!

• catsarerunnin
      7:30 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Bashburn is Slater. And if he isn’t it means he’s a whining moronic imbecile just like Slater. Either way it’s been a difficult couple of days for him/them which is awesome.

• ClutchCargo
      8:37 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Sadly, trashburn is not Slater. He is actually a UK fan who can’t let go of his hatred of Cal, and makes a lot of bad arguments to try to support his agenda.

9:52 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I agree w Clutch… writing is different and Mash actually knows something about basketball, but yea, he fits the facts into his working thesis about Cal’s ability no matter how hard he has to shoehorn them in sometimes. But I enjoy his posts bc he is actually serious and not a troll even if u disagree w him.

15. nocode96
    6:07 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Awesome. Suck it mashburnfan and bigolblue, and all your alter egos too. Guess you’ll just have to find a new team to be a “fan” of now. Why not go troll dUKe message boards? You guys have said all year K is a better coach, has better players, etc. yet…he couldn’t even take that team of MONstars to the FF? Please, we all know who the bigger bust is and it’s not even close. Have fun watching Cal coach Kentucky for what I assume will be the rest of your lives. I’m assuming it’s a good bet you’ll both die of either heart attacks, stroke, or severely prolapsed anus’.

• weneedpitino
      6:25 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Congrats to coach Cal. You know when I announced many years back that I was about to hang up my whistle coaching the church rec league team I faced similar circumstances as Cal has. They begged and begged me to stay they even went as far as to offer me a lifetime of free meals at the local country cookin kitchen buffet. Well I declined and I’m sure all my organs thanked me for that. Lord country cookin every day of your life will take you out soon. Go cats, and go to local country cookin eateries!!

• BigolBlue
      7:21 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

HEY NOCODE.. CAL IS AN UNDERACHIEVER!!!!!!!

• bluecat15
      8:24 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Bigolblue the village idiot

• 4everUKblue
      8:49 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

God I love that BigolSlaterMedic is totally miserable! Hahahaha When he starts typing in all caps like his moronic butt hole buddy KYCat and getting personal and talking about sucking parts of the male anatomy you know he’s close to suicide. Go on Slater JUMP! Better yet live in misery the rest of your sad and pathetic life for my amusement.

• 4everUKblue
      8:56 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah where are you mashbumfanboy? Tell some more stories about what a great coach K is.

10:01 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Slater/Weenie/BoB is changing wigs so fast he forgiot to take the caps lock off again…

16. jsuge20
    6:10 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Welcome home

17. 57nukeduke
    6:10 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Ohhhh yeahhh!!!

18. Dallas
    6:12 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Love this. I would trade my coach for anyone.

• Dallas
      6:13 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I wouldn’t ****** hahahaha damn autocorrect

• Cokely53
      6:15 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Wouldn’t*

• Dallas
      7:13 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Exactly hahahahaha love our Coach

19. VirginiaCat
    6:12 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Lets all meet and burn a couch.

20. JTHinton
    6:16 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

21. JWB
    6:17 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Yes!!!Thanks UK!!! I’m sick of the rhetoric that Cal can’t coach. I Wouldn’t want anyone else here

22. JDizzle14
    6:22 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

So that means he only has 10 more yrs. Remember, the university’s mandatory retirement age is 70.

• BBNDan7
      10:17 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I think we’d all be okay with 10 more years

23. Ozman
    6:24 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I love it. Most underrated “elite” coach. Bonus as far as I can see is that the administration must be 100% confident nothing there on horizon as far as current scandal related to college MBB. Duke can suck it.

24. VirginiaCat
    6:25 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I heard an unsubstantiated report that upon his retirement, Cal has agreed to bequeath his entire collection of unused time outs to the incoming coach. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the report, but will provide a link should it become available.

• runningunnin.454
      6:38 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Do you need an anesthetic? How about some phencyclidine?

• KYCat4EVER
      7:05 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

LOL… Well Said VirginiaCat…

Or perhaps Calipari is just PRETENDING he got a lifetime contract!

Looks like BBN are the April Fools today!

We all just lost!

• 4everUKblue
      8:51 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

KYCat you may want to dig up Rupp so you can boast about being the last person to shake his hand. You are a real gem little buddy.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:53 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

RG just launched that medical knowledge grenade WAY over someone’s head.

Appears that he may already be suffering from post-anesthesia delirium and dementia.

10:06 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

lol I actually thought the unused TO collection was kind of funny. I’m getting too much enjoyment from watching the haters run around in circles howling like my dog does when the mail arrives (every day, buddy, every day).

25. hohnjii
    6:34 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Man, this just gets me excited. Anyone who remembers the Billie G days can be thankful we have the real deal here at the UofK now.

26. I miss Kyle Macy
    6:40 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

This is awesome. Sure, I am furious about a 4th straight disappointing ending and Cal deserves some criticism at times. The ridiculous haters often overshadow the legit reasonable ways Cal could maybe do better. But let’s face it, there is NO better coach out there to run this program. Full stop.

27. NextMattJonesNoCap
    6:45 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Andy Howard eats pants

28. Glock
    6:51 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

If he could get Orlando Antigua back i really think we could get those top 5 players again. Where is Antigua and is this a possibility? Anyone know?

29. catsarerunnin
    6:51 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Outstanding! Go Cats!

30. TheAssman
    6:52 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Awesome news and great move by Barnhardt!!!!!

31. VirginiaCat
    6:59 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Just keep in mind fella, before offering baskets of flowers to Barnhardt, he is the same guy who hired Billy Clyde Gillespie.

• StillBP
      9:42 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

He is the same guy who has hired all our current coaches and who has us sitting nicely in the Capital One Cup standings.

• ClutchCargo
      8:41 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I’m not a big fan of Barnhart, but that was a stupid argument the first time you tried to make it, VirginiaCat.

32. ryan1723
    7:03 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

So I wanna lead this with I am a Duke basketball fan that loves this website and loves Kentucky football and baseball. Now that’s out of the way…
    In my humblest of opinions, coach cal and coach K are pretty much the same coach at this point. They’re sharing the top 10 recruits and hoping talent wins out. The reality is it’s only happened twice, three times if you count Carmelo.
    And I absolutely blame coach k for the loss yesterday. What’s the point of having anyone on the bench if your starters have to play 35-40 minutes a game until they’re exhausted? He blew it.
    For Cal, yeah I don’t think he’s a great in game coach, but that’s what Robic is for, he’s a phenomenal X’s and O’s guy. But he’s an amazing CEO and brand ambassador. The only thing I don’t like about him is every offseason flirting with some other program or team that he’s never going to coach in order to get a raise. That’s not cool but that’s capitalism. Other than that don’t say we need Nick Richards or we can’t win and only let him play 25 seconds, but say that Ashton Hagans needs the right to play through it, accountability across the board. Unfortunately neither of our teams have that. Superstars get treated different, we all know that.

33. jamesrae
    7:04 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Yes I am disappointed in some of the way our seasons have ended. But we are so much better overall with John Calipari. He is not just a great coach, he is also a great human being and wonderful ambassador for our program. Any of you that can’t see this need to go root for a team that’s only in the championship convention every 10 years. This is awesome news for our programs future.

34. CoachCat
    7:06 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

He’s also the same guy that locked Cal for life. For those wanting another coach you a SOL.

35. snoopjdawg
    7:19 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

305 wins at Kentucky in 10 years. 30.5 wins per season. The Houston win was career #750.

I wouldn’t trade him for anyone else.

36. BigolBlue
    7:19 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Terrible decision!!!! Guess everyone is so happy. We ARENT WINNING TITLE AND WONT AGAIN WITH CAL HE CANT COACH!!!

• KatFan48
      8:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Liloochicken I just cannot see how the news could have been worse for you. THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING. Let me try to offer you some consolation. I suggest the same thing for you as Virginiacat. Wish for another team to troll. As I told him YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS.

• henderblue
      8:08 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Ridiculous bull crap right there ^^^

• bluecat15
      8:42 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Bigolblue the village idiot

• 4everUKblue
      8:52 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Hahaha Slater, SUFFER!

• CATandMONKEY
      1:54 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Stop with this “We” shit

37. Matty Arbuckle
    7:20 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I love Coach Cal, so this is great news This may help with recruits who are on the fence as to whether or not Cal will be here next year or the year after that.

• snoopjdawg
      7:21 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Agree

• BigolBlue
      7:23 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

What???? So this is why hes missed on recruits? I swear some people here are in lala land with Cal

• bluecat15
      8:33 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Bigolblue the village idiot

38. snoopjdawg
    7:26 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I know you are casting bait, but you are smarter than that. You are good at firing people up on this board but at least try to make sense.

39. BigJohnC
    7:39 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Stats don’t lie cal has outperformed Roy and K and bill self. ….number one in FF, elite eight, tourney wins and total wins….

40. BigJohnC
    7:40 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

With less talent the last two years!!!

41. KYCat4EVER
    7:46 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

LOL!

Mitch Barnhart just sealed our programs fate and hung our demise around his own neck!

Remember this day BBN… it’s the day Barnhart made fools out of all of us…

We will never win another NCAA Championship in basketball as long as Calipari is our head coach… NEVER!

We all lose… but Coach Process who he s paid a heap of cash to keep our program in the ash!

Mitch Barnhart was a proved idiot in 2007 when he hired Billy Clyde… as only reconfirmed it today!

• TheAssman
      8:03 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Don’t you have a ledge to be on somewhere.

• KatFan48
      8:06 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

How short is your memory. Barnhart also FIRED Billy. Hope you can confirm your identity as BigolBlue aka lilolchicken. You sing the same song THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING

• 4everUKblue
      8:54 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

KYCat is just as miserable as BigolSlaterMedic, I love watching those to live in misery. Just doesn’t get any better.

• abobicesaevior
      10:34 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Now, who’s your replacement for Cal that would do better?

• CATandMONKEY
      2:04 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

No one should ever suggest that another human doesn’t deserve to breathe – except perhaps in KYCAT4EVER’s case.

42. AllBall
    8:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

VirginiaCat your post was spot on. For all the great things Cal has done while at UK, I can’t fathom the # of unused timeouts in his career. It’s fine to empower the team during regular season and conference play but don’t take em home in close NCAA tournament games.

If you truly accept responsibility for being outcoached then at least give yourself a chance when it matters most. If you make adjustments or draw up a play that doesn’t work most fans can accept it. However, the opposite is unacceptable in a position where you are paid close to 10 mil a season.

• real True Blue Cat
      4:03 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

Did you happen to see Tyler hit a game winning three before the defense could get setup after the PJ block the other day?

We win more games than anyone in the country and people think they are a better coach than Cal.

43. catfanincentralfl
    8:16 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

This is my first post here. Life long Cat fan. I am not sure which is worse, the trolls who make the ridiculous comments about Cal underachieving or those who give them the attention that they obviously didn’t get from mommy and daddy or wifey or whoever. All we can expect is to compete for a championship each year. We are doing that. Most of the time in sports it’s just not meant to be. If you base success solely on championships be prepared to be a miserable fan. Midnight Madness can’t get here soon enough. Go Cats!

44. sickofit1996
    8:34 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Great another ten years of one and done disappointment with first rounders

45. RickysVD
    9:17 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Bruce pearl our next coach

46. AmazzzingLarry
    9:30 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I said this before and it bears repeating. Who did Sporting News select for their team of the decade? NOT Duke. NOT UNC. NOT Villanova. NOT Kansas. They selected UK. Team if the Mother [email protected]$#ing decade. And some of you want to fire him. Shameful

• mashman 93
      9:41 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Hell yes preach it my friend!

47. tbolin50
    9:36 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Crazy people, so who do u haters think is a good coach then

• speaksthetruth
      11:11 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m telling you… they won’t give an answer until they see who wins it all and they will think that coach should be the replacement. Dumb logic. They have no idea who would be better because there is no one, so they have to make up something and who ever wins the tournament must be the best coach.

• real True Blue Cat
      4:05 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

The four coaches left have a combined one NC and that was 19 years ago. Maybe we should emulate them!

48. mashman 93
    9:40 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Great coach and an even better man.

49. tbolin50
    9:40 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Bruce Pearl hasn’t done anything yet. Just won one game that’s all , if it wasn’t so random we would have won because we did win the series

50. tbolin50
    9:42 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Can’t talk to idiots!

51. Kyceltsfan
    9:44 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Way to go coach, good luck!

52. tbolin50
    9:46 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Hell yeah!!!!

53. tbolin50
    9:47 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Should have gotten him when slick Rick left

54. john dickshot
    10:56 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

The only thing that matters are championships. There’s nothing great about 4th place or 8th place. We could double Brad Stevens’ salary. He is a basketball mastermind. Jay Wright won two championships at Villanova. Both of these guys could be better options. I don’t care what method a coach uses as long as they get the job done. Since 1990 Coach K averages a title every 5.8 years. All you color blind idiots tell me exactly when Cal is bringing us another title. Get lost!

• CATandMONKEY
      2:15 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

How did Jay do the rest of the time? If ‘ships are all that matter then there is no reason to even follow 97% of ALL teams in EVERY sport.

• 4everUKblue

14–15: Second Round Upset
      15–16: National Champions
      16–17: Second Round Upset
      17–18: Second National Championship

• 4everUKblue
      9:04 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

And that doesn’t count his early exit this season.

55. john dickshot
    11:01 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

And let me tell you idiots another thing. I like calling you all idiots because that is the term you refer to anyone with a dissenting opinion. Have you idiots thought about what Cal is going to do in 2022 when the NBA ends the one and done?

• 4everUKblue
      9:05 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Hey dickshot idiot, whatever Cal does in 2022 Count K will copy it. What a epic [email protected] you are.

• real True Blue Cat
      4:08 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

Yeah I have. He will get the best players and coach them for several years and they will continue to improve like all his players do and we will continue to dominate. Idiot.

56. sickofit1996
    11:30 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

This means brad won’t go pro this year……..#sniper

57. Game Changer
    11:42 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Hands down the best coach in college basketball
    Hear me out…
    The best is never based on how far you go in a single elimination tournament… just look at Duke (should have and could have gone out in the round of 32 to UCF).

Why is Calipari the best: Two reasons. First, he is hands down the best at player development as indicated by how much his players improve through out the year (the only exception in his past 10 years is Skas Labessier) otherwise everyone gets better…. this is also apparent by how NBA ready his players are compared to the likes of the ones that go to Duke. The second reason is obvious… he is a great recruiter.

I have been a Kentucky fan for almost 4 decades and I always thought that Pitino was a better overall coach compared to Calipari, until this year. What he did with this group of average players, with a few stars but no superstars, is simply amazing.

58. friendsofcoal
    11:47 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I think you should change your screen name to 34! Haha!!! You’re such a dumbass. Shashefski is a great coach but horrible at developing young talent unless they hang around for 3-4 years.

• friendsofcoal
      12:32 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

This post was a reply to Mash way up the list when he just typed a bunch of 34’s

59. makebasketballplays
    12:00 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I believe we will never win another title under coach cal again unfortunately

60. katmandue2you
    12:48 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I have no problem with this contract offer. However, let’s get one thing straight. Kentucky was unequivocally the greatest tradition and best college b-ball program before Cal got here and it will be afterwards. It’s not inconceivable that the next guy could possibly be better than Cal. Maybe not likely but not inconceivable. One thing is certain. If they are not comparable in success to Cal they’re tenure will be short and someone that can match his success will be gotten. It’s Camelot folks. It’s the Roman Empire. It’s the number one job in all of basketball and Cal tells us this very thing all the time. I’m fine with Cal. But he isn’t the be all and end all of Kentucky Basketball. Far from it.

61. beckham14
    2:11 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The reason Cal has so-called “missed” on a lot of the top tier recruits the last several years is that it’s gotten really ugly on the recruiting scene. If you haven’t been paying attention to what’s been going on with the FBI scandal (you’ve either got your head stuck in the sand or you’re an idiot), you’d have noticed a lot of the big name recruits are tied to a lot of these testimonies in the court hearings. And you can bet many, many more will trickle out as this all continues to ramp up. Once Cal came in and was getting all of the top 10 recruits at UK, all of the other Big named coaches got butt hurt and started to play the money game. Well, I feel pretty confident our coach here at UK isn’t using any Bag Men. Hence why you’re seeing a lot of these players disperse elsewhere. And yes even some of the DUKE recruits are being name dropped in the testimonies of this FBI scandal. How many times over the last few years have we been in on a recruit only to see them pick a different school right at the end? And then fast forward to now and see many of those names being dropped in this FBI scandal. There’s a reason we aren’t getting a lot of these players……..we aren’t dropping cash on them!! Thank god for that! I’m ecstatic that we are competing at the highest level and we don’t have to stoop to the level of cheating to do it. Kudos to barnhardt and cal. I love my UK family!

• Soylentbeans
      6:30 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Well it’s mostly because more coaches are buying into one and done. Less recruits to go around.

10:11 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

We lost a couple who were subjects of the wiretaps or joined programs that were. U can’t convince me Zion had a cash offer from one school but chose to go to Duke for free bc he likes the food hall at the Brodhead Center, just as an example. Naz Reid would’ve been nice on this year’s team… I could go on.

62. tbolin50
    4:13 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Lol. We aren’t arguing the success of coach K, because he has better numbers than everyone ever. But Calipari has great numbers here and won’t get anyone better . And if champions is what ur gauged by how many does Brad Stevens have. Oh I think a big zero Lol so dumb

• john dickshot
      8:39 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Brad Stevens is a young man who has already had more success in the NBA then Cal. And had amazing success with a no name school in college. It only takes an ounce of foresight to see he could win more championships than one at a powerhouse school

• Iamheasyouarehe
      9:46 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Brad Stevens has won nothing and even if he had, he’s not coming to Kentucky. Not saying he’s not a good coach but tell me what he’s won. dicklessshot.

63. CahillsCrossingNT
    5:17 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Either way, he’s much closer to the end of his tenure than the beginning. He cannot win another championship anyway since he no longer can get elite players.

• Soylentbeans
      6:27 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

He is actually right in the middle of his tenure. Like literally.

10:13 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Slaps forehead. Math.

10:15 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Some posts leave me speechless… this I’m telling everyone about bc it’s iconic of the jackassery that passes for social media commentary. “Much closer.” Or half. Please god tell me u aren’t a carpenter, pilot or surgeon!!

64. Soylentbeans
    6:06 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

In the 80 years march madness has been a thing Only 1 coach has won more than 1 title at uk. Only 15 schools have won more than 1 title and only 14 coaches have won more than 1 title. It’s called perspective have some.

65. Headhurts
    6:12 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Let’s see joe hall 1 title loved, Rick pitino 1 title used to be loved, tubby 1 title loved, Calipari 1 title, loved by most, so when break down the numbers besides Rupp why r expectations so high? In last 45 years Cal has as many titles as the other KY coaches, the difference is SOCIAL MEDIA, what a joke!

• Soylentbeans
      6:31 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Exactly

• The Big Lebowski
      7:25 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Joe B. Hall was given pure hell in his day.

PURE DEEEEE HELLLL!!!!

He is beloved now because of the years removed from the action.

Don’t act like you don’t understand this.

You may be too young to remember the treatment Joe B. Hall received from some fans and the media.

Hell, Bobby Knight gave him hell, too.

Tubby was not loved as the Coach at UK. There was constant criticism of him. I know. I was one of them. Many of us knew that Tubby could not recruit and, therefore, would never have a team that was complete enough to make the Final Four. His one title came with a team that someone else put together.

Cal is good. He’s a good enough coach. He’s a great recruiter. He simply needs to adapt to the new reality. He is not a good enough coach to win without overwhelming talent. It’s just what it is. He gets ultraconservative near the end of games as if he is scared to lose a lead or scared that he’s going to lose. He simply needs to adapt. He has adapted before. He can do it again.

There will never be a coach at any school who is universally loved.

Wooden wasn’t.

Coach K isn’t.

Tubby wasn’t.

Coach Izzo isn’t.

Cal will not be either. No amount of whining about the criticism directed towards Cal will make him universally loved. Maybe if he pooped rainbows and had a herd of Unicorns. Short of that…ain’t gonna happen.

9:05 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Lebowski ur name is hilarious and ur point well taken. Poor Joe B followed Rupp and was never good enough, we wanted who? Lee Rose – remember? Some wanted CM. They said the same thing “can’t win without Rober and Phillips and Greevey and Givens… can’t even win w Bowie and Mel and Dirk!” Sheer, unadulterated hell that poor man took. Tubby wore out his welcome early when the trend line went from good to worse and 20 wins became the norm. Nice man, bad fit. Only Pitino was mostly unscathed bc the Renaissance was so fast and so complete and he left when still on top… but I remember people saying he couldn’t win w that full court press bc he gave up too many easy buckets… until he did. Only dissent I’d file to ur post is I do think Cal is a top 5 coach not just recruiter, and would cite this year’s team as an example: let’s be honest, this team was not loaded, and got better through the year until at one point they were THE best. Then Reid got hurt, and then PJ and they never quite got the mojo back but one more FT and they’d have been in the FF w a team w no lottery picks, and no future all stars, just a bunch of good ball players. This may be a future blueprint: get the 10 – 30 guys and hang onto a couple upper classmen or work the transfer portal for kids who are good and want to raise their draft stock to make a good, not great, professional career.

10:23 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

That’s “Robey” obviously.

66. The Big Lebowski
    7:18 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Congratulations to Coach Cal.

I hope he can adapt over the coming years to bring home another National Championship.

67. 4everUKblue
    8:34 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Yee Haw! Cal forever! This is the best news ever for many reasons, but one I really take pleasure in is the misery is causes BigolSlatermedic, aka mashbumfanboy, KYCat4ever and all the other haters out there. You can all become blue devils and no one would care….except dUKe fans. Hahahaha

8:39 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Duke would not allow them on their website, they check for grammar.

68. makeitstop
    8:50 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

This is the best news of the season. More than a great recruit or one year’s tourney run, this ensures continuity and stability. Most of the “cal can’t coach” crowd are not actually UK fans, they’re trolls, as we know. The other half genuinely know nothing about basketball. There are plenty of others who do know something about basketball who are constructive critics, who take issue with a decision or a play (or lack thereof) but who are clearly cat fans. To the trolls, I say “this is ur worst nightmare bc ur teams’ coach can’t recruit against us by saying ‘heard he was going to the Lakers (or wherever)’ each year.” No one has a better record of placing recruits in high paying jobs w skills to cope w the profession and life afterwards, than this man. He is the last guy u want to recruit against, and he’s clean. To the misguided few in BBN who long for another ciach I say “not happening. Now u are in the canoe or not but complaining now is like bitching about the weather. Futile. U don’t like it, find a climate that suits u.” To the rest of the fans, occasional critics and cheerleaders alike I say “cheers! Great news and let’s get together in Catlanta next year for#9!”

• Glenn Fohr
      9:33 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Not sure if we should have signed him to such a long contract. How much of it is guaranteed? Are there stipulations? Can we “opt out”? I like Cal but don’t think for the rest of his career is needed here.

10:35 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

U would usually hv a “moral turpitude” clause for good cause terms, which Will Wade will likely be facing, or remember Slick Rick at U-6. But otherwise, he has a huge buyout and he’s here to stay, based on reporting. That’s the way it should be. U want continuity? U hv it. There’s nothing in his past performance to suggest any period of time he has not performed at a high level. He even had a winning record his second year for the dismal Nets, who floundered w any coach until Lew Katz finally sold to the Yankees 2-3 years after Cal left and George threw money at free agents. Not Cal’s fault. So no worries about performance dipping, there’s a 30 year record of high performance.

69. Ol Jim
    9:49 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

This is the absolute best thing that could have happened to the UK Basketball Program! Cal is the BEST fit for Kentucky and has coached us to the best run in our schools history since the Rupp days. Anyone else remember the Billy Clyde Gillespie days? Thank God Cal came in to save the day. Tubby Smith was a very good college coach and he did pretty well here but was about 3 tiers below where Cal has us right now. Go CATS!

• [email protected]
      10:15 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Biggest BigBlueFan that exists… Tired of the one and done and Calipari’s philosphy at UK. As long as this rule exists, which will not be much longer, Calipari will have success recruiting top talent to UK. He is a mastermind elite recruiter. When the one and done goes away and Calipari is forced to “COACH” the game and kids, he will fail miserably and you will see him step aside to save his and UK’s embarrassment. Calipari’s teams are winning on shear individual talent alone…. it’s hard to argue that a group of mcdonald all americans are not going to have success, coaching aside, each time they step on the court. People keep asking, “if Calipari left, then who would you replace him with at UK”? What these ignorant people who are asking are not taking into consideration is that it would be very difficult to replace Calipari from a recruiting standpoint. Impossible! But when asked what “COACH” would you replace Calipari with at UK……. well then that brings numerous names to the table. Sure it would be a whole different philosphy. It would then become more about recruiting and retaining talent to develop a team and ultimately play for what is written across the front of these kids jerseys…. “KENTUCKY”. People often ask what defines success at UK. Knee jerk reactions are often…. CHAMPIONSHIPS!. I think it is clear to see what Calipari fans have to look forward to next year…. Sweet sixteen/elite 8. Yes that is success…. but you are doing it with FRESHMAN and not leadership. I think it would be fair to ask Bruce Pearl or Beard at Texas Tech, what defines success. Just saying. As for coaches who would have success at UK….. Ray Harper comes to mind right off the top. Steve Prohm is another…. list could go on and on

• beckham14
      10:38 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Hey…….guess what…….recruiting is coaching!!!! You call some of these people ignorant……just saying. And trust me, regardless if it’s one and done or not, Cal is gonna get the best players available. So you’re point is moot either way.

• 4everUKblue
      10:32 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I only read the first line and that was enough. You sound too much like KYCat4ever and with the caps lock. Deal with it, Cal’s here until he decides he’s not.

10:45 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Let’s talk coaching, [email protected], we lost to Duke by a million points in the first game. First games are mostly just talent shows, right? The guys hv a couple weeks or practice and a scrimmage or two behind them. 35 games later, w 4 months of “coaching” they exit the tournament in the same manner, missed FT. Coach K, the winningest active coach in games and (caps lock) “CHAMPIONSHIPS” had 4 months of “coaching” the best class ever assembled (by hook or crook). Cal had 4 months coaching what we all concede is a good group of kids but no nba all stars. Some guys who will make it but no stars. Also young. Query: in ur estimation, who got more out of the talent they had, just this year, Cal or the Gargoyle?

10:55 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Follow up question: if u get more with less talent, or the same with less talent, and the same experience levels, aren’t u actually “coaching” better? And if it’s measured in terms of tourney success, are 4 championship games v 2 in 11 years indicia of coaching superiority? What about 5 FF v 2 in 11 years? Or 8 v 5 EE’s? Or is only the extra “SHIP” he won when the roofer cleared his path in ‘15. If we hv a different referee and win that game in ‘15, would u concede Cal was better based on that 11 year record v the winningest coach of all time?

70. 4everUKblue
    10:31 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

• [email protected]
      11:16 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Hey makeitstop…. as for the ’15 Final Four…. I was there supporting Big Blue…. Saw first hand the “meltdown” Calipari endured during the final 3 minutes of the game. Complete meltdown!! Three shot clock violations…. back to back to back! Are you freaking kidding me? Completely unaware and lost in the moment to utilize his damn timeouts! As for the refs…… I think they did a decent job overall. Calls could have went both ways on each side of the ball. Nature of the beast! As for the coach K reference.. I, nor anyone else can say Calipari got “more” from his squad than coach K this year. Because it is clear that some of the recruits were not and are not NBA caliber either. Sure Zion Willamson is… but he is a freak of nature. And it just goes to show you that it is extremly difficult to win championships with freshman. Very difficult! I would take a veteran squad over a group of freshmans anyday come tourny time. But your never going have that at UK as long as he is at the helm…… sad!

12:46 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

[email protected], ur kidding about Duke’s lack of talent “clear that… some of the recruits were not or are not NBA talent?” U realize 3 of ur boys are listed as lottery picks, right? Maybe 1 and 2 depending on which NBA teams get which picks… that’s a pretty big talent disparity! U must be really upset w those guys for losing, but I assure u they are NBA caliber talent. Don’t take my word for it ask the scouts and GMs. Our team meanwhile has no lottery picks, though PJ may be the best in the low teens or he may fall. Keldon is ur Barrett, I guess, and maybe Herro is ur Reddish but he’s no first round lock. If the talent is the same and veteran leadership is important would u mind if we trade Nick for Matthew Hurt if y’all get him? That should be a no brained.

12:48 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

“No brainer” not no brained, it was a noun, not an adjective. Honest.

71. speaksthetruth
    11:28 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Even without the one and done rule and the elite go to the NBA cal will get the best ones left and develop them into great players. There will still be really food players to recruit.

• [email protected]
      11:45 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I cannot wait till the one and done is abolished. This whole philosphy is doing nothing more than watering and dumbing down the college entrance requirements and standards just to get these kids enrolled. Should not be what it is about. Should not use an University as a “slide in” to the NBA. Calipari is the best at this crap. He is all about getting these kids to the next level….. granted thats where they want to be and some thrive….. but a lot don’t make it. Sad! Calipari is constantly boasting and bragging about a select few in the NBA and the money these guys are making. It is a great recruiting tool no doubt. Just like to see it get back to being about the school and about the kids education and teaching the X’s and O’s of the game. Also what most people refuse to discuss and/or talk about is the eventual successor of Calipari. The day will come thats for sure! But he is creating a nightmare for the mens college basketball coaching position and quite frankly many many coaches will turn a deaf ear when they come calling.

12:53 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

Lol ok, now we are back to conflating Cal w the one and done rule he has criticized. [email protected], are u one of those that hates the electoral college, too, bc it produces the “wrong” results, so it’s the rule’s fault? But anyway, ur point about people using college to “slide” into a job in the profession of their choosing is a brain teaser I’m going to think about. I feel bad bc I used college to slide into law school. Now I feel guilty.

• [email protected]
      1:45 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

I suspect you slide into law school in one year to uh??? What was your college entrance requirements/standards? Were they altered and/or fabricated? Obviously you rank up there with a lot of other wanna be lawyers. Thats how damn smart you are. Your analogy makes zero sense. Im not surprised as you fit the mold of most. Don’t be fooled by Calipari’s “criticism” of the one and done. He has a “golden tongue” that a lot of folk buy into. He will be forced one day soon to change. Bigtime! I cant help but go back to your comment. Im laughing so hard at your ludicrous bullsh!t. Are you trying to brag about your college education? You should be proud of your education and never equate your experience to the one and done rule of college basketball. Kinda goes back to apples and oranges.. Cmon you can do better than that

• FullCourtPres
      4:40 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

First time poster of anything online and long time Cats fan/alum:
      I think we see minimum of 1-2 GTs a year now.
      I’m thrilled with Cal’s extension.
      Only comment on Sunday’s loss…

5:07 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

[email protected], I would be happy to respond if I knew what the hell u were saying. If I understand u, ur saying one and done is dumbing down college entrance standards?? So, ur opposition isn’t about the quality of a heavily freshman team but the academic integrity of the school? That’s a different theorem. Duke and Vandy (where I “slid into” law school) have improved academics and scores since the NBA rule change and I suspect most others have, too. U realize there are very few scholar athletes who leave after a year, right? They’d REALLY have to have bad scores to affect the standards of the school, and last time I checked, guys like Brandon Knight (one and done) had a 4.0 and our team GPA is higher than the rest of the school. So, if that’s really ur concern, it must be a huge relief, u can relax. If ur really worried about the “kids education” (i assume u meant “the kids’ education) u should really applaud Cal’s insistence that they come back and finish the degree, even once they have left for a high paying career that I’m sure you would happily embark on were it offered, secure in the knowledge u could return on ur lifetime scholarship and pick up that missing English class.

• real True Blue Cat
      7:47 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

UK44me why don’t you just pick a new team if you don’t want to win as much? You will be a lot happier and we won’t miss you. Pick one of the 65 tournament teams that don’t recruit one and dones and didn’t win a championship.