On Thursday afternoon, the New York Knicks reportedly began “finalizing plans” to hire high-profile NBA agent Leon Rose and William Wesley – otherwise known as World Wide Wes – on as front office professionals, with the former expected to be named president of basketball operations and the latter coming in as a consultant.

Almost immediately, basketball fans connected the dots with John Calipari and his potential interest in joining the franchise, as the Kentucky head coach has been close friends with both Rose and Wesley for decades now.

With the Knicks needing a head coach, many thought it could be a potential match for Calipari to join the newest front office officials in New York.

When asked about his interest in the job opening on Friday afternoon, the Kentucky head coach first praised Rose for earning the position before ultimately shutting down rumors of his potential involvement.

“Let me say this, first of all, I haven’t talked to Leon. I don’t know if it’s done, if he’s doing it, I have no idea,” Calipari told the media this afternoon. “But let me tell you about him. I’ve known him for 25 years, dear friend. He was in a rough-and-tumble business [as an NBA agent]. Really, in that business, it was a sport too. Like, it was body-to-body contact. It is. I have never heard anyone, in 25 years, say a bad word about Leon Rose. Not one. In a rough-and-tumble sport that he’s in, he’s a gatherer, he’s a culture builder. I understand why they would do it if they do that.”

He’d be willing to help Rose however he can, but he won’t entertain the possibility of becoming the next head coach of the Knicks.

“Because I’m so close with him, I would help him in any way I could being a resource,” Calipari said of Rose. “You want to call me about college players, my own players, I’m here. It just wouldn’t be to coach.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

10 Comments for John Calipari says he would be a “resource” for Leon Rose and the Knicks, but it “wouldn’t be to coach.”

1. KYCat4EVER
    1:40 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

A RESOURCE?

REALLY?

Isn’t that all he’s been so far at Kentucky?

A resource for recruiting top high school seniors?

There certainly hasn’t been much coaching ( NCAA Championships) with those talented recruits!

I, for one, would buy him a bus ticket to New York if he would take the Knicks job.

But I’m sure Calipari remembers his brief tenure at New Jersey and already knows he would need another bus ticket once N.Y. terminates him after a loss on the road! ?

GO BIG BLUE!

• StillBP
      1:44 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think Cal needs your money for a bus ticket. How much would it take for you to go away from KSR comment sections? I’m sure a lot of us would chip in.

• 2andToodleLoo
      1:44 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Please don’t try and cover up your negative barf by adding Go Big Blue at the end. Just spew your venom and be done.

• nocode96
      4:20 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

You are sofa king we Todd Ed.

2. BBNfromOklahoma
    1:49 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

The negativity from some of y’all is draining. There’s always room for constructive criticism, but if all you’re doing is spewing hatred, negativity, or outlandish opinions, go root for another school. Louisville or Duke will have you.

• VirginiaCat
      4:19 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

I agree wholeheartedly that toxic negatively is draining, but have seen little evidence that well-intended, constructive criticism is tolerated. On the contrary, it is usually met by disparaging remarks of a juvenile nature, and calls for the offender to change his/her allegiance to another team. That kind of knee-jerk response is equally draining.

3. BigBlueFoo42777
    2:17 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

People forget we had to settle for billy g. We contacted several high profile coaches and they all said no. Cal may not have built uk basketball but he damn sure saved it. The people who complain about Cal being here are the same people who would be complaining if he was not. Go Cats

• Dark Soul
      3:41 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Preach it!!

• Bluehender
      4:26 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

That’s right BBF42777…good call..

4. MrFlip41129
    3:58 pm February 7, 2020 Permalink

Well said BigBlueFoo42777!! KYCat4EVER, like you could DO BETTER, and if going to be negative go find another team. And you’re probably an older/elderly man that misses the day we had 4 year guys that didn’t win anything but the SEC and made it no farther than that sweet 16. Cal saved Kentucky basketball, and fans like yourself is why it will probably drive him away, and we will be left with nothing AGAIN! In Cal I trust, and GO CATS!!!!!!!!