John Calipari says chances of leaving Kentucky are ‘nil’

John Calipari has discussed his 10-year, $86 million ‘lifetime contract’ a few times since it became official this summer, but hearing him talk about being at Kentucky for the rest of his career never really gets old, does it? At a preseason roundtable with reporters last week, Calipari said that after ten years in Lexington, he’s still so invigorated by the work he’s doing he can’t imagine leaving.

“I would think anybody that knows me – if you’re talking to me, chances of me leaving here are nil,” Calipari said. “I was in the Hall of Fame and one of the guys there came up to me and just said, ‘So, you’re not going to go to the NBA, are you?’ I said, ‘No, why?’ I’m at Kentucky. If I were at some place else, and I’m in the muck of this stuff, I’m in the middle of all the muck, I’d probably say, ‘Enough. I’m out.’”

We’ve heard him say it before, but Calipari reiterated that he loves his job because it gives him the ability to change lives, something that wouldn’t necessarily happen in the NBA.

“I still enjoy recruiting because I enjoy meeting people. I enjoy hearing their stories. I know we’re not going to get every kid. I just don’t want to be dragged around the country for a hat. Don’t want that. But everything else, I’m fine with. Second thing is, this stage. I have the ability to put people on this stage and to change the lives. I mean, I’m in those homes. I see how they were raised. I see how mothers were working three jobs. One mother didn’t have a car, walked two miles to the job and now all of a sudden, they can breathe? That is this stage.”

Calipari admitted that the grind of being Kentucky’s coach gets harder as he grows older, but as he ages, he also feels a growing responsibility to give back to the profession, even if that means listening to friends who call him for advice — like UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerro did in the spring.

“I listened because I should listen. Most of the people I’m talking to, I know. Most of the time I talk to people, it’s to help other people. So, I’m trying to help someone else get something. And you try to make things better for kids. If they ask me, ‘How would you do it here?’ I’ll tell them, ‘You’ve got to do this, this, and this,’ and everything I talk about is for kids. ‘What’s your setup? How do you do this? How do they live? How do you take care of them? What’s your’ – you know, all the stuff. ‘Do you use camps to help kids work, get a summer job, to do your camp instead of something else? How do you do this?’”

You can feel Calipari’s eyes roll when someone calls his deal a “lifetime contract,” but he used the term as an example of the faith Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart has in his employees.

“Mitch had a great line to everybody in the department – because, you know, we’re not firing people here. They leave for better positions or whatever – he said, ‘You all have a lifetime position here. Just do your job and do it well and you’ve got a lifetime job here. I’m not going to let anybody go.’ And it’s true, which is why the athletic department is doing things on the level they’re doing them on and why we just continue to do better for the kids, do better with the facilities.

“And I appreciate the fact that they want me to be here. And my thing was, I don’t want to coach until I’m 70 but I still want to be paid something, so that was – why are you laughing?”

31 Comments for John Calipari says chances of leaving Kentucky are ‘nil’

1. 4everUKblue
    12:02 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

mashbum, Righteous1 and KYCAPSLOCK4EVER are on a ledge somewhere feeling suicidal. I say go ahead and JUMP! Please JUMP!

• Bluehender
      8:38 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Lol 4ever…

• catsarerunnin
      9:27 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Bashburn is a wussy.

• mashburnfan1
      9:52 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Does not bother me 4ever. I already know a title will not be won so I am not disappointed at the end of the season. The new UK is play for June and if we get to F4 that makes the season a success. sad as we used to be known as expecting to go 40-0 in a 35 game season as Dickie V would say. I like alot of things Cal does for UK and the young men he brings here. I like the fact all seem to be great young men and he teaches them great life things, said this many times. Just don’t think he is a good game coach {this has been proven time after time} and I don’t like the new team every year BS. Can’t wait till the rule changes to see what happens. I am not hiding, was at game, had Bengals disaster today and long drive home.

• nocode96
      11:09 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Before Cal got here we were NEVER even hinted at as going 40-0 you dolt. You’re using Cal’s own success to argue against his success. That’s not how real logic works, but I’m sure in your pretzeled up nothin it is huh?

• catsarerunnin
      12:34 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

Bashburn has skid marks in his tightie whities.

• KYCat4EVER
      11:06 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

NIL?
      I would agree that’s also the same chance our CATS have of winning another National Championship with Coach PROCESS as our coach…

GO BIG BLUE!

P.S. Hey Righteous1? CONGRATULATIONS!

Looks like we both have established ourselves in the small minds of the small minded (and small elsewhere) as legendary and bothersome!

?

Kind of like the Valedictorian is bothersome to others who can’t hit that intelligence and knowledge level! ?

• 4everUKblue
      11:28 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Come KYCAPSLOCK and mashbum end your miserable lives, I’m sure your family members would be grateful. BTW mashbum, I don’t read your irrelevant comments our yours CAPSLOCK.

• Skooms
      2:43 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

I’ll be waiting for either of the Debbie Downers to respond Nocode. Highly doubt they will because you just spewed facts. How dare you!? Lol

• KYCat4EVER
      8:02 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

LOL… This is hilarious!
      Mashburnfan1, Righteous1, we have the “it’s a small world after all” clan calling out our names in their sleep! ?

These are some pitifully lonely people: I bet all of this small group just hangs out on KSR waiting for one of US to post an opinion! LOL

Ahhh… the life of three celebrities!

GO BIG BLUE!

2. JPhelps
    12:21 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m glad football season ended last night so we can talk more basketball…

• 4everUKblue
      12:32 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Funny I don’t recall seeing you making these types of comments last season, bandwagon boy.

• CatsandPats
      12:33 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Ended? What the hell you talking about? We’re just getting started baby!

• JPhelps
      12:43 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Funny thing is… The one thing you can always do troll our football fan base is tell them the season is over, and you’re looking forward to basketball season…

Works. Every. Time. The fangs come out! It’s hilarious!

• 4everUKblue
      1:21 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

You’re the troll bandwagon boy. We already have enough trolls we don’t need another one.

• StillBP
      1:54 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

If trolling is your hobby, you have a sad life.

• JPhelps
      2:55 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

The only reason I do it is because I know Mashburnfan1 loves football, so I’m going to troll football like he doesn’t basketball….

He created me!

• 4everUKblue
      3:25 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

If that’s your reasoning I can almost get behind you.

• cats646
      8:30 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

I believe mashburn turned down JPhelps gay a$$ and he’s feeling salty. Fuk you J!! You’re the worst type of fan, you’re exactly like mashburn yet you’re coming at him for something you claim to hate. I’m a football fan first but I’m also a huge basketball fan and want them to win every game. I’ve had to grow up hearing that bullish!t year after year, “ at least we have basketball”. It’s always pissed me off, but I understood why people said it. Because our basketball program was great and our football program wasn’t. But in case you haven’t noticed fukhead, our football program is on the rise!! Have we arrived? No. Are we a top 10 program in the country? No. But we have NEVER regressed under Mark Stoops, and we ain’t about to start!! Anyone who b!tches about our football program because of that loss yesterday can gtfo of our fan base. Get the fuk over mashburn and cheer for the GREAT things that are happening around both our basketball AND football programs!!
      Fuk JPhelps
      Fuk Florida
      Fuk SEC officials
      and let’s go FUK Mississippi state up next week and make a statement!!
      #bringit!!!!!

• satcheluk
      9:53 am September 17, 2019 Permalink

I concur with these sentiments. Well said.

3. BluKudzu
    12:44 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

It is funny….after a totally humiliating loss revealing how bad our football team is, KSR chooses to load up on Calipari stories to shift the focus.

Probably a good idea, keeping the fans from demanding better from the millionaire football coaches.

Football season, for all intents and purposes, is over. This was the year to prove to everyone, all the doubters that last year, we arrived, and were going to elbow our way in to the top 25.

That chance is gone for the rest of the season and we have firmly set our program back to where we were, the laughing stock of the SEC, back to the bottom third.

Give that boy a raise. Again.

• 4everUKblue
      1:22 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

What were you saying last season? Were you questioning Stoops salary then? I doubt it.

• KatFan48
      1:25 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

How did you escape from Knoxville or are you just trolling from there.

• StillBP
      1:55 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

OMG THE SKY IS FALLING! WE LOST TO A TOP 10 TEAM WHEN WE AREN’T EVEN RATED. FIRE STOOPS, HIRE KUDZU!!!

• StillBP
      1:56 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Well I meant ranked not rated. That stinks lol. But still, fire Stoops, hire Kudzu!

• BluKudzu
      2:31 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

You know you all are correct. Just a horrible type fan with greater expectations after all the raises as well as facilities investments, believing the hype pumped by this forum and the coaches telling us we are a great football team.
      My expectations overreached.
      I was venting as a fan of higher hopes, but reality has caught me totally off guard.
      Apologies to all offended.

• catsarerunnin
      9:28 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Kudzu is a vine that brings down everything.

• cats646
      8:38 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Our season is over because a top 10 team barely came back to beat us with MAJOR help from the officials???
      Fuk you Blu!! You’re just as ignorant as JPhelps up there. We are a better team then Florida, we just had some bad breaks. Yes there was questionable play calls but coaching absolutely did NOT lose us this game!! How about two bullish!t targeting calls?? How about a two dropped interceptions on their go ahead scoring drive?? How about the missed field goal?? We had chances to win this game but our youth and the fact that we lost 3 defensive linemen and 2 defensive backs in an already very thin and young secondary by the end of the game, and a spotty kicker cost us in the end. We’re still on the rise! So enjoy the ride or hop off the wagon and shut your fukin mouth!

• USMC Cat
      8:46 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Drew actually hinted at this article last week. Said it was coming out Sunday. But regardless, why wouldn’t they? Do we need another football post about how we blew it against Florida again?

4. mashman 93
    1:28 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

Love Coach Cal!!!

5. makeitstop
    10:38 pm September 15, 2019 Permalink

I love Cal as the CEO of The Program for life and I get most of what he says even when it’s in code, but can someone help me w what it means to get “dragged around the country for a hat?” Does he mean for those choose a hat in the HS gym exercises? Help? Urban dictionary?