John Calipari once again shoots down home-and-home series with Indiana

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

If you’ve been waiting for the return of the Kentucky/Indiana basketball series, well, don’t hold your breath.

On today’s special summer edition of the SEC Basketball Teleconference, John Calipari pretty much nixed the possibility of the series returning, at least in a home-and-home format.

“Our schedule is so locked in, I’m not sure, here in the next four to five years, if even talking about it does anything,” Cal said when asked what it would take for the series to restart. “We’re hoping to do something in London next year, we’ve got this challenge that we put together, the [Champions Classic] and then the [CBS Sports Classic]. We have a game that we have to play with Louisville. We have our big challenge with the Big 12. Our stuff is pretty well loaded so I don’t see it happening any time in the near future.”

Since the 2011-12 team lost to Indiana in Bloomington and fans nearly trampled Darius Miller while storming the court, Cal has been adamant about not renewing the home-and-home series with Indiana; however, as he reminded the reporter, he did propose a neutral-site series with Indiana years ago, with both games taking place at Lucas Oil Stadium, which the Hoosiers refused.

“What I did was — here’s what you’ve got to understand. When we first decided, I presented to Indiana that we would play two games in the big building in Indianapolis. Two games, we’ll play them both there. We’re not going to do this home-and-home but I’ll play both games there. They turned that down, which then, at that point, okay, we’re moving on because I can’t present anything that’s any better.”

So, still keeping his foot down about a home-and-home series?

“Yeah, we have enough home-and-homes right now.”

[mobile_ad]

31 Comments for John Calipari once again shoots down home-and-home series with Indiana

1. 2Dogs
    12:29 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

How about something with Detroit Mercy?

• FakeDickeyV
      12:41 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Are they allowed to play a WNBA team?

• Mark D
      4:31 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

FDV you should change name to Fake Drew F. Drew used the WNBA reference this morning on KSR.

• Look Out Fireworks
      12:44 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Oh! BURN!! You got them good, Fake!

Oh the zingers we get in these comments!! They crack me up!!

• N-UR-i
      1:50 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha. Look out fireworks said what I always think. Too funny.

2. eddiesuttonsliver
    12:30 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

brace yourselves. grumpy old dudes, indiana fans who think calipari is afraid and their program is still relevant, people who have the popcorn box the watford shot is on, dick vitale, and a bunch of other goobers just felt a great disturbance in the force.

• Memphis UK Cat
      1:22 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, we almost punched a few Indiana fans to get out of that s hole place.

• J. Did
      5:54 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

IU fans have damaged egos. It is sad. CAL is just trying to provide the eager want. Why would KENTUCKY enter their racist ‘death’ palace? INDIANA fans = racists, evil, spiteful, belligerent, foolish, bullying, lame-ass bunch of wannabes.

3. Look Out Fireworks
    12:43 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Fine by me. We don’t need to play indiana.

4. nellis234
    12:45 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

I mean, we already play a bunch of mid majors, why add another?

• RealCatsFan
      1:34 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

That is a major insult to mid majors everywhere.

5. ukwildcat1991
    12:46 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

At this point, who the hell cares. Home and home series blah blah blah. Cal thinks one thing, Indiana thinks another. Neither of them are wrong or right. they both think they are right. Just go play the game and stop comparing who’s d!cks are bigger lol

6. wildcat wayne
    12:51 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Indiana needs UK, UK doesn’t need them! They’re irrelevant and have been for quite soom time.

7. Bruce Dickinson
    12:53 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Indiana is no longer a blue blood. We don’t need to endanger our players by going to Bloomington.

8. CatfaninCinci
    1:04 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

I remember reading a story about an IU student dumping a beverage over the head of a special needs UK fan who happened to be in Bloomington after Watford hit the most important shot in IU history.

Everything that has happened to IU since, the meteoric fall back to irrelevance starts with Crean ending that series. I take great joy in the fact that such classless fans have to watch that smoldering dumpster fire year after year.

• krautdog
      1:31 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

AGREED!!!

• riandri
      3:57 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Agreed as well. My nieces, in their mid-20’s were at the last game and were scared. The stories they tell point clearly to IU fans being assholes (yea, I’ll say it)!

• J. Did
      6:49 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Well stated CatfaninCinci. I concur with krautdog and riandri. Some of my best friends happen to be IU fans, who pridefully boast of their hate for KENTUCKY, all the while drinking Kentucky Bourbon. It always brings it out. And I laugh and turn the other cheek – because I don’t hate IU. I feel sorry for them. Nothing I can do about their loss of program and soul. They’re still my friends. But their hate holds more disdain for UofK than my Louisville friends. Which is delightful.

• notFromhere
      8:41 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

So well said, Cinci!

9. runningunnin.454
    1:35 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Not going to happen, Loosiers; IU would have to offer remedial classes in manners and sportsmanship.
    Why should we play them, at all; they had nothing last year, and their recruiting class for next season is ranked 55th in the nation?

10. RealCatsFan
    1:35 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

Any way someone could teach Nick or EJ to block shots like that?

11. mashman 93
    1:54 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

We don’t need Indiana.

12. scwhite9
    2:21 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

My Memphis friends are convinced UK will play a home/away game at Nashville every year. I told them that would never happen. It would only benefit Memphis. Just because Penny wants it does not mean it is happening.

13. KyZoneBlitz
    3:22 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

It wasn’t just how terrible the fans treated our players the entire game.., the refs handed the Hoosier inbreds the game…. we also lost to vandy in the SEC title conference game, and I won’t make excuses, they played a great game and beat us… no ways around it, hit big shots, played good D, we lost, but that game at indy…. it was lost before we tipped off…. and I think that, on top of the fans, and I agree with Cal, I wouldn’t go back there either, because even coming to Rupp, we wouldn’t treat their players the same way…. neutral site makes sense, if they don’t want it, too bad….

14. CatsfaninFL
    3:23 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

I lived in Indiana for 4 years. Don’t give them anything. They have a hatred for us that I just cannot understand or explain. We owe them nothing.

15. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:16 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

There’s places here in Indiana that still has more UK fans than IU, there’s places that have as many Little Louis fans as IU, and then there’s places with 50% UK fans 25% from all over 15% who don’t care for sports and like 10% IU fans. SW Indiana is the later.

16. samodamo
    5:36 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

I say play the game. Make them accountable if they can’t handle their fans.

17. samodamo
    5:38 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

I say play the game and make them accountable if they can’t handle their fans.

18. hollcat
    6:58 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

If we’re going to play a team from Indiana there are better programs than IU. Purdue, Norte Dame, Butler, Ft Wayne for example.

• J. Did
      7:27 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

I can recall in the 70’s the rivalry with Notre Dame. It was awesome. Digger Phelps vs. Joe B. Hall. I remember nemesis Kelly Tripucka’s highlights. I recall the Dwight Lightening theatrics. Back in the day; and now we have the good old days, better.

19. wadmalawcat
    9:33 pm June 27, 2019 Permalink

I hate IU as much as the next Cats fan, but to say we have home and homes already is incorrect. Outside of conference, little brother is our only home and home.