WATCH: John Calipari on his players’ draft decisions

Fresh off a few days in Destin, John Calipari and his five o’clock shadow took to social media to address last night’s draft decisions. As you might expect, he defended Jarred Vanderbilt and Wenyen Gabriel’s decisions to remain in the draft, hinting that there was more interest in Vanderbilt than fans were aware of, despite his injuries.

“With Jarred and the injuries, this is a good opportunity for him to step out and I think there’s been interest. There are things that you don’t know that we know. So, they have an interest in him.”

“Wenyen, with his family situation, if he wants to do this, I’m for him. I’m on the phone right now making phone calls for him to different clubs.”

Cal praised PJ Washington for being mature enough to realize his draft stock wasn’t as high as he ultimately wanted, and returning to school on a mission.

“PJ played well in the combine. I was there in Chicago, I talked to the people. He really helped himself, but this draft played out to where he wasn’t going to fall where he wanted to go. He wasn’t going to be in that situation. How about him saying, ‘I worked out, I did what I want, it’s not where I want to be drafted. I’m coming back. I want to win a national title and I want to be in that NBA and have an impact and be ready for it.'”

In conclusion, Cal reminded everyone that he could have the right recipe to make some major noise next season.

“Everyone that knows this program knows that when we have veterans come back with good young players, it’s been a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to it.”

Same.

[mobile_ad]

7 Comments for WATCH: John Calipari on his players’ draft decisions

1. IAmTheDanger
    4:39 pm May 31, 2018 Permalink

I’m surprised Cal can get his right hand off the desk with that NC ring on his finger.

2. TonyMontana
    4:41 pm May 31, 2018 Permalink

Is he growing a beard? I’d like to see that… IDK if I’d like it, but I want to see how he looks with one.

Man I would’ve loved for them all to come back, but I’m getting more and more excited for next season. I hope we have a Shai surprise again. (A player outperforming expectations by far)

3. bosch8184
    4:44 pm May 31, 2018 Permalink

“when we have veterans come back with good young players, it’s been a lot of fun.”

No shit, we should do it more than once every 4 years.

• bigbluebanana
      4:57 pm May 31, 2018 Permalink

And you shouldn’t comment more than once every four years

• mashburnfan1
      6:02 pm May 31, 2018 Permalink

bosch is right, when we have no returning players we NEVER have a shot at a title. However last year we had a couple guys return but they were not as good as Cal thought when he recruited them and the FR class was filled with dud performances. It only works when the returning guys are good, so far PJ could fit that but Nick not so much, and the FR are as good as their rankings. If not it is just another wait till the June draft year. If the FR are that good we will have a shot if Travis comes.

4. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    5:20 pm May 31, 2018 Permalink

Now if Reid Travis would come on down! It would be nice to get another wing grad transfer too. A Darius Miller type.

5. unbridled
    5:55 pm May 31, 2018 Permalink

I like my team and I barely know them. In cal I trust.