John Calipari now has a winning record against teams ranked No. 1

I wish I had the skills to photoshop John Calipari flipping like John Marsh.

John Calipari is pretty good at coaching the No. 1 team in America. Turns out, he’s pretty good at beating the No. 1 team in America, too.

Kentucky helped themselves immensely by beating No. 1 Tennessee inside Rupp Arena Saturday night. But the players and the fans aren’t the only ones who have something to smile about. The victory also pushed John Calipari to a 5-4 record over top-ranked teams, making him the only coach with a winning record over teams ranked No. 1 in the nation (out of coaches who have faced the highest-rated team at least seven times).

Throughout the storied history of college basketball, 87 different coaches have had the pleasure of facing off against the No. 1 team at least seven times. Now, John Calipari is the only one above .500. He’s 2-2 during his time at Kentucky.

And haters will still try and say he can’t coach.

@MaggieDavisKSR

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

32 Comments for John Calipari now has a winning record against teams ranked No. 1

1. Parker_UKFanNC
    5:40 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Cal just rolls the ball out there and gets lucky. Sooo many better coaches out there. Last night was further proof of my infallible opinion. I am right. Hahahahahaha

• mashburnfan1
      11:02 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Tom Crean and Billy Tubbs also have a winning record vs #1 teams with at least 5 games played, so what. When you get the best players almost every year of course you will win some games. How many games has he lost as the favorite? At Memphis he had the luxury of a weak schedule and got top seeds {easiest path} and still could not win. Also don’t forget how many of his wins at Memphis and UMass no longer count. {I know you will say Cal had no idea of those happenings….wink wink}. Oh and the 2-2 at UK includes a loss to Crean, who we make fun of weekly {as we should}

• bigbluebanana
      11:36 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

God, you’re terrible. Article wasn’t written about coaches with at least 5 games played, otherwise, you’d have a cogent argument. If we are going to change the rules to fit our narrative, why not include coaches with 1 game played to further along the stagnant pile of lizard shlt you’re using as an argument against Cal? Cal will coach at UK longer than most of us will stick around and comment on this site. He will go when he decides to go, meanwhile, you should be grateful he resurrected UK b-ball and made us relevant again. I feel like a dlck for ever giving you the benefit of the doubt on here, you’re getting as bad as bigolblue. You’re a poser mash, and proving yourself to be at the bottom of the barrel with the rest of your mouth breathing cohorts around here. Please go start your own site with them where you all can sit and commiserate in an angry circle jerk focused on why UK sucks.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:28 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Mash, there is a difference between having balls and being ignorant. It would take either an enormous amount of balls or gargantuan , almost untold – levels of total ignorance for you to continue to sh!tpost here after last night’s win.

If you ACTUALLY have season tickets – they are wasted on an ignorant fool. ( I realize that is a slightly redundant title but appropriate)

• ClutchCargo
      1:25 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

trashburn has no logical argument to back up his agenda, so he just makes shit up as needed. It’s a lot of work being a miserable, negative prick, so I’ll give him credit for that.

• Skooms
      8:39 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Mashburnfan and BoB are getting more and more salty as UK keeps beating quality opponents. You can see it in their posts. I LOVE IT!

• runningunnin.454
      9:19 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Here’s another for Mash to spin; Cal’s winning percentage at UK ranks 5th all-time. Three of the four ahead of him are dead, and Mark Few has ruled an extremely weak conference.

2. Catfan4life-original
    5:42 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

I like my coach!

3. bigbluebanana
    5:49 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

God, it’s me, bigbluebanana. Hope you’re well. I know we don’t talk a lot, and that’s on me. However, if you could just do me one solid, I’ll never ask for anything for myself ever again. Can you please, PLEASE let no more excuses and bigolblue read this and come in this thread talking trash about Cal? Cal is catholic, so I’m sure y’all are boys. And please, if you do allow them to run their stupid, stupid mouths in this thread, please make sure they understand the gravity and impressive nature of what our coach has accomplished with this. K, Pitino, il’ Roy…none of them have done this. Billy Donovan, Brad Stephens, Greg Marshall and the dudes who coach LSU and Nevada sure as shlt ain’t done it. But please, I implore you for the sake of all of our entertainment, do not let them become any less delusional.

Thanks, much love!

BBB

P.S.
    – Number 9 would be bratty sweet too.

• 4everUKblue
      6:22 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Banana if Bigolblue sees it, so will No more excuses because they are one in the same, along with Slater and BigBlueNationDude from last year.

• 4everUKblue
      6:42 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Oh and combatmedic too.

• BigolBlue
      7:03 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Like I said all you turds mention my name ALL the time. I expose cal for what he is. Underachiever. Yes he is an excellent coach at times. How can a coach squander a team like 2009-10 or 2014-15. Even last year losing to K state when a final 4 was easily within reach. The ridiculous amount of talent and 1 title is absurd. All I hear is excuses from the KSR blue tinters. “The torunament is a crap shoot”. ” its all luck to win it”. Its bs and you guys know it. Cal is the pope. Just for you guys I WILL stop posting for a while. And 4ever you have to come up with new material. Your a nerd that I will shove into a locker. Your idea that only one person could question our lord and savior Cal is funny(not). We all know in the end this team will go sweet 16 elite 8 at best then we will have mostly a new team next year to not win the title again because that frontcourt is going to be weak. Now you can keep mentioning my name in every other post you make or not doesn’t matter. Nothing will change my opinion of Cal unless he wins one again which wont happen.

• calcat
      7:17 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Who’s been a better coach since cal has been at uk. What’s Memphis and umass some since cal has left.

• catsarerunnin
      7:17 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Slater mad.

• Cokely53
      7:22 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

BigolBlue is salty hahaha somebody is butt hurt after we spanked UTs butt last night. Glad to see we got under your skin loser.

• jimmer
      7:16 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

BBB I’m sure cussing in your convo with God will help get your request. Haha.

• bigbluebanana
      7:26 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Ever see the movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? That’s my vision of what God must be like! Lol. I’m sure god even dropped a “son of a bltch, my bad” when he accidentally created bigolblue. I’m sure he gets it.

Yes bigolblue, we drop your name in context of how effing dumb you are. You are the center of the joke numbnuts. You don’t “expose” jack…you’re just some random guy on a chat site, viewed and responded to by maybe 6 of us because we like making you look stupid. Never forget that that is what you are…a joke to a few people on a location specific fan site. I understand this is the pinnacle of your life, but you’re still just a lame joke. How very sad that must be for you to just be a mere thought on a few stranger’s minds for 5 minutes a day.

• 4everUKblue
      7:26 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

We’re exposing you for what you are BigolSlaterMedic, aka No more excuses aka BigBlueNationDude.

• 4everUKblue
      7:28 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Slater I would drag you down the street and beat you every step of the way just like the punk you are.

• 4everUKblue
      7:38 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Oh and it’s not a question if more than one person could not like Cal, you’re just too stupid to cover your tracks. All the aforementioned names you use have the exact same writing style (idiotic) and you’ve admitted it numerous times. You think because you’re the second half starting guard in the rec league you’re a badazz….but you’re just a little butt hurt pansy!

• kentuckybackupplayer
      8:36 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Bigoleblue is the AOC of this forum.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:33 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

bOb – you expose nothing except your unfortunate situation that requires nonsense-spewing ona UK fan-site in order for you to feel pleasure. There are numerous possible diagnoses for your condition – None of them pretty, all of them terminal.

BBB – Have to say that Slater and No excuses are NOT the same person. Slater can actually spell or has someone to type for him that at least has heard of a dictionary.

No Excuses – Well he has at least one excuse – No grammar, reading, spelling or composition skills to compliment his ludicrous reasoning

4. kyinsider
    5:58 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Rick Pitino is a champion for the first time since 1996, but not without controversy. Read about it KY Insider!

• Nickerbocker05
      6:43 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Dude no one is going to click on your scamming web address… just do us a favor and ?

• jimmer
      7:15 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Get the heck outta here. Even if your blog is decent promoting it here is classless. Lame.

• catsarerunnin
      7:19 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

BigolBlew will never be an insider or inside her.

• bigbluebanana
      7:27 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Very nicely done catsarerunnin

5. kentuckybackupplayer
    6:05 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah all the coaches that know a lot about coaching that elect coaches to the college basketball coaching hall of fame voted Cal into the hall with the rest of the coaches who know a lot about coaching who were elected by a bunch of coaches who know about coaching. Cal knows coaching.

6. UKWildcatFan4Life
    8:35 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

Cal can coach and he is one of the best to EVER do it at the college level. PERIOD. You don’t have to agree but if you argue otherwise then maybe basketball isn’t the sport for you.

7. makeitstop
    10:44 am February 18, 2019 Permalink

As Reagan once noted “facts are stubborn things.” You can question a decision without being disloyal but to argue that the objective data – wins and losses – are somehow devalued by ur subjective assessment of “relative talent” is absurd. Cal is a HoF coach, fact; he is about to become the second winningest coach in our history with a much better win percentage than Coach Hall – he’s got a winning record against teams ranked #1. These are facts, they’re undisputed. Can we get past the idiotic “Cal can’t coach” debate? Sure he makes mistakes in games, and he misses on recruits, but so does every other coach who ever lived. I remember a story about Bear Bryant not using George Blanda to kick a game winner against – I think, UT – and ultimately missing it, and losing. He was a pretty good coach too. Any thesis which begins or ends with “he can’t coach” exposes the paucity of reason or rational thought, or just underlying bias. We likely were one bad call from going undefeated in 2015 – how would that have changed the narrative? And is Cal responsible for that? Did he miss on Skal? Yea, we all did. If he lived up to billing, that team might have gone to a FF w Ulis and Murray. We came a whisker from going back to the FF w Fox and Monk and Bam… we all remember what happened and it wasn’t Cal that cost us that game. So, 2-3 things not in his control goi differently and then he’s the GOAT, but instead time has passed him by and he’s overrated? It’s absurd. Knock it off.

• KYjellyRoll
      2:00 pm February 18, 2019 Permalink

Wonderfully said. I agree that, at times, cal does things that I don’t understand. Also, he misses on recruits and various other things irritate me. Does that mean I want a different coach? Absolutely not. Matter of fact, I still back cal 100% because he coaches my lifelong favorite team. And I’ll still cheer for UK even when he’s gone, if I live to see it. Go Cats

8. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:00 pm February 18, 2019 Permalink

Cal can’t coach means neither can Self, Krackanweski, or Pitino(When he was at UK) because they have all been the absolute team to win the natty and failed miserably because of bad game planning or not lockimg down an obvious game winning capable player at the obvious worst moment. PS I still think Laettner doesn’t deserve hate but pity that he had to be that wide open to win a game.