John Calipari, Joel Justus update Dontaie Allen’s status

When Kahlil Whitney announced he was leaving Kentucky, many viewed it as an opportunity for Dontaie Allen. The freshman forward was cleared to practice almost two months ago following his recovery from knee surgery to repair a torn ACL, but according to John Calipari, it will still be a while before we see him play in a game.

“Not at this point,” Cal said on his radio show last night. “I don’t think he’s ready to get in there and get on the court.”

Allen was named Mr. Basketball after a record-setting career at Pendleton County. He finished his high school career with 3,255 points, which ranks 11th all-time in state history, despite missing the majority of his senior season with an injury. He averaged 42.9 points and 14.2 rebounds per game as a senior until he suffered a torn ACL in his left knee on December 22, 2018. In April 2019, he broke his collarbone in a car accident.

After Allen was cleared to play back in December, Calipari said conditioning was an issue due to swelling in his knee, hence the caution in bringing him back to game shape.

“He’s practiced, but no, he’s a ways away [from playing]. He had an ACL [injury],” Calipari said on Dec. 13. “He’ll practice, and then two days he can’t practice. When he practices, he’s probably about 75%. But I’m glad he’s on the floor some.”

This afternoon, Joel Justus said Allen’s working hard in practice, but the coaching staff refuses to rush him back.

“He’s practicing, he’s getting better,” Justus said. “I think Dontaie’s working hard and everyone’s on their own path and their own timetable. When Dontaie’s ready and willing to be ready to go — I think for us, there’s no rush on our part. I don’t think there’s any rush there. You want to make sure you’re in the right frame of mind and the right physical state of mind. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”

19 Comments for John Calipari, Joel Justus update Dontaie Allen’s status

1. secrick
    2:48 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

Has any Team or coaching staff had more bad luck than this one, Baker, Vanderbilt, and now Allen. Just hope this kid sticks around and burns the nets next year,

• ukkatzfan
      3:44 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

If you are going to put Baker and Vanderbilt on this team, you might as well put Nerlens and Poyntress on it also. But I don’t think they count towards the current team. But thats just my opinion.

2. bigbluebg
    3:09 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

Vandy has lost their best player for the year this season and last season. Aaron Nessmith this season and Darius Garland the previous year. So to answer your question, yes. And even from a team inside our own SEC East division. Injuries are part of the sport. If Joel Embiid doesn’t get hurt in 2012, I’m not sure the Cats take home the ship.

• kenforkentucky
      3:44 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

You mean the same Joel Embiid that played at Kansas from 2013-2014??

• ColoradoCatFan88
      3:46 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

Joel Embiid wasn’t on that 2012 Kansas roster smart guy..

• RAGE
      6:43 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking that same thing as well… Colorado i think they have their years confused which is easy to do in the one and done era

• bigbluebg
      11:01 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

Facts are optional.

3. Rick_S
    3:19 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

Been 14months..They must have replaced his leg

• ColoradoCatFan88
      3:48 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

So basically what the coaches are trying to say without actually saying it is.. he’s not going to be playing in any games at all this season. Man that’s so disappointing because with Whitney departing, he would’ve been able to solidify himself & make a big impact. Next season he is going to have to compete & contend with some studs at that 3 position for playing time.

4. BluemanGreen
    3:28 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

He’s a sleeper candidate to be a stud next year. When you’re scoring 50 per at any level against any competition…you can play

5. 1war
    3:48 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

Chip

6. bigbluebg
    11:13 pm January 28, 2020 Permalink

Also, army man who always has to talk smack…it was Ben McLemore and Jamari Taylor that were suspended. I mixed up two bball seasons that happened over 5 years ago. I’m smart enough to get into college, finish, and get paid doing a job that doesn’t involve getting shot at by the enemy.

• JASUN74
      12:32 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Cleaning your moms toes once a week so she’ll buy your cigarettes and Mt Dew isn’t what most consider a Job!! I’m just joking with you, but you should have a little more respect for the Men and Women who fight for your rights to be free!! Without them sacrificing all they have for us you would have nothing!!

No one was calling you out man, they were simply correcting your statement! THATS ALL! If you can’t just say Thanks and My Bad, you probably are going to have a hard time posting here without staying mad. Calm down a little. Lol. It’s really not that bad.

Ohh, You have a fantastic rest of the evening, you big college grad you!! Lol. Easy now, just another little joke. Hahaha Go Cats!!!

• JASUN74
      12:38 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Looking back, he did have to call you smart guy! Some people just can’t help it I guess!! Carry on, Lmao. I guess we should all be a little nicer to each other.

• RAGE
      6:46 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

It is def easy to get years confused in this era of college basketball

7. bigbluebg
    3:50 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

JASUN74…they see me trollin’! Someone already corrected my error and this guy just loves calling people out. Im sure he will still fall for the bait and go off. Cuz he’s a SMART GUY! lol. My point it fine call out the error…but I provided a true fact before that answering someone else’s question…but he ignores that and goes for the insult. The dude is a chad.

8. bigbluebg
    3:51 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

My point is fine*

• JASUN74
      5:54 am January 29, 2020 Permalink

Lol. Yeah after I saw he was giving you the smart guy stuff, I thought, get him. Haha. Time for work. You guys have a good one.