Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

John Calipari feels “confident” Olivier Sarr will receive waiver from NCAA

Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

No, Kentucky has not received word from the NCAA regarding Olivier Sarr’s waiver request.

There is, however, confidence within the program that the talented 7-foot center will ultimately be deemed eligible to play this season in Lexington.

In a conference call with Kentucky media members this morning, UK head coach John Calipari said the Wake Forest transfer’s paperwork is all in and the program feels “confident” the NCAA will approve his waiver when it comes time for a final decision.

“The Olivier [paperwork] has been in, we’re waiting to hear,” Calipari said. “We feel confident, but you never know till you hear he’s good to go. He’s got a great case. We’ll wait to hear.”

Calipari said that with Kentucky’s recent history with departing transfers – Johnny Juzang, Jemarl Baker, and Quade Green being the prominent names who received immediate eligibility – he knows the procedures and what the NCAA is looking for when deciding on specific cases.

“There’s two pieces of this. We have an idea because every kid that leaves us is ruled eligible right away, so we know what it is,” the UK head coach said. “I’d say, these cases have to fall in like three different buckets. This bucket, that bucket, or this bucket to really be considered. Knowing that, I may have said some stuff on Stephen A. Smith that maybe got them mad and they’ll say, “Great, Sarr’s not eligible.” I don’t think they’d do that to a kid, but these cases, some are high profile. They’ll be more in-tune to because it’s a high profile case. Kids have left us before, so I have an idea of what the procedure is like.”

After committing to and signing with Kentucky back on May 6, Sarr’s waiver request was officially submitted in the following weeks prior to June.

Midway through July, we’re now approaching two months since the NCAA received the paperwork. Other cases, both basketball and football, have since been approved, but the wait continues for Sarr.

Though fans have quickly grown impatient, Calipari said the delay is reasonable, as the NCAA tends to be more thorough in high profile cases.

With Kentucky being, well, Kentucky, along with Sarr being considered the top transfer in all of college basketball, Calipari says the NCAA simply wants to make sure they “have this right.”

“What they do is they’ll red flag it because it’s Kentucky, it’s Olivier Sarr, who’s one of the best transfer players,” Calipari said. “They’ll want to make sure, “Let’s really make sure we have this right,” and it may take more time. I don’t think we’ll be treated any different, I know they don’t treat it any different than any other case. But it’s more of a high profile case so they’ll look at it [closer].”

Last year at Wake Forest, the 7-foot, 255-pound center averaged an impressive 13.7 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game. He shot 52.7% from the floor, made the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Third Team and was the runner-up for the 2020 ACC Most Improved Player award. In his third season with the Demon Deacons, Sarr led the team with 11 double-doubles and 33 blocks, scored in double figures in 23 games and was a two-time ACC Player of the Week.

The standout big man was particularly good late in conference play, finishing on a six-game double-figure scoring run with three double-doubles. Included in that season-ending tear was a 20-point, 13-rebound game vs. Pitt in the 2019-20 finale, a career-high 30 points and 17 rebounds in a win vs. Notre Dame, and 25 points in a double-overtime victory over Duke. Sarr also enjoyed three straight double-doubles in January vs. Virginia, Clemson and Boston College and recorded 21 points and 13 rebounds vs. nationally ranked Arizona.

While the talent is unquestioned, Sarr’s eligibility is arguably the biggest remaining question in college basketball going into the 2020-21 season.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

14 Comments for John Calipari feels “confident” Olivier Sarr will receive waiver from NCAA



  1. Ez21
    1:59 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

    What did Cal day to Steven A?



    • runningunnin.454
      3:05 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

      That’s a million dollar question. C’mon Cal, why say something that would make them mad?



    • michaelb
      11:11 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

      That they would red flag it because it’s Kentucky



  2. Dr. Tom
    2:06 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

    Drew, take a road trip up to Indy and find out why the NCAA is taking so long to make a decision!!



    • Megan
      2:47 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

      It’s been about two months in other cases. And that’s about what’s it’s been now. So we should probably expect to hear something this week or next. If we don’t, I’ll start getting antsy myself.



  3. mashburnfan1
    3:32 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

    He still may declare for the draft. I mean he said he would have if Manning had not talked him out of it and that was supposed to be his argument to be eligible now. With the expanded deadline he can still do that



    • runningunnin.454
      5:21 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

      He might; but, why go to all the trouble of moving on campus?



    • UKBigBlueForever
      7:40 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

      Trashburnfan1, how I’ve missed your negativity. Why would he move on campus if he was going to declare?



  4. kjd
    3:58 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

    Doesn’t matter. No games will be played.



    • UKFaninCO
      5:18 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

      Suck it!



  5. blueblue
    6:56 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

    The biggest question going into the season is…

    Will there BE a basketball season and what will it look like???

    Then the second biggest question is Sarr’s eligibility.



  6. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    8:30 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

    This team has all the makings of an offensive team that can defend.



    • BobbyBlue
      3:26 pm July 15, 2020 Permalink

      It certainly did not take over 2 months for Juzang to UCLA and Baker to Arizona to be declared eligible, and homesick is the only thing they could claim. The high profile QB that recently transferred from USC to UGa did not wait over 2 months, and he had no valid reason for transfer and immediate eligibility.
      I believe Emmert is still butt hurt over the Terrance Jones commitment, reversal, and he is into a stall to avoid the backlash from ruling Sarr ineligible. That way when it finally becomes obvious to all that there can not be a season he can get ahead if the announcement and rule him eligible and avoid the back lash over the controversial, immediate transfer eligibility for kids whose coach has left.



    • UKBigBlueForever
      10:31 pm July 15, 2020 Permalink

      I think we’ll find out in the next week or two about Sarr. I have a good feeling about it too. A bunch of us are a little too paranoid