John Calipari confirms Alex Poythress tore his ACL

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics)

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics)

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics)

In case you haven’t heard, yesterday, Alex Poythress tore his ACL in practice. John Calipari confirmed the news in a blog post on his site this morning:

Alex tore his ACL during yesterday’s practice. It was a breakaway layup and no one bumped him. He stepped with his left foot and just went down.

When I saw Alex last night, I said to him exactly what I said to Nerlens: “You’re fine. If this is something crazy, you have insurance and you’re a millionaire. You have even more time than Nerlens had to prepare yourself for the draft if that’s what you choose to do. You can also come back. You’re going to have your degree in May and you can start on a master’s degree for your last year.” Alex is nearly a straight-A student and one of the greatest kids that I’ve ever coached.

Our team was devastated for Alex when I told them. There were tears throughout the room because this hurt them to the core. How they will respond I really don’t know, but I will do my best to be there for each of these kids.

I told them, this is a big blow to our team. No one will be able to replace Alex and what he did for this team. I go back to last year’s NCAA Tournament. Without Alex, we don’t win those games. No one will be able to replace him, but now everybody has to do a little bit more as we try to circle the wagons.

Absolutely heartbreaking. Head on over to CoachCal.com to see more.

13 Comments for John Calipari confirms Alex Poythress tore his ACL

1. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:15 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

If other teams weren’t on notice before, then they are now. This season is now being played for Alex. Get well soon AP!

2. loosey101
    8:23 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Man, this is tough on so many levels, I feel for Alex. Alex has grown into a fan favorite and has that “Darius Miller” effect on games, where he comes in and makes an immediate impact. Out of all the players to lose, I feel like Alex’s impact will be the hardest to replace. Thankfully, this team is deep and driven, so losing Alex just gives them another motivating factor. Hopefully, Cal will stick to the platoons and bump in Willis or adjust the lineup between Willis and Hawkins. Either way, Alex, sending good vibes your way and you’ll be motivating the players on April 6th!

• Musehobo
      9:39 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

While I hate to see this for Alex and the team, I have to disagree that his contribution would be the hardest to replace. That would be WCS and it’s not even close. Alex’ 5 points and 4 rebounds are easily replaceable by Willis. What is not replaceable is his leadership and knack for making big plays at the right time. Those things are valuable but not essential for us to win a championship. Hope he gets well soon.

3. BlueDeuce
    8:29 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Terrible news to read this morning! Alex was such a huge part of this team on both offense and defense! His ability to put back misses with authority, rebounding, blocking shots, guarding his man…so much a part of the team!

The rest of the guys will pick up their game for him but he will be missed! Get well soon AP!

4. DT in DC
    8:46 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Does anyone know off the top of their head if he would qualify for a medical redshirt if he chose to come back next year?

• jsh2001
      8:52 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

He still has a year of eligibility anyways, I can’t imagine him being back for two years so I doubt it would matter.

• DT in DC
      8:57 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

True. Someone just told me they think it is 30%, and if my math is right, we’ve played 32% of our games.

• BTownUKFan
      9:15 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Alex had already missed 2 games due to illness so he is below the 30% threshhold.

5. RealCatsFan
    9:06 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Like Coach said, Alex will be fine financially, and even if he didn’t have the insurance policy, he is a bright kid and would do well in life even without the NBA. The future is still bright, Alex – this is just a minor, albeit painful, setback. Spend the winter and summer getting rehabbed, hit the weight room, polish up that outside shot, and come back next year to earn your master’s degree and help the Cats bring home #10.

6. BTownUKFan
    9:16 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Best wishes to AP for a speedy recovery !! Keep your head up your team mates, coachese and the BBN will be there for you!!
    GO CATS !!

7. secrick
    9:17 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Sorry to hear about Alex, i know at John Parkers house Alex is one of the favorites as we watch most every game there. We are all pulling for you Alex and hope to see you next year on the floor at Ky or the NBA.

8. abdrury
    9:32 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Queue Tipton: “Coach, D. Rose has been plagued w/ injuries, then Nerlens, Julius in the NBA, now Alex. Are you going to change the way you treat your players?”

9. Agent_M
    9:41 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Probably the best human being on the team … we’ll miss AP this season.