John Calipari calls for consistency in officiating

This year, the NCAA introduced a new rule to cut down on flopping. Unfortunately, even though the rule book specifies how to identify a flop, the calls have been all across the board. Today, John Calipari called for consistency in officiating, specifically when it comes to flops.

“The whole thing is, my point, if you’re going to call it, call it or let it all go. When your post player gets it and he turns and flops, let it go. If you’re going to let a guy come off a screen and throw his head back, let it all go. If you’re going to let a guy kick his foot out and fall down and you don’t call it, I’m fine. Just don’t call any. Just leave it. I really don’t care what the rules are. I don’t care. Whatever it is, just make it consistent.”

A few weeks ago, Calipari was thrown out of the Arkansas game for challenging a moving screen call on EJ Montgomery that he believed was a flop. Cal’s initial beef was with Anthony Jordan, who made the call, but he got his second technical when Patrick Evans and Brian Shey tried to usher him back to his coach’s box.

“And you should never say, ‘I didn’t make [the call],'” Cal said of the officials. “You’re a team too. There are three of you. You’re a team. You saw what he’s doing. You do the same. You’re a team. It’s not one guy. ‘I didn’t call it, I was here.’ Well, why’d you call that one from thirty [yards away]? ‘Well, I’m not in the position.’ That’s my whole thing. I don’t care what they do. They’re not going to have an effect on the game if [hand motions]. There’s no effect on the game. If there’s an effect on the game, 15 fouls to 1, then you’ve kind of got to say something, I think.”

The inconsistency in officiating this season has made staying out of foul trouble even more important for players like Nick Richards. Right now, Richards is averaging 3.1 fouls per game, but as we saw on Wednesday night, when he’s out, the Cats suffer. Ahead of what will be another war on the road at Auburn, Calipari said he and his staff are going to brief the team on how to be physical without drawing a whistle.

“We’re going to talk about some of it today. If you’re their coach, what do you think you’re trying to do? [“Get Nick in foul trouble.”] So, you guys understand this isn’t brain surgery, what I’m doing here. The other guy, how do I get him out? How do I flop around? How do I tell my guy to, ‘Flop, flop, flop!’ How do I get him to do that to draw fouls? Do we post him 12 straight times? We’ve got to be prepared as a staff.”

Same goes for Ashton Hagans, another key ingredient to Kentucky’s success.

“He can’t have dumb fouls,” Cal said of Hagans. “You can’t foul 72 feet from the basket. You can’t foul. I keep telling these guys, this isn’t football. It’s not a touchdown. It’s two points that we’ll score in eight seconds. Calm down. We’re fine. But they take it personal and they get embarrassed. ‘I got beat and I got embarrassed, so I’m going to grab a guy.’ You can’t be in that mode. You’ve got to learn, okay, I got embarrassed, I’m not going to be embarrassed next time. I’m going to force him a different way. But it’s stuff we’ve got to talk about and address.”

“One thing I’ll tell you, where these kids want to go, the best players up there don’t foul out. They understand. ‘I am not fouling out.’ You’ve just got to be alert and you’ve got to be aware and you’ve got to be focused.”

17 Comments for John Calipari calls for consistency in officiating

1. mredmon2
    3:39 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

That would be great, I’m just afraid it will never happen!

2. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    5:17 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Please stop posting the Hammer commercials and not allowing comments. Actually just please stop posting the commercials.

3. scwhite9
    5:20 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

I’m with Coach Cal. I have been watching basketball for over 50 years and this year has the worst officiating EVER! I just cannot believe how bad it is. TN flopped all last year and the flops were only called one time that I saw. There has been lots of flopping this year as well as heads falling back as if they have been in a major car wreck. Unbelievable. I’m glad our guys don’t do this even though it might be a good movement to add to the plays.

PS A referee last week walked and bumped Rick Barnes and then tried to act as if Rick had bumped him. I hope someone looks into that. Unbelievable.

4. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    5:26 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

If they wouldn’t call all the fouls on one team when they’re ahead, making a run, or for 10 min straight then all of a sudden switch it to the other team we probably would know which teams are actually good.

5. CrystalBall
    5:30 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

They are consistent, aren’t they?

• 4everUKBlue
      6:51 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

They are consistently inconsistent. They really screw us now if they catch wind of this.

6. notFromhere
    7:09 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

They are consistently biased against UK. They consistently suck. They are consistent in their disgust for Cal.

They consistently put themselves above the game. Where’s the inconstistency?

They are the epitome of what Emmert stands for- bias, showmanship, soullessness, and injustice.

7. runningunnin.454
    7:11 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

They are consistently…bad. But, it cost Notre Dame $20,000 when Coach Mike Brey pointed that out. However, more coaches should speak out, there has to be some oversight.

8. ClutchCargo
    7:13 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Sh!t in one hand, wish for better officiating in the other, and see which one fills up first.

9. CrystalBall
    7:21 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

That is the consistency I meant. You are all right.

10. Bill Jackson
    7:28 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Here’s an idea, Completely do away with the charge. If there was no such call then coaches would stop coaching their players to run over, and stand in front of a driving player, and then fall down. Look at tapes back with Issel and Pratt played. Defense was not played that way at all. Coaches did not coach that as defense, so players did not do it. Also go back a look at Bob Knights Indiana teams, 6-10 Benson, a center, would go flying out of bounds when a guard drove to the basket, no way that was legit. So credit Knight for one more disgusting thing he taught his players to do. Listen to our current announcers, say that a player “really sold it”, referring to a possible charge, block call? What they are really saying is that player is actually cheating, to gain an advantage.

11. jaws2
    7:49 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

“It’s not a touchdown. It’s two points that we’ll score in eight seconds. Calm down. We’re fine.”
    One of the funniest things Cal has said in a while! We’ve probably scored in the first 8 seconds of the shot clock 10 times the entire season; at best.
    It’s more like don’t worry about it, we might get a shot up in the last 8 seconds of the shot clock in a panic or duress and score.

• Miller45
      8:34 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

There is too much game stoppage anyway in both College basketball and football to the point of completely disrupting the game. Im all for reviewing and rectifying calls but with all the tools and people at their disposal there should be no reason for taking so long to make rulings

• Miller45
      8:36 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t mean to post that as a response to your comment ^^ sorry

12. nicky
    8:41 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

It is absolutely time to go to 6 fouls like the NBA….and the NCAA wonders why attendance is down across the board..? When the guys you came to see play sit half of the first half and foul out with 10 minutes to play….they had better wake up….it’s on a downward spiral (I know the large screen TV, etc.is an issue, but still)

13. Rixter
    12:49 pm February 1, 2020 Permalink

The flop is effective, bottom line. It is the single most effective defensive strategy in the college game, and the single most consistently called – so until the officials stop calling it, any team that doesn’t employ the flop, and practice it… is at a disadvantage. It pains me to say that, it’s just the truth.