Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Joe B. Hall knows good basketball. Hall led Kentucky to the 1978 National Championship, and ever since has kept a close eye on the Cats from his seat at Rupp Arena. He even gave Cal advice on playing two seven footers together using the ketchup and mustard bottles at Wheeler’s Pharmacy.

Thomas Beisner interviewed Joe B. this morning, and Hall told him that he believes next season will be the best season in the history of UK basketball. Strong words.

Coming off an appearance in the National Championship game with only two starters gone, could Joe B. be right? Are we in for the best season ever next year?

31 Comments for Joe B. Hall says next season will be the best season in the history of UK Basketball

1. T-Shirt Salesman
    12:42 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

40-0 !!!!!!

• Luther
      2:58 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Right! 40 – 0 baby!!

2. hersheyisabear
    12:45 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

96 always comes to mind when talking of best seasons in UK history. But when Joe B. speaks you listen.

• TAXman
      12:59 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Joe B. is someone you always have to listen to, yes. But i won’t ever buy another ticket on the hype train again after last year. “Show me on the court” is what it will always come down to for me.

• Jeffrey
      1:59 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

2012 mirrors that season too.

• bigcatstanding
      6:05 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

this year at Kentucky, we’re not talking about a bunch of new players, and how it might pan out. We’re talking about 7 proven future NBA players, that already have experience and are proven. Oh and almost forgot 4 more future NBA players, coming in to spell, the players when they need a drink lol.

3. Casper
    12:46 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Wow! bold statement.

4. clam
    12:54 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

5. Cat Fan in Vegas
    1:00 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

It has the “potential” to be the best season ever.

6. RealUKFan
    1:03 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Coach Hall may end up being wrong. However, it there was ever a time to make such a prediction this is it. I think he may very well be right.

7. kybabe63
    1:06 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Glad to hear Joe B.’s take on the current state of affairs. Hope all the pessimistic naysayers quit with the “but what if”s, and give Coach Cal & his team the chance to show us what they’ve got. The talent is certainly overflowing. I for one am looking forward to the upcoming UK basketball season, not with bated breath but with anticipation. Go Cats!

8. DJT in TX
    1:10 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

how can it not be with this team coming back and coming in: http://straighthoops.com/one_and_not_done.html

9. bosshog
    1:10 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I think one thing Cal said matters most here (paraphrase): “We still have a long way to go. But next year everything will be founded on what we know needs to happen instead of what we hope will happen.” The biggest difference is that next year the returning guys will know exactly what they need to do, the kinds of things that need to happen for them to be successful. From the standpoint of knowing what it takes to get to the final game, they will be the most experienced team in the country (not to mention the deepest and most talented). I think this is where Joe B. is coming with his prediction.

10. Calvin
    1:13 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I am not trying to be too optimistic. However, the last time I heard Joe B say such a thing was
    when he was sitting in on the practices with the 2012 team of Davis, Gilchrist, etc. He was right then, and I HOPE he is right now. I do think it will take time to get a rotation down and we have a really tough schedule this year. So please no “40-0” talk. Its crazy, will probably never happen again, too much parity these days.

• UKBlue1!
      2:53 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Agreed. 40-0 is crazy….talk and its sitting your program up for failure.

• Jim Kretzer
      4:04 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

To start with 40-0 has not happened anywhere yet. Will it ever happen? I’d say don’t ever say never, some day a very special team somewhere and most likely in a down NCAA field year will be the first. I don’t think this will be the year. Joe B is no dummy but, I’m going to wait for his comments after he has seen this team on the practice floor. I do think all the pieces are there, the question is will they fit together. I’m so excited to get the season started I can’t stand myself.

11. UKgrad'13
    1:14 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Usually I don’t pay attention to stuff like this but when it comes from a guy like Hall, you definitely have to take it into consideration. I’m not quite ready to label this as the best UK team ever, but you simply can’t deny that all of the pieces are in place.

12. raccoon
    1:16 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

There is a big difference between hyping a team of freshmen (no matter how highly rated) coming in after a trip to the NIT and hyping a team coming off of trip to the finals after beating four of the best teams in the country, basically only losing two guys and adding a bunch of new good players. Sure, I’m as cautiously optimistic as the next person after the way we struggled this past Nov.-Feb., but lets at least acknowledge that we have much more of a solid frame of reference for the high expectations for next year’s team.

13. FurdTurgason
    1:27 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Just remember some of the great teams that didn’t win it all and that will temper expectations. 83 Houston, which dunked Louisville into submission in the Final Four but couldn’t hit free throws in the final. 85 Georgetown, which shot over 50 percent and still lost in the final to a team it had beaten twice already. 91 Vegas, which played around with a Duke team it had beaten by 30 the year before and got burned. 99 Duke. The list goes on and on.

• Gap Tooth Danny
      2:22 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Agree, FT, the random element is always there. Hard to tamp down the high expectations, though!

• bigcatstanding
      6:21 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I agree with some of your comment, but get real this team could play a very large team in late game situation. And not give up anything at the free throw line.

Its not like we absolutely have to have Johnson, out there. all of those teams you mentioned, had weaknesses, and were exposed. If this team is used correctly, there isn’t any weaknesses at all.

As a matter of fact this team could start five players, and give up absolutely no size, all of which could take the ball to the perimeter and knocked down threes.

The reason I mention that, even the best teams in the nation, would be absolutely stupid to try to zone Kentucky next year.
      UK IN LINE FOR #9 BABY!

14. Jimmy D
    1:28 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Big fan of the site and all its progession over the years…but could you please do a better job of scanning your articles for typos. Especially for words in BOLD. It takes away from credibility and is just annoying when reading your fantastic articles.

15. Joe B. Hall
    2:43 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

NOW THAT’S A WHITAKER BANK SHOT!

16. Luther
    2:56 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Except that the 2 starters are both likely lottery picks…

17. Ky_Tom
    3:16 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Enough of this 40-0 crap, you idiots need to shut the hell up with that crap….The pressure is already so great on this incoming team, lots more than the season that just ended….Why Do you want to add even more….

• steveM
      3:29 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Well said. You’d think after this year that crap talk like that would have been muted once and for all.

18. Tom Blevins
    3:37 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Coach Hall knows a lot about basket, so I respect his opinion. I sure hope he’s right.

19. Tom Blevins
    3:39 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I should have wrote basketball, not just basket. Sorry about that.

20. snarkster
    4:59 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Joe B loves him some aircraft carriers and Cal’s got a fleet next season. I can see Joe being enamored with this group.

21. Chaz
    5:06 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know of the artist behind the Joe B Hall’s statue and can’t acknowledge him/her, but they did capture what a coach does during the game. He sits and watches, looks for weaknesses in the opponent’s game plan, and saves his energy to scream at his best shooter for taking the first shot opportunity and missing it. Not a huge statue fan, but prefer this to John Wooden’s arms crossed “get off my lawn” effigy’s stance.

Glad you’re still around Joe B Hall, you done yourself proud.

22. Blueycat
    5:35 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

LOL at all of the UL trolls. They know another azz whipping is coming.