Jerry Tipton asked John Calipari about the Confederate flag

cal-what

Leave it to Jerry Tipton to spice up a routine summer teleconference. Jerry asked Cal his stance on the display of the Confederate flag and statues of Confederate generals across the South. After a five-second pause, Calipari responded. Here’s their conversation:

Calipari: “Really? Um, obviously it offends a portion of our society, so people are deciding to take them down. That’s how I feel.”

Jerry: “You would support taking them down?”

Calipari: “Sure. They offend, and I would say do it. But, again, does our state use the Confederate flag, Jerry?”

Jerry: “Well, there’s statue of a confederate general at the old courthouse in Lexington and a statue of Jefferson Davis at the capital in Frankfort.”

Calipari: “Wow. [pause] Since I’m not running for public office, I’ll let the powers that be decide those matters. I was thinking about running for President and I was discouraged from that.”

Jerry: “Thank you.”

Yeah…it got a little weird.

UPDATE (11:32 a.m.): Cal just posted this message on social media about the flag…

“Was just asked a question on a basketball conference call about the confederate flag. I don’t want any confusion. I think we should take it down! I don’t think there’s any question it should be taken down, but again, I’m not running for office.”

That’ll make for some entertaining Facebook comments.

21 Comments for Jerry Tipton asked John Calipari about the Confederate flag

1. Brian
    11:10 am June 29, 2015 Permalink

Jerry Tipton is a grade “A”, unaltered, highly-trained doofus.

2. deWildcat
    11:23 am June 29, 2015 Permalink

Does it hurt being a DumbA$$??

3. Xander
    11:38 am June 29, 2015 Permalink

I am embarrassed for Tipton. Good for Cal on how he answered it. Last I checked the university hired him to win ball games, which he is very good at, not make political decisions.

4. Xander
    11:40 am June 29, 2015 Permalink

Whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question needs to meet Jerry Tipton.

5. Smyrna_Cat
    11:54 am June 29, 2015 Permalink

Very sad. Tipton doing his Tipton thing right after Jonathan Miller doing is Miller thing.

6. GroundControlToNumber9
    12:28 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

The cancer of society –> bad people.

They can’t help themselves. They have no self control or respect for others.

Put a bad person into any job and well… in the media. The need to get a story overwhelms their original (the idea of media) intent to serve the people.

This is why good media outlets hire and fire with clear set of standards, respectfulness, and don’t pressure for stories when there aren’t any (just to fill thje daily column).

Let’s weed these people out.

7. LOL
    1:18 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I love it when Cal smacks the Conservatives.

• Melvit
      1:56 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Tipton is the furthest thing from a Conservative. Cal was smacking a [email protected]

• Dee W.
      1:36 am June 30, 2015 Permalink

“I love it when Cal smacks the Conservatives.”

When and where has he done this? Is Tipton supposedly a conservative?

• Tampa satchel
      12:34 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

I believe LOL was referring to Calipari’s support of the removal the Confederate flag, not insinuating that Tipton is a conservative.

8. Mike
    1:54 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Really poor question from Tipton. Anybody with half a brain can conclude that the flag needs to come down. Unfortunately, that stance is still sure to offend a big majority of our ignorant fans…. Tipton knew this.

9. Melvit
    1:57 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I couldn’t care less what Coach Cal feels about the outrage-of-the-week. Like he said, he’s not a politician. The only thing I want to hear from him is about the basketball team.

10. ClutchCargo
    3:03 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

When Cal is forced to make that kind of statement Tipturd wins. He may be a turd, but he’s also a tireless, calculating troll who likes nothing more than to get under certain people’s skin.

11. Jim 1
    4:19 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I respect Cal’s opinion on taking the flag down and have little regard to Tipton’s question that tries to drag Cal into a political controversy that will be of no help in facing the greater problems of our nation. The question is who or what law will take the flag down? Should it be a federal law or a state law? If it is a federal law, will individual property owners be subject to this law? Or if it is a law by each state, will each state enforce it only on state property or on private lands also? What a mess the politicians have created with their political correctness.

12. Wow, you make a post about a controversial subject and expect folks to not comment. If that’s the case, either don’t make the post, or close the comments.