Jemarl Baker will transfer to Arizona

After entering the transfer portal back on April 17, former Kentucky shooting guard Jemarl Baker has announced where he will be playing college basketball moving forward.

Following his visit to Tucson, AZ this past weekend, Baker announced tonight that he would be transferring to Arizona.

“I want to thank the Big Blue Nation for supporting me during my two years at Kentucky,” Baker said in a press release at the time of his decision to enter the transfer portal. “You are truly the best fans in the country and I’ve enjoyed my time here wearing the Blue and White.”

Kentucky head coach John Calipari also wished Baker luck in his future endeavors.

“We haven’t had many players leave us but in all cases we stay in touch and continue to try to help,” Calipari said back on April 17. “In Jemarl’s case, his injury in his first year and even the early part of this year set him back a little bit, but I still believe he’s an impact player who can score and defend. He’s a better defender than people give him credit for, and we knew we could play him this season in any situation because we knew he was always going to defend. I appreciate everything he did for this program. Like any kid that leaves us, I’ll be watching his career from afar. We’ll always be here for him.”

Baker averaged 2.3 points in 9.1 minutes per game in 2018-19, while shooting 31.0% from outside, which ranked fifth on the team.

Best of luck out west, Jemarl.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

12 Comments for Jemarl Baker will transfer to Arizona

1. Cokely53
    9:05 pm May 14, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t realize Baker was that strapped for cash. Hope it’s worth it.

2. KYjellyRoll
    9:32 pm May 14, 2019 Permalink

So he says we are the best fans in the nation…Arizona can’t be better than #2 then.;-)

3. KYFAN4LYFE
    9:41 pm May 14, 2019 Permalink

Wow. I wasn’t mad or surprised at all about him leaving….but this decision just made me realize how lucky we are he left. UK doesn’t need someone with such terrible judgement wearing their jersey.

4. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    10:20 pm May 14, 2019 Permalink

Hope he gets a shot at the NBA before the sanctions fall. Always thought he was a good support player.

5. Once a Wildcat always a Wildcat I guess.

6. Smyrna_Cat
    11:36 pm May 14, 2019 Permalink

Isn’t there a VERY high probability that the NCAA has something to say about the Arizona program?

7. Luether
    1:08 am May 15, 2019 Permalink

My sources say he’ll regret this move…

8. Tom Bombadil
    4:24 am May 15, 2019 Permalink

The guy couldnt miss in practice or playing HORSE with Rex, but couldnt buy a basket in a real game. Sooooooo frustrating. Great decision tho, bcuz Arizona will be on probation soon and most of his teammates will transfer and he will become B.M.O.C. .
    Lol

9. makeitstop
    6:13 am May 15, 2019 Permalink

Isn’t he going to sit for another year or is this a “hardship” exception? How does sitting out completely 2 of 3 years help u in any way? He was rusty this year and actually became a serviceable ballplayer by the year end – with 2 more years he might develop that shot on the court and improve his range and become a top level defender with a hope of finding a niche off the bench in the NBA (I hv my doubts but possible.) So now he goes to a school who’s coach is heavily implicated, whose asst coach was fired and may we’ll never sniff the tourney or TV again. I don’t get it. Literally that seems like the worst choice u could conjure up next to “let’s pull my kids out of college and high school and take them to the Baltics to blow their chance at college.” (But I mean who do THAT?!) It just makes no sense… they can’t still be paying players w the heat around the program now. Weird.

• makeitstop
      6:16 am May 15, 2019 Permalink

Why not go to Cal or Stanford and actually get a valuable degree if proximity is ur goal and obscurity is acceptable? Smh

10. dbake