Jemarl Baker is ready for next season

If there was any speculation suggesting Jemarl Baker wouldn’t return to Kentucky next season (and I don’t think there was), Baker made it clear on Wednesday that he’ll be back for his sophomore campaign.

He tweeted, “One season ends, and a new one begins. Time to get to work for the 2018-19 season #BBN.”

Baker sat out his entire freshman season with a knee injury, so his next minute of game action at UK will be his first. But having been around the program a year, he has a slight advantage on the many newcomers he’ll have to beat out for playing time. As it stands now, that group consists of Keldon Johnson, Immanuel Quickley and Tyler Herro, but could see as many as two more additions in Ashton Hagans and Tyrese Maxey. Then there’s a sophomore Quade Green in the mix, too.

It’s going to be a fight for playing time in 2018-19, and Baker is ready to work for it.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Jemarl Baker is ready for next season

1. Kat4Life
    4:50 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

If all of these guys come, and reclassify I have no idea how we could possibly keep them all happy……and for that matter appropriately deployed. But I will leave that high-quality problem in the capable hands of Cal.

• crazycatfan65
      5:32 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

I can see Cal going to a system like the Warriors, 4 shooters and 1 big.

2. JTHinton
    4:52 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

Good…always said he was an important part of this past team (had he been healthy) and this upcoming team.

3. Not Dan Issel
    5:24 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

Good. Shooters are the equivalent of outstanding vocalists in a bluegrass band. Instrumentalists are a dime a dozen, but good vocalists (and good shooters) are hard to find.

4. J-Dub421
    5:39 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

Great, I can’t wait to see what Baker can do.

5. Bull Filmer
    6:45 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

Jemarlboro man.

6. Blue Jesus
    7:34 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

Did they put a redshirt on him? Cal’s been reluctant to redshirt guys in the past but I don’t see why you wouldn’t.

7. Not Dan Issel
    7:34 pm May 2, 2018 Permalink

Hood had plenty of opportunities to perform. He just didn’t.

8. Robkycats54
    1:14 am May 3, 2018 Permalink

Baker will be the X factor…. one thing u can’t do is keep a guy off the court who can make shots… I’m not worried about playing time we will be blowing teams out. So he will get minutes to show & prove… he might even start if those guys don’t reclassify.

Pg- Quade Green
    Sg- Baker
    Sf- Keldon johnson
    Pf- PJ Washington
    C- E.J MONTGOMERY

That’s a lot of space to run a offense with guys who can definitely shoot. I think PJ is going to work his tail off this summer especially shooting to go with that Dog mentality… As I been saying all off season Good luck beating us next season lol #BBN