Jeff Goodman thinks Marcus Lee should have transferred a year ago

goodman-cal

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman and John Calipari aren’t exactly best friends. In fact, over the past few years, some would describe their relationship as downright glacial. Goodman has earned a reputation for trolling Calipari and Kentucky, which is why Deputy Director of Athletics DeWayne Peevy loves nothing more than putting him up in the rafters when he’s in town. One example why: Goodman’s interview with Marcus Lee a few weeks back. That interview was our first major indication that Lee wants to be in the league this year, not only because media speaking to current players without going through UK is taboo, but because it’s Goodman. Lee might as well have called Rick Pitino for advice in Cal’s eyes.

On today’s Leach Report, Goodman called in to chat with guest hosts TJ Beisner and Bradley McKee about his interview with Lee, and admitted that he thinks Lee should have transferred — either last year or this year.

“What I thought he should have done, guys, honestly — and I guess he can’t — is graduated and been a fifth-year grad transfer and played at Cal or somewhere like that. Gone back home. I said he probably should have transferred a year ago, that’s just the way I felt was the best interest for him and having a chance to be a guy that gets the ball for a program that kind of needs him a little bit more than Kentucky ever needed him and see if he can develop offensively.”

It’s not clear whether Goodman actually gave Lee this advice or not; if so, that is definitely overstepping some boundaries (like we here at KSR are ones to talk about professionalism, I know). Regardless, it’s clear Goodman knows more about the situation than we do, so here are his thoughts on whether Lee will stay in the draft or come back to Kentucky.

“I know he is really torn right now. He’s torn, his mother’s torn, his brother’s torn. So, I don’t know which way it goes right now, but, by him canceling the workouts, it’s not necessarily mean that he’s coming back. It could also mean that he’s okay with some other team that gave him a promise to draft him. Could be at 52, right? Could be anywhere. And he says, ‘I’m done now.’ I don’t know where exactly it is right now, I haven’t talked to anyone in his camp in the last few days.”

Check out Goodman’s full interview below for more stuff on Marques Bolden and the UK/Duke and Cal/Coach K rivalry. He comes on around the 7:30 mark:

11 Comments for Jeff Goodman thinks Marcus Lee should have transferred a year ago

1. DelrayCat
    2:54 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Uh…maybe he is right. In terms of strictly what’s best for Marcus Lee, maybe he should have transferred to a school where he could have been a key offensive guy. Obviously, whether or not he could have actually filled that role remains highly questionable, but you really cannot find fault or malice here in Goodman stating the obvious. Of course, this guy is trolling and he is basically advocating for more of these transfers that are plaguing the college ranks, but in terms of only Marcus Lee’s chance to make it to the NBA, he is likely correct.

• Mc12
      3:23 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

I agree. To think he would develop better offensively elsewhere seems unlikely to me. If I got to practice against KAT, Lyles, Randle, WCS, Dakari, I would imagine that I would naturally become a better offensive player. If it didn’t happen in practice then, it’s not going to magically happen.

2. kentuckyrld
    3:03 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Goodman is a moron.

• runningunnin.454
      3:56 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

He’s not smart enough to be a moron.

• ClutchCargo
      4:21 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

To say Goodman is a moron is an insult to all morons.

3. Big Kat
    3:07 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Goodman’s terrible but I don’t think he’s wrong that Lee would get more minutes elsewhere. I hope he stays with us for the depth and experience but that’s purely selfish.

And him voicing an opinion on the Leach Report doesn’t necessarily mean he whispered unsolicited advice in his ear.

4. UKfansNKY
    3:25 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Goodman is a dumb a$$

5. balowulf
    3:34 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Goodman is completely off base here.

Kentucky actually needed Lee this year, in a bad way. Lee had every opportunity to play major minutes and be the man, but he didn’t come through for us. He couldn’t stay out of foul trouble, was (like Poythress) inconsistent on the glass, and didn’t really contribute anything to the offensive end except to catch and finish the occasional lob.

6. J-Dub421
    3:35 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

“It’s not necessarily mean that he’s coming back.” Fantastic grammar from someone who is a professional journalist.

7. david8577
    3:39 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

I tried to tell Goodman he needed to transfer out of sports and onto QVC channel three years ago. He could have developed into something, and finally gotten the respect of his peers. Sports just isn’t his thing.