Jay Bilas Speaks Words About Kentucky

The Bilastrator is one of my favorites in the announcing game, not only because his Twitter game is on point, but also because he seems to give the most level-headed and unbiased analysis of anyone at the 4-letter network. Bilas took some time off from being “trill” to speak to the Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker about Kentucky’s basketball team this year, their progress, free throw shooting, and among other things how they’ve stacked up to expectations so far.

You can read the entire Q&A here (it’s fairly long) but this quote from Bilas commenting on whether or not people should “recalibrate expectations” for this team I think perfectly sums up my view on the Wildcats’ season and where they are heading from here:

“…So when you look at the cumulative, the better view is let’s look at the last three or four games, because it’s a team that’s going to continue to build and change. So what they’re doing well right now they probably didn’t do well earlier in the year. So looking at their averages doesn’t tell you who they are right now. So I’m not worried about them. By the end of the year, they’re going to be really good — really good — if they keep building like this. Now, I think Arizona is better than they are, but like who can they not — when you line them up with everybody, who can they not beat? Is there anybody out there they can’t beat?…”

Go Cats.

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

7 Comments for Jay Bilas Speaks Words About Kentucky

1. IU Fan #1
    8:25 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

No Mas No Mas!

2. PMachine
    8:34 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I guess 5 mil can change a mans heart. Loserville fans saying chuck strong would never leave. I honestly think even before the Texas move, things are swinging in the cats favor on the gridiron.

Not to mention, I think everyone will be shocked at how our cats will come out of this break playing football.

UK makes the Final 4 this year, easily.

Football cats win 6 games.

I love living in louisville right now after what I’ve went through the last year!

3. Boss
    9:04 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Bilas is the best announcer and analyst out there right now. One of the best ever.

4. Bradley
    9:23 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

I LOVE Bilas. Zona isn’t that good though. Not saying they can’t beat us right this minute, but their (and many others) record is misleading.

5. Bunny
    10:25 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Bilas provides a reasoned and mature perspective on where our Cats are now and where they can go. Good post…

6. Chaz
    2:09 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Enjoyed Bilas’ free throw comment “ON 65 PERCENT ON 40 FREE THROWS BEING MORE POINTS THAN 80 PERCENT OF 20: “Yes, yeah, exactly.”

Brings back memories of Madison’s timeless question on a post game show to Matt. Don’t know the exact wording but went something like “if we had hit our free throws do you think we would have scored more points?”

Yogi Berra and Madison would have some deep conversations. Yogi says “I never blame myself when I’m not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn’t my fault that I’m not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?”

What??

7. ebell55
    6:18 am January 5, 2014 Permalink

Jay is the man!! UGK for Life! To Trill!! Go Cats!!!