Jarred Vanderbilt will not attend the NBA combine

With only days before the start of the NBA combine, Jarred Vanderbilt has withdrawn his name from the list of participants in Chicago.

Vanderbilt announced the news on Tuesday, telling his followers on Twitter, “I’ve decided not to attend the NBA combine. I’m still weighing my options and working my way through the decision process. Appreciate the continued support!”

Make what you will of the news, but my guess is he isn’t quite ready to perform in front of the scouts. If he were to show up in Chicago, he would be expected to undergo testing and answer questions about that injury.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Jarred Vanderbilt will not attend the NBA combine

1. SuperTroy18
    6:19 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

I’m all for Vando coming back and killing it for us, but as a kid, I do want him to get healthy and realize his dream. I feel bad he hasn’t been 100% I hope he can get there. SO much potential.

2. BBNDan7
    6:22 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

No way he goes now right? I mean i hope the best for the kid and hope he does what’s best for him but who drafts someone who’s played like 25 games in 2 years.

3. KYjellyRoll
    6:35 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

If he comes back, and healthy, I’d say he’s a 30 minute per game guy for cal next year

4. jrdh13
    6:39 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

I understand avoiding those injury questions for as long as possible but before a team pays you youre going to need a physical. I thought he would go and atleast show his measureables. I hope this kid gets this decision right and gets healthy.

5. Catuary
    6:42 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

If he can stay healthy, coming back would tremendously help his draft stock. If he stayed in this year’s draft and somehow got drafted near the bottom, the money wouldn’t be guaranteed and he’d likely be in the G-League trying to prove himself. He’s not getting a multimillion dollar contract this year, so what’s the downside to returning to school? He gets injured and misses out on non-guaranteed money he probably wouldn’t have gotten anyway because he would have also injured himself in the G-League? If he had a prayer at a 7-figure guaranteed contract this year, I’d understand not wanting to risk injury and leaving now, but that’s probably not what’s at stake. If he returns and stays healthy, he might be a lottery pick next year.

6. Jiminy Crickets
    7:15 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

Let’s be serious with ourselves, if he has only played 20 games in 2 years, and after months of resting he still can’t participate, the odds he can play a full college season next year is unlikely. Throw in the secret service around his injuries and it’s begging to be concerning he may not much future in basketball. I hope I’m wrong, but this situation has been as weird as I can remember.

• unbridled
      11:53 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

I love VANDO and I completely agree. What exactly have his injuries been? Does anyone know for certain the extent?

• Christians 4 Trump
      10:35 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

what happens behind closed doors isnt no ones business,,, Thats for jared and his family to discuss and deal with

7. shelby
    7:23 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

If he plays a full season for UK next season, he’s a lottery pick. But, won’t he be likely to again miss a bunch of games due to upcoming surgery? And btw, why hasn’t the surgery been done yet?

• N-UR-i
      6:24 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

What surgery?

8. KYFAN4LYFE
    7:39 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

If he’s not coming back to school, he needs to try playing overseas until the 2019 draft. It would be insane, this late in the game, to stay in this draft class, with no combine and no real chance at the 1st round.

9. CoachCat
    8:21 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

This has actually bothered me for a while. Why lie about a ankle sprain. It’s not like the truth won’t come out.

10. Underdog
    10:45 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

If he plays one healthy season at UK, he’s EASILY a top 5 pick in next year’s draft. Maybe as high as #2.

If he’s healthy, he leads us to #9.

Talent plus grit = college MVP

What makes him special is his grit.

• callitlikeiseeit
      11:50 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

and you base this fabulous prediction on what? Top 2 pick based on what. He has done nothing at this level to show that kind of ability and we actually played better after he went out, will agree it was vs weak opponents though.

• BBNDan7
      7:59 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

For the first time ever, i actually agree with callit

• chrisg18
      8:31 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Easily top 5? Maybe #2? Haha What in the heck are you basing that on? He is good, but let’s not get carried away here. He has shown no ability to score, not even on a WCS level. In today’s game guys who can’t score at all don’t get drafted that high. And while he is a good player, he is not some all world talent. Pump the brakes homey.

• Christians 4 Trump
      10:32 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

under dog,,, that may be the most logical thing Ive ever saw posted on this sight

11. BBNBRIAN
    10:45 pm May 15, 2018 Permalink

He will come back, sit out the first part of the season to fully heal from this injury. He will get a half season under his belt and go top 20 next year. He stands out when he is on the court and he has a huge upside, he just needs to stay healthy.

12. kjd
    12:01 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I believe it was Drew let it slip a while back on KSR that JV had structural issues with his feet. If true, he had to show he can play a whole season if he wants a chance to be drafted. I have my doubts he makes a whole season.

13. N-UR-i
    6:26 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

The “cover up” in his injury / injuries makes me think we wont play for UK or NBA

14. chrisg18
    8:27 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

This has got to be a huge red flag to NBA teams. Can’t imagine anyone taking a chance on him now.

15. riandri
    8:40 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

If a future in basketball is not possible, I hope JV gets his free education at UK. One thing for sure, Coach Cal and UK will NOT turn their back on this young man. Both want JV to excel in life, if it’s basketball or other (ie. Ines Kantar). Can dUKe say that…