Jarred Vanderbilt thinks UK is “starting to get it”

It’s hard to believe a team with four consecutive losses is a team that is really starting to get it, but that’s what Jarred Vanderbilt sees in his Kentucky Wildcats.

Vanderbilt met with the media prior to Friday’s practice and he told reporters, “We’re just still being positive. I feel like we’re still making strides, so I feel like we’re in a good spot right now. Once we get it all together and get clicking, we’ll be a really good team.”

“People are starting to get it,” he explained. “People are starting to find their roles and find the ways they can impact the team. Even defensively I feel like we’re getting better; offensively, I feel like we’re progressing and trying to get there. So I feel like we’ve made strides even though we’ve lost these games in a row.”

When asked what he sees in his own progression, Vanderbilt replied, “Me personally, I feel like I’m starting to find my role a little bit. Basically, just trying to do everything — not even worried about offense — just trying to do the little stuff to help the team get better.”

Make what you will of Vanderbilt’s comments about Kentucky improving in four losses, but we can all agree it’s refreshing to hear the players have a positive attitude during this rough skid. It would be easy for a team to be down on themselves in a time like this, but it sounds like Vanderbilt and his teammates are still confident this thing will get turned around.

Better late than never, right?

Article written by Drew Franklin

30 Comments for Jarred Vanderbilt thinks UK is “starting to get it”

1. original slappy
    3:15 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

HA

2. Duff86
    3:20 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

I’d like to see him bring the ball up the floor more. He has the best vision of anyone on the team and highest basketball IQ.

• Bull Filmer
      6:07 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

I recall him recently on the opposite end in rebound mode and jetting down court – dribbling – and while guarded and in traffic making one of the best stealth bounce passes passes in the paint that I’ve witnessed in many moons. It was a truly a WOW moment for me in re this kid. Where’s that been? Kid has huge potential.

3. BonnieTayshaunBilly
    3:25 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know. This team seems kind of…oblivious. They play…detached? Nonchalant? Indifferent? I am not a troll. I love my Cats, but this team is missing something. Vanderbilt’s statements seem to be lacking some acknowledgement of reality. The cold hard truths. These five stars are in the clouds, even when their play should bring them crashing back to Earth. Where you at, Diallo? Please come back next year. You need it.

• callitlikeiseeit
      4:45 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Agree with everything except the part about Diallo coming back next year! Hope that bum hits the road. He’s flat out awful at basketball

• runningunnin.454
      7:12 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

So, callit…if you didn’t excel at Div I basketball, does that make you a bum? Think before you comment…nothing good can come from calling these kids deprecatory names.

• callitlikeiseeit
      9:02 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

that comment above was not me, I just got home from work and got on KSR. How can they allow others to post under another users name.

4. kydrummer
    3:30 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

If this kid finds his,shot, he’s a double double guy. He’s probably our best rebounder.

• Bobbum Man
      3:32 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

He’s by far and away our best rebounder, not even close… the guy will grab 10 rebounds in 10-15 minutes while 7’0 Richards grabs 3-4 in almost 30 minutes

• Bill Selfs Hair Piece
      5:55 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget Knox. I think he actually leads the team in rebounds.

5. luke_emberton
    3:36 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

starting to get close to the NIT? yeah I was thinking the same thing

• Booby Petrino
      3:55 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

poor Eeyore, everything is so negative. Bless your heart.

• BradCalthegoat
      4:16 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Ayy Booby stfu

• henderblue
      4:29 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Bless your heart (hang in there Booby)

• Booby Petrino
      5:45 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Thanks hender. Bless your heart too, bradcal. Here for ya, bud.

• Bull Filmer
      6:17 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

@BradCalthegoat: You do know that GOAT = GREATEST OF ALL TIME…….right?

1. Either you truly have an IQ of a GOAT. Or…
      2. You have a ‘little brother’ ‘boy crush’ on Brad. Or…
      3. You are full ‘blown’ – out of the closet – with a ‘lil bro’ MAN CRUSH on CAL (whom you’ve labeled ‘THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME).

6. Mc12
    3:36 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

In the rare instance he’s not the one grabbing a rebound while he’s in, he should be the outlet. He seems to be the only one that can pass in transition and it’s nice to see someone use a bounce pass from time-to-time too. I’d like to see him on the court 30+minutes along with Green, Knox, and SGA.

7. BluemanGreen
    3:44 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Jarred needs to be in the game as much as possible. Find him at the free throw line on offense and let him drive or dish to the open man or run pick n rolls with he and Shai. More guys get good looks when Jarred is in. Just gotta stick em

• Parker_UKFanNC
      5:44 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

He actually had the worst +/- of any Kentucky player against Auburn. Worse than Diallo. He kept leaving 3 point shooters open and got beat on the dribble multiple times. He is a great rebounder and passer but defensive consistency and focus are glaring issues. Probably why he doesn’t play more often.

8. BluemanGreen
    3:45 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Also let him run the point a few times per game or based on matchups. Could create nightmares for other team & mismatches for days

9. maximumscott
    3:46 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Im telling you I dont know why Ppl doubt Cal. He has a nearly 90% success rate with teams going to at least the Elite 8 no matter what they were doing in February. Also, if we have this year be not what we had hoped, learn to enjoy it. This wont happen for a long time again. And next year we will be good.

• RealCatsFan
      4:14 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Love the optimism. I’ve been pizzed after the losses, but 2014 taught me to never give up on a team. If we win, then I am going to be happy, if we lose, I will be mad for a while but life goes on. There are much bigger things in life to worry about. Hopefully these kids will see the light and get things rolling.

• ukkatzfan
      4:24 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

I am still believing in number 9. To add to it, this is not a normal year for other teams. We can win this thing.

10. Jiminy Crickets
    4:01 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

If Vanderbilt could find his shot, and he was known as a scorer in HS, his entire game would explode. Same may be said for all of them, but so far they look like they throw the ball at the rim instead of shooting

11. secrick
    4:01 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

I believe he is right. Played good 35 mins at number 10 Auburn,so fix a few TO and watch out. GO CATS

• RealCatsFan
      4:15 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

They need to figure out how to close out these games. Just give maximum effort for those last 10 minutes, and I think they can find success.

12. UKBlue1
    4:57 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Tea he needs to worry about his Offense because when he’s on the floor for most part we’re playing 4 on 5. He can rebound & pass like crazy, but seriously he needs to learn how to shoot & score points. You score points we win you don’t score points we get the position we’re in now.

• Underdog
      6:05 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

No he doesn’t need to worry about his offense.

When the Chicago Bulls were winning those consecutive championships, did Dennis Rodman need to worry about offense?

You’re telling me you wouldn’t take a Dennis Rodman on this team?

And yes, I’m likening Jarred to Dennis. He can give us 8-10 rebounds a game, along with 1.5 steals, 2 assists, and 5 points, and great defense. He brings the intangibles. He brings the fight. He brings the energy. He’ll get a game-winning or game-clinching rebound or 50-50 ball. That value cannot be overstated. People who don’t know basketball don’t understand this point.

Besides, he’s probably not going to adjust his offensive game to the college defenders he’s seeing. It takes time. But I do believe he can get a couple layups or dunks each game. And he’ll probably get into double digits a couple times before the season is over, but anything over 5 points a game will be gravy.

No, he doesn’t need to worry in the least bit about his offensive game. He likely won’t adjust to the speed of the game anyway on offense, so why worry about it? We don’t NEED him to score. We need him to just pass the ball and play defense and rebound and bring the tenacity. Be a leader for us, Jarred.

• BigBlueNationDude
      9:12 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

What did I just read?

13. Jimi40
    5:37 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Hey im all for it, but let win Saturday first, then we will see.