Jarred Vanderbilt Update: “We’re leaving it up to him”

The Jarred Vanderbilt question came up during Kenny Payne’s press conference today, and though Payne’s answer was thorough, we did not learn anything new.

We’re leaving it up to him,” Payne said, reiterating what John Calipari has said many times already.

“First of all, I think when you talk about a kid coming off an injury and getting healthy, there is a mental thing there that he has to get over. ” Payne added, when asked to elaborate. “It’s been a long time since he’s played basketball. He’s going to have some aches and pains. He has to be able to practice and get through those aches and pains, and feel comfortable. He’s getting to that point. I don’t know if he’s there yet. Coach Cal doesn’t know if he’s there yet. But I do know he’s getting to the point where he is feeling more comfortable. Hopefully it’s soon.”

Payne also said, “It’s wrong for adults to force a kid to do anything when they don’t feel like they’re ready yet. Coach Cal is never going to do that to a kid. That’s not what we do here.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Jarred Vanderbilt Update: “We’re leaving it up to him”

1. gwhittle
    12:19 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

What Vanderbilt and the idiots advising him to sit don’t understand is, this is only going to hurt his NBA status. What team wants a guy who 1 they haven’t seen play against real competition, and 2 doesn’t care about his team or teammates enough to fight with them when he is 100% capable? I don’t blame Vanderbilt or hold it against him, I blame his parents, friends, and advisors who are telling him not to play.

• T-wah
      12:36 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

This is kind of a short-sighted response. Unless you know the kid personally or are a UK basketball insider, how do you know he’s 100% healthy? Also, how do you know his parents, friends, and advisors are telling him not to play? How do you know he doesn’t care about his team/teammates? Maybe it’s just all JV and a fear of reinjuring himself. Maybe we should cut the kid some slack and give our coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on this one. He’ll be back when he knows he’s ready to be back. I’m ready to get JV back on the court with this team as much as anybody, but when people try to act like they know what is going on with a situation without really having ANY knowledge of it…well, that’s just not fair to the kid or the team.

• Skeps
      1:27 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Wow t-wah I guess he might be ready to play because Calipari said he was ready to play.

• T-wah
      1:42 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

😂 I get what you’re saying, but when Cal says JV is ready to play, he’s referring to his physical health. I think Cal even acknowledges that the only thing holding JV back is his “mental health.” Like everyone else (including Cal), I’m ready for JV to lace them up and get on the court. There just appears to be much more going on behind the scenes. I just don’t like people throwing out their speculation as if its authority. I hate when people do that to me and it bothers me when I see it being done to others. I look forward to getting JV back as soon as possible. Go, Cats!

• crazycatfan65
      1:37 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Cal said he was physically ready but not mentally.

• Skeps
      1:40 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Part of developing a player is getting him ready mentally.

• 3 fan
      4:18 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

18 year old kids need to get mentally ready to play a sport they love. Wonder how many 18 yr old soldiers want that excuse

• Bobbum Man
      4:40 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Well seeing as soldiers know what they’re signing up for it wouldn’t be much of an excuse really…. if ur not ready mentally then don’t sign up. Since ur commenting “I wonder if 18 year old soldiers can use that as an excuse” on multiple comments I’m assuming there’s something ur wanting to have said here so why don’t you just get it off ur chest?

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      6:15 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

3 fan does that mean we should all do things we aren’t “mentally ready” for because some soldiers are forced to? Maybe take a swing through the VA and see how being forced to do so works out for a large percentage of soldiers. PTSD, alcohol and drug addiction, families destroyed, etc. I mean is your position seriously that because many soldiers’ well being is put at risk on a regular basis that JV should be willing to put his career at risk? That’s asinine, tough guy bs.

• slangterm
      6:51 am January 16, 2018 Permalink

Stop, just stop it. Face palm

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      12:43 pm January 16, 2018 Permalink

slangterm I’m not sure if that was directed at me or not but I was attempting to point out the absurdity of his original comparison. Really?! Soldiers to basketball players? Because those two things are obviously alike. One puts his/her life on the line to protect our country while the other laces them up to entertain adoring fans. Fans like the ones who, while knowing nothing about JV’s situation, imply he’s a big vajayjay and a poor teammate. A kid who isn’t mentally ready plays tentatively. A kid who plays tentatively is at a higher risk for further injury and poor play. Both of which are sure to help his case with NBA scouts. Nothing like a grown ass man trying to manipulate a teenager because he can’t stand the thought of watching another loss to Tennessee. “Because some 18 year old might have 3/5 of his body blown off by an IED the least you can do is risk million and millions of dollars so I can see my favorite team win a couple more games while sitting on the couch.” Who’s being selfish again?

2. kenny
    12:34 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

It’s never been about Cal. It’s been JV all along.

3. BlueHeaven
    1:12 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

I for one could care less at this point whether or not JV play this year or ever. Let’s get a player from the state of Kentucky next year who is willing to play with two broken arms and legs just to live their dream of playing in Rupp.

• BBNDan7
      2:02 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Yeah let’s get some guys who are nowhere near as good so that way they can go in and lose by 20. Good idea

• wyatts1
      5:36 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

💓 goes a long way, not anything to do with JV but I know what you mean. When you get a player with heart you already know what your gonna get, and that’s blood, sweat, and tears. BBNdan it takes both to have a great team in regards to talent and 💓, but I think it’s easier to teach a guy that has 💓 the game, but not sure if you can teach talent how to have 💓, it’s something you either have or you don’t. Proved by the unforgettables players with heart can be just as good if not better.

4. JusSayin
    1:30 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

You all are overreacting. He wants to get in game shape doesn’t go out there and hurt himself again. You know like Derrick Rose, Brandon Roy and recently Isaiah Thomas. Coming back too early jus the absolute worst thing you can do. I’m sure he wants to play.

I’m betting he makes his debut at home against Florida. Or in garbage time against South Carolina if we are up by enough.

5. blackmilk23
    1:34 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Y’all the same experts from last year that said Hami Diallo was never going to play for UK and was just here for a semester of free coaching and practice.

• 3 fan
      4:19 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Can 18 yr old soldiers use that excuse also?

• Bobbum Man
      4:38 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

What excuse? That the soldiers are there for a free semester of coaching and practice? Probably not no…..

6. crazycatfan65
    1:39 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Jared will play when he feels like he is ready. Adults shouldn’t be go quick to pass judgement on a kid. This is his and his families future you are talking about. Remember he missed a lot of his high school games because of the same injury.

7. Ben27
    1:44 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Ask the coaches, if there is a cut off point where he will not play this year if he goes past? I would think the closer to March, the less the possibility that he would play this year. Just a guess though!

8. ClutchCargo
    1:49 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

We have some highly paid and well-qualified professionals whose job it is to run the basketball team, so I’ll trust them to do their job. I’m sure they will be checking the KSR comment section for advice sometime today.

• T-wah
      3:33 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Bingo! 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼 😂

9. roachey45011
    3:02 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

We are seeing the remake of another Ham ! This dude is weak as f ! I mean if I am physically ready to lace them up, then I’m going to at least give it a shot and play a few mins. Last year what was the excuse of why we couldn’t play ham for ? Was he In the same boat and just using KY as a crutch for a spot In the nba ? I just feel like this group just doesn’t care about the history or family of being a wildcat. Just worried about their stock in the nba that’s all !

10. ukwildcat2323
    3:29 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

The ultimate insult to Knox LMAO. Vanderbilt is guarding him to toughen him up. OMG that oughta light a fire under his ass lol.

• Bobbum Man
      4:42 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

Uhhh, wat?

11. nagnuggts
    5:20 pm January 15, 2018 Permalink

players 1st program…. Cal might need to rethink his bread and butter, because it hasn’t really been working to his advantage the last couple years. he’s lost a lot of big time recruits to that other blue blue school “PUKE”and to some crappy hometown schools. the same will happen on jan 20th when zion picks clemson!!!!! these kids are realizing you can get to the NBA anywhere you go.

12. letsroll76