Jarred Vanderbilt named SEC Freshman of the Week

Congratulations to Jarred Vanderbilt, who was just named SEC Freshman of the Week for his performances in Kentucky’s wins over Arkansas and Missouri.

Vanderbilt averaged a double-double with 11.0 points and 12.0 rebounds, helping spur Kentucky to a three-game winning streak. There’s good rebounding and then there’s what Vanderbilt’s been doing lately. Per UK, Vanderbilt is averaging a rebound per every 2.1 minutes played. His ratio of rebounds per minute is the best single-season mark in school history (minimum 100 minutes played, with minutes statistics available since the 1962-63 season) and his 7.8 rebounds per game is the fourth-best mark in the league. He had a career-high 15 boards vs. Missouri on Saturday.

Vanderbilt’s offense is starting to catch up as well. Last week, he shot 80% from the field, a major improvement over his 34% clip coming into last week. He also had three blocks vs. Missouri. Vanderbilt is the fourth Kentucky freshmen to win the SEC Freshman of the Week award this year, joining Hamidou Diallo, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Kevin Knox.

As he said a couple of times during the Missouri game, “Gimme that sh!t!”.

[mobile_ad]

10 Comments for Jarred Vanderbilt named SEC Freshman of the Week

1. CatfaninGA
    1:02 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

He should be more than freshman of the week. He should be basketball player of the universe based on the stats that secsports.com listed. According to them he is 6-foot-91, 214-pound….that’s about 13-foot-7….DANG!!!!!!!!

2. secrick
    1:05 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

Am i the only one that said this guy can’t shoot a lick and was kind of down on him. Man i am so stupid . Just shut up and watch the game as my Wife has said many times.

3. IAmTheDanger
    1:22 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

JV was awesome!! Just an FYI, UK moved up to #23 and we are the only 9 loss team in the top 25 for whatever that means.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      1:53 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

I think looking at what you said it definitely is a great thing! Biggest upside in the country from start to now and we finally have a roster thats healthy and in shape. They finally have an actualy identity and are peaking at the right time. There is not one team in the country that can say after last week, we have our best basketball player finally ready to contribute at 100% in Vanderbilt. Michael Porter yes, but hes not ready as we saw last week. Plus with the way big blue nation travels, we should be playing home games during the SEC and NCAA tournaments, barring no west coast region.

4. A_Blue_Wildcat
    3:43 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

I’m praying he comes back. He’s the most energetic, hardest playing guy I’ve seen in a long time. Imagine once he starts to get into an offensive rhythm and finds a consistent role, dude will be dominant.

• Mathlete
      4:00 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

I wouldn’t count on it, the NBA scouts have to be drooling over his motor and rebounding abilities. They’ll patch up his shooting and he’ll be sensational at the next level

• I’m afraid Mathlete is probably right. I’ve said this before, but I don’t hold out hope EVER that any player is coming back after Bledsoe, Orton, and Brandon Knight left after 1 year. Orton especially no more than he did, but he had the NBA body I guess. With Knight it was partly because he was such a brilliant student, I thought he’d want to get closer to having a degree and come back and try to win it all.

5. BIGWALLIN
    4:08 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

PJ Washington coined that phrase and I love seeing others use it too