James Young warns the 2014-15 Cats about 40-0 talk

@BlairTMiller

James Young is in Lexington for John Calipari’s ProCamp this morning and he took a break from beating kids in Knockout to chat with the local media. He kept his answers short and sweet, as he always does, but Jerry Tipton has some interesting stuff from Young about handling lofty expectations at UK.

Young said he would tell this team to drown out the undefeated hype: “Don’t listen to it. We kind of listened to it last year and it kind of got to us,” he said. “We had an up-and-down season. Leave the media stuff alone and stay focused.”

“It was just so big for everybody; it was just everywhere,” he added.

Speaking of, did you see where Hooter’s Casino in Las Vegas has UK at 50/1 to go undefeated?

@BlairTMiller

@BlairTMiller

I’m holding out for better odds.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for James Young warns the 2014-15 Cats about 40-0 talk

1. BigBlue
    11:01 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

The main outlet fomenting the 40-0 talk last year was this site. Please shut up about it. It is stupid and distracts the players and makes the BBN look like a bunch of idiots. You bet on it…congrats…you are an idiot…now stop talking about 40-0.

• stevem
      11:04 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

bump

• M
      11:18 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

A lot of it was also national media bringing it up based on Calipari’s answer to a simple question. I think only a small % of UK fans bought into it, and they are generally the loudest.

On that Note, the 2012 was extremely close, and although it’s obviously extremely difficult to do, it will happen at some point in the future. I’m not saying it will be UK. I’m not saying it will happen this year. I do think it will happen though.

Something similar to this: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/preview2013/story/_/id/9909666/kentucky-forces-college-basketball-again-consider-undefeated-debate

• Thanks Big Blue
      12:50 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

Thank you! They are the ones publishing the stupid ticket. Where do most Ky fans get info? Well in my case, (and most of the people i know) it all comes from this site. This is the best site to see what our boys are doing and when they continue to plant the seed that this is a possibility it becomes a reality. Let’s just enjoy the ride and gloat if they do it. Take note KSR the best way to operate a business is to under promise and and over achieve. Let’s leave the 40-0 conversation until we are 39-0 in the national championship. Do’t feed the trolls KSR.

2. Laughing
    11:35 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Kudos on linking Tipton’s twiiter

3. raccoon
    12:00 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

If you took the Kentucky ML for $100 starting at the beginning of the season and doubled down each game next year you would end up with about $750,000 – that would be if Kentucky were -300 in every game. This is the dumbest bet you could make. It should be 500-1 even as a silly prop bet.

• Biglaw Dawgin'
      4:14 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

Agreed. 500:1 is the same minimum I said in a previous post. If I’m going to throw away $100, I better get a lottery-type return on a bet like that.

4. Rambo
    12:10 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

Got my ticket! Wooo hooo! Come on 40-0, Daddy needs a new pair of golf shoes!

5. Jake
    12:47 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

This is a serious question, Drew, and I’ll keep checking the comments for a response, but do you purposefully try to make people hate you? That’s not a rhetorical question or me trying to punk you or anything, but I seriously do want to know why you go out of your way to post things that make UK fans look bad, be it 40-0 talk (you and this site are what perpetuates it), SCW or any other embarrassment, or just your overall fratty douche persona. I honestly can’t tell if you do it on purpose or are honest to god oblivious

• M
      1:15 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

I think he’s simply making light of the 40-0 talk. I don’t believe KSR perpetuated it anymore than the national media. Calipari answered a question saying he’d like to coach an undefeated team (which he almost did a couple of years ago), and the media (locally, and nationally raised the debate). I can find a lot of national outlets that talked about UK going 40-0.

The only difference is that some UK fans visit this site more than those allowing themselves to get caught up in the chatter. Most logical people can think for themselves, which is why I believe only a small % bought into the hype. However, these are the loudest people. Every fan base has irrational fans. Ours has a lot of arrogant fans, but we also have a huge fan base so percentage wise it may not be out of the ordinary. Most other fan bases already hate Kentucky so this just adds a little fuel to the fire. They have their perception of Kentucky fans, and nothing is going to change that for them. Some people like to judge other’s before they judge themself. People hate Kentucky and this leads to clicks. I wonder how many hits ESPN, and the Associated Press got for bringing this up last season. I’d like to know how many of the people commenting were not UK fans vs. how many defended 40-0.

Drew is clearly making fun of the hooplah that talks of 40-0 created, and the reaction it created from both sides of the table.

• bluristhurr
      2:33 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

Drews the funniest writer for this site but I can correlate you not liking Drew as a writer as with Robbin Williams being a comedian, I never have thought him as a funny man except when he dressed like my grandma

• NotDrewFranklin
      4:11 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

Thank you for continuing to check this site for my reply. By doing so, you give us hits, and that’s what we desire. I don’t care about your opinion, but I do care about making more money so I can buy more Taco Bell. Keep refreshing your screen!

6. UKBlue1!
    1:18 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

AZ has the best starting five returning. UK top to bottom should be the best.