Jamal Murray’s announcement will be on TSN, not ESPNU

Sonny Bairos, the Canadian Hoops connoisseur, is back with another Jamal Murray update. Bairos was the reporter who broke the news that Jamal Murray will announce his decision Tuesday at 6 p.m. on ESPNU, but late last night, Bairos tweeted that the announcement will take place on Canadian sports channel TSN, not ESPNU.

This doesn’t make me feel any better. The announcement being on ESPNU was one of the few comforting things about his decision. And now we probably won’t even be able to see it? Ugh.

18 Comments for Jamal Murray’s announcement will be on TSN, not ESPNU

1. UKALLDAY
    11:18 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

HE’S GOING TO OREGON. I’m worried about the 2016 class, I mean Coach Cal has MISSED on his last 7 targets, flat-out got beat by other schools. I understand losing out on a kid to Duke, Kansas, or a UCLA. But losing to Oregon and Cal for blue chips? I mean Oregon has done NOTHING in basketball recently or historically and Cal has Jason Kidd. On Thursday our program will have 4 of the first 14 NBA picks, not to mention a bunch of young NBA talent. There is something going on here with Coach Cal, that is being used as serious ammo for other coaches. It may not be known publicly. It’s like World Wide works for Coach K now, Duke is getting who they want. Kentucky has ALWAYS gotten the Lion’s share of talent in recruiting (Sans the Gillespie era). There has to be more to this awful late signing period.

• nybrasky
      3:42 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

I’m pretty concerned too. Next year’s roster is almost like a Tubby or BCG roster with only 1, maybe 2, HS AA’s on it. Oh, wait…

2. CatsBy80
    11:22 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I believe this definitely points to Murray to Oregon, which really sucks. Is that damn platoon system really the underlying reason that Cal has lost so many guys in this class? It just seems that Cal has really missed out on a lot guys this year and that is WAY out of character. I’m not worried about the team next year, but it sure would be nice to have an extra shooter or 2 sprinkled in.

Maybe this guy will shock us tomorrow and pick the cats. It would probably be in his best interest for his future, in my opinion.

• J-Dub421
      12:19 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

Let’s not panic over early commitments in the 2016 class, kids decomit and change their minds all the time. I think momentum will shift back to UK after the NBA draft. UK players in the NBA have done very well recently and I think the group getting drafted this year will continue that. This will help in the future.

• cracka
      12:32 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

that’s a great point, we have a ton of 2016 offers out there and i wonder if anything will happen after the uk commercial that is the nba draft on thursday

3. binarysolo
    11:29 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I dunno, you could also look at this how Sonny was wrong about ESPNU — so he could be wrong about Oregon.

Regarding UK missing out on recruits, this has been said before, but it could be because we lost two key recruiters in Coach O and Slice in recent years. The last elite recruit (Briscoe) came aboard just before Slice left, and then we started whiffing on everybody.

4. catman83
    11:58 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Yeah this dude ain’t comin to UK. Whatever people are telling these kids it’s working cause just saw where a 2016 guard committed to Michigan State! WTF? The hits keep comin.

5. Big Lar
    11:59 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

R u all serious. U sound like babies. So cal missed a few recruits. It’s going to happen. Stop crying and support your coach and team. I think the guy has had as bout as good of a run as u can ask for. Yea I would have like to have won another title but come on people. The 2nd or 3rd ranked class isn’t bad. Spoiled

6. cracka
    12:02 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

i’ll say something that may not be popular, but i’d rather keep platooning … i’d rather have 10-11 really good players ranked between 15-75 and have the majority of them play multiple years even if we miss out on a few of the top 10 guys … we’d still get a few guys every now and then ranked up there that just want to play at uk

• Ukbradstith
      3:02 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

So basically you want tubby smith back. No thanks, he’s fine, but I’ll take final fours. At best you are ul if you use that system, and that’s fine, but UK should shoot higher.

7. Taz
    2:06 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

I could be wrong, but imo the main reason some guys aren’t picking UK is they do not like playing with I. Brisco. In the All-Star game in New York, in the 2nd half about everytime he came down the court the crowd stood up just to watch him go one on one, and he didn’t disappoint plus he has that NY swag that some players do not like. To me he is already better than John Wall at this point. This is just my opinion- could be wrong

8. Taz
    2:09 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

…….and if you noticed, no one has signed with UK after he committed except the Mulder kid from JC- just saying

• J-Dub421
      3:30 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

Briscoe isn’t even on campus yet, and you’re already blaming him for stuff????

• BigAbes4UK
      3:56 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

That is a very interesting point. One I have not thought of. Something is going on to miss on ALL these kids. I mean the platoon excuse can only carry this so far. We are missing on EVERYONE right now. Something is amiss…and this Briscoe theory may not be a bad one. I mean it’s got to be something like that anyways- there just ain’t no damn way Cal is missing on that many guys.

And good lord – no one is blaming the kid or speaking negative of him in anyway. It may just be highly coincidental, but somethings causing this and it it certainly makes you go through and think of all the possibilities.

9. Taz
    3:53 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

Hahaha- J-Dub as you can tell I’m a Brisco fan, Tyler Ulis is my boy but I do not see how in the world Cal can take the ball out of Briscos hands, that’s how cold I think Brisco is- its just my opinion, why some of the guys are picking other schools. Why else wouldn’t you want to come to UK? They platoon last year and going to get 6-7 players drafted, and be more healthy because of only playing half of the games this year- just my thoughts

• J-Dub421
      5:17 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

I think we’ll end up running a two guard (or maybe 3) system with Ulis and Briscoe, similar to what we did with Wall and Bledsoe. I like Briscoe’s moxie (and I like Ulis for the same reason). I think they’ll play well together, and will be good with Charles Matthews as well. I like the toughness of all three.

Here are the reasons I think we’ve missed on some players in this class:
      1. A few stayed “home” to be close to their families. No problem there.
      2. A few can’t handle the spotlight. That’s fine, Kentucky isn’t for everyone.
      3. A few want to be “THE GUY” and take 30 shots per game. Kentucky is not for them because Coach Cal won’t tolerate this.

• UKALLDAY
      5:17 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

Settle down with all this Briscoe talk. I think you had the nerve to say he’s better than John Wall without having even played a game at this level let alone accomplish what J.Wall has in the NBA. He’s really good we all know, but were not taking the ball out of Tylers hands, I’m sorry but he’s really good too and will be a lot better with returning experience and the motivational edge of finally having his team. Briscoe/Tyler Ulis will be the best back court in the national hands down, but Tyler will start at the 1, he’s the best PG in the country.

10. Taz
    7:27 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

Whoa Whoa UK All Day, I never said that Brisco is better than Wall, I’d be a fool to say that. I said at this point-meaning entering his freshman year- I love love Tyler Ulis, but Brisco is 6’5 215 and can do anything TU can do. They both play on my squad so I’m good. I do agree about that UK is not for everyone, pressure from fans 365 days a year some kids just like staying out of the spotlight