jamalmurray-announcement

Jamal Murray just wrapped up an appearance on Kentucky Sports Radio and broke some major news. When Matt asked him which players he knew on UK’s roster, Murray said Tai Wynyard may join the team in December.

“I know Skal from playing in the Hoop Summit together. Tai, he’ll be coming in December I think. But I’ve also played against Briscoe a lot at the Hoop Summit and Peach Jam, so I kind of have a feeling of what his game is like.”

There have been rumblings that Wynyard may reclassify to 2015, but this is the most concrete statement we’ve heard so far. Come on down and join the party, woodchopper!

UPDATE: Here’s the audio in case you missed it…

19 Comments for Jamal Murray says Tai Wynyard may join the team in December (updated with audio)

1. asdf
    11:05 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Technically, Jamal Murray said that HE THINKS Tai Wynyard will join the team in December. That qualifier is pretty important to the proper context of his statement, I think…

2. Smyrna_Cat
    11:17 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Thank you asdf. “I think” is not all that definitive, is it? Bloggers these days and their headlines …

• Smyrna_Cat
      11:25 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Even though Tyler’s headline reads “Jamal Murray says Tai Wynyard MAY join the team in December”, I’m still going to complain. That’s all I offer.

• Ha!
      11:47 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

You two may want to focus on the writing in bold.

It’ll help to prevent you from sticking your foot in your mouth.

3. Possibly
    11:43 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I may be mistaken, but what I thought I heard was, “We’ll have Tai in December.” It’s possible she just wanted people to know he made a statement regarding Tai joining, but it isn’t written in stone. They always post the full interview later. Listen and determine for yourselves how to take it. He sounded like he was sure, imo.

4. Smyrna_Cat
    11:55 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

I am being plagiarized. Is that you Mr. Miller?

5. Smyrna_Cat
    11:59 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

The REAL Smyrna_Cat again … I think the think in Ms. Tyler’s blurb that is confusing is toward the end where she says “… this is the most concrete statement we’ve heard so far.”

Please don’t plagiarize me, Mr. Miller, or FOMM.

6. Smyrna_Cat
    11:59 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

thing … sorry

7. Dana
    12:25 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

If Tai Wynyard can reclassify, and join the team for the spring semester, will we have gone from one-and-done to one-half-and-done?

• Dustin
      1:38 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

I went through this rule with Thon Maker. Without looking it up again, I believe this is how it works. First off, he could get in as a 19 year old and an international player. He is only 17 but would meet the second requirement currently but he’d have to wait until he’s 19 while playing overseas, which I don’t believe he’s ever wanted to consider that option.

Assuming he does enroll in college, at least one full NBA season has to elapse since he graduated high school. I have no idea when he is graduating high school but since he can’t (or at least it hasn’t been stated as an option) enroll at the beginning of the 2015 season, you assume he is going to qualify sometime in the Fall, in the middle of an NBA season. He would then have to wait until the next NBA draft in 2017. Notice there that I said he just has to wait for the draft. He could theoretically twiddle his thumbs that next year until the draft if he wanted but I assume he would play somewhere, hopefully UK assuming things work out here. But he doesn’t HAVE TO be playing basketball like he does under the international player guidelines.

So, long story short, either he waits overseas until he is 19 or enrolls in college and he’ll be a one-and-a-half (or half-and-a-one) and done player.

8. Willis Fan
    12:32 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

Poor Derek Willis. He should just transfer now before the season starts so he can have two years left somewhere else where he has a chance to play. Cal will never play him and will always recruit over him. Sad really.

• Honestly
      12:53 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

What do you want Cal to do? Willis has the work ethic of Darnell Dodson with the skill set of a tall Jon Hood. Could he actually become a viable threat to score if he worked for it? Absolutely. However, he’s done nothing in two years to indicate that he will actually put in the time necessary to compete at an elite level.

• CatsBy80
      1:13 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

willis fan… you’re exactly what is wrong with our society. everybody just wants to give somebody something like they’re entitled to it… it’s called hard work. put in the work and the results will come. if he deserves to play, he will play. Cal will play our best players and those who give us the best chance to win….

• inside info2
      1:43 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

CatsBy80, sadly your statement is not entirely true. Cal will play the players that benefit recruiting. Ulis should’ve been starting last season. But that would’ve hurt Harrison’s draft stock even more. So he started Harrison over Ulis. Cal will keep less heralded recruits on the bench to keep the recruiting machine going.

• Dustin
      1:43 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

This would be sad if Cal had EVER made ANYONE the common NCAA coach promise of “if you come here I can guarantee you X minutes.” Cal has actually made the exact opposite of that promise to even his blue chip recruits. If you come here you will earn your mins or you will sit. That’s part of the whole “this place isn’t for everybody” line he likes to use. Its on Willis to work or transfer.

• J-Dub421
      1:50 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

Willis himself admitted (towards the end of last season) that he hasn’t been putting in the necessary work, and that that’s on him and he will have to make some changes. So what exactly do you want Willis Fan? If Derek puts in the work, he will play. It’s that simple.

• J-Dub421
      1:55 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

Inside, you are wrong. Andrew was a big reason we won 38 consecutive games last season and deserved to start. I love Ulis too, but there were times where he got pushed around because of his size.

9. Catsfan101
    3:33 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

How did Matt not jump on that statement and get more info on why he thinks Tai will join the team? He didn’t even seem like heard it at all.

• Dustin
      3:41 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

I think it was probably because he knew that Murray may have actually said something he wasn’t supposed to at that point. When I heard it I immediately thought that Cal might be calling Murray to tell him to watch what he says there. I bet that is something that Cal wants to keep internally until its more of a sure thing.