Jamal Murray has his sights set on the No. 1 spot in the draft

Jamal Murray is in a group of prospects fighting for the No. 3 spot in this summer’s NBA draft, behind the presumed top-two picks in Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. His toughest competition is likely Buddy Hield, as they are considered to be the two best shooters in the entire draft. He also Dragan Bender, the Croatian center, in his way; as well as a few others.

But Murray isn’t sweating any of those guys because he has his eyes set higher than settling for that third pick. Forget all about Hield, Bender, Ellenson, Dunn or anyone else in the top-10 range; Murray wants to go first overall.

I want to be the No. 1 pick,” he told KSR. “I’m not even thinking about them. I’m a big competitor. I want to win in every type of way. Even with my dad, we’ll be walking and I’ll say ‘I’ll beat you to the door’ for no reason.”

When asked if he thinks he should be the No. 1 pick, Murray dodged the question by asking Matt, “Do you think I should be the No. 1 overall pick?”

It’s tough to put him ahead of Simmons and Ingram, but you have to love his attitude.

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Jamal Murray has his sights set on the No. 1 spot in the draft

1. Loserville Hater
    2:33 pm April 21, 2016 Permalink

Simmons will be a cancer for whichever team takes him. He may play on a winning team, but he will never be a winner.

• kvltclassic
      2:35 pm April 21, 2016 Permalink

Well the positive is that the 76ers will probably get him so he won’t even play on a winning team.

• Sarahvah
      2:36 pm April 21, 2016 Permalink

Definitely. Kid has a losing attitude and is a sore loser to boot. I don’t think he’s gonna be a bust but he’s as good as he’ll ever be now.

2. Mathlete
    2:44 pm April 21, 2016 Permalink

Ingram vs Murray… tough call, probably depends on your team’s needs more than anything else. I’d probably take Murray because Kentucky factor.

Simmons vs Murray… no contest. Murray, all day.

3. A_Blue_Wildcat
    4:08 pm April 21, 2016 Permalink

Simmons has the most upside of any player in the draft, but he also has by far the most questionable attitude of any player in the draft. If he can be mentored well and get his head on straight then he will probably be an all-star and potentially a superstar, if not then he’ll probably be something closer to Michael Beasely.

4. donjohnson
    6:57 pm April 21, 2016 Permalink

By far the most upside. He should be first overall pick. Only player that seems to have the talent to be a franchise player. We can’t really judge his attitude by his time at lsu. He was disinterested which can leave a bad taste. That does not mean he won’t come out full force next year. If his head is even remotely on right he is by far the best player in this draft

5. jonthes
    7:59 pm April 21, 2016 Permalink

I have no problem putting him or Tyler over Simmons. Was anyone actually watching him play this year, the last month?