Jackson entering draft process without an agent, his dad told CatsPause.com

No surprise here: Isaiah Jackson will test the NBA waters, as anyone with draft stock as high as his should.

Chris Fisher over at CatsPause.com confirmed the news with Jackson’s father, Wesley Jackson, who told Fisher, “We’re going through the process and the process starts with putting your name in the draft.”

A member of the SEC’s All-Freshman and All-Defensive teams, Jackson is projected to be a lottery pick in the upcoming 2021 NBA Draft. However, he hasn’t hired an agent and isn’t completely set on leaving Kentucky after one season.

“He hasn’t made his mind up go or stay and we haven’t hired an agent,” said the father to CatsPause.com. “We came into this thinking 2-3 years not knowing he would flourish so when people are talking lottery pick, you have to consider it.”

Read more from Fisher’s conversation with Wesley Jackson here. He talked about COVID’s impact on college basketball and how the hard work that comes with being a UK basketball player was exactly as he expected for his son. “It’s everything I thought Kentucky would be,” he said.

As for Jackson’s return, don’t get your hopes up on a sophomore version of Isaiah Jackson. When you’re projected where he is at this stage in the process, it would be nearly impossible to turn down the opportunity to live out the dream.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Jackson entering draft process without an agent, his dad told CatsPause.com

1. mrknowitall1981
    9:07 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

Gone. As he should be.

2. gacat123
    9:14 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

Can’t argue with that thought process

3. millertim
    9:32 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

He’s gone! With most projections being in the 1st round as a top 20 pick, you can’t hardly blame him. If he returns next year, he’s most likely to hurt his draft stock— especially if they don’t see much improvement and quite honestly, he’s got to develop a consistent jump shot to play in the NBA— especially a 3 point shot. Most 4’s and 5’s in the NBA shoot the 3 ball fairly well for the pick and pop offenses. I see him get drafted and spending a majority of time in the G-League ala Nick Richards…

• Megan
      11:00 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

If he has to develop a consistent jump shot to play in the NBA, especially a 3-point shot, your advice is … to enter the NBA draft? That seems counter-intuitive. If I’m getting this right, the thinking is that he can develop the shot he needs while in the G-League. But he can’t develop it in college, for some reason.

I’m sure you know more about this stuff than I do. But it seems to me that making the decision to enter the draft starts a clock. And if Isaiah doesn’t do what he needs to do in a period of, what, two years?, he’s not going to play in the NBA, you say. But if he stays in college another year, he buys himself time, another year to ensure not only that he can play in the NBA, but that he can stay in the NBA, which seems more important. He’d be buying himself a little insurance, if he feels he needs it. It’s such a big decision, you want to increase your chances as much as possible before starting that clock.

You say he risks not improving much if he comes back to college, but doesn’t that same risk apply if he leaves? Then where’s he at? You’ve got him in the G-League not improving much. Is that wise?

I think it’s generally true that players this young are far more likely to improve with more experience and coaching and skills development. Do you agree? So I don’t know where your concern comes from that he could plateau if he returns. You seem to be massaging the factors to support a particular outcome, which is to jump now. And I don’t necessarily disagree. I just don’t understand the rationale.

• Park
      12:16 am March 17, 2021 Permalink

I understand these kids are chasing a longtime dream of playing in the NBA but, I think there is a flaw in their chase. Their rookie contract is fixed; get drafted at position x, get x amount of money. No negotiation. Instead of just trying to get to the NBA, you would think they would be focused on that second contract, the one they can really get paid on.

I know 2-4 million is a lot of money to normal people but, in the sports world, that’s not that much. Especially with the lifestyle and lack of future planning many of them seem to endure. If they’re confident in their abilities, the second contract should be the focus, not where they get drafted.

Or maybe I’m just crazy…

• millertim
      6:39 am March 17, 2021 Permalink

Okay “Megan”, let me explain— he’s at the peak of his NBA potential right now. NBA executives seem to gamble often on the youth and “upside” notion that these guys will develop better and faster in the pros (G-League-emphasizes offensive skills development— one on one ability) than in college– more team ball. If he returns, its not likely his offensive skills develop much more than the potential he has right now— its always a risk but his high value in draft is greater now than next year.

• millertim
      8:19 am March 17, 2021 Permalink

Park— they’re getting paid millions of dollars to develop their NBA game as opposed to playing for free in college. Also that’s a 3 year contract — 3 years to improve and develop at the pro level so that they can get a second contract. Kind of a no-brainer, especially for a young man pursuing his NBA dream.

4. Dr. Tom
    10:30 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

Thanks for the memories Isaiah. If you decide to take the NBA plunge, work hard and you will be the next Dennis Rodman…player not person. Good luck and make the BBN proud!!

5. UKBigBlueForever
    10:55 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

I think he’s honestly the only one that should leave this year.

6. katmandue2you
    11:11 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

To play in the NBA he’s got to develop a consistent jump shot but yet if he returns he’s likely to hurt his draft stock. Is it me or is there something inconsistent in that analogy? Hell I think he could benefit from another year bigtime. He’s an extreme athlete with many flaws in his basketball game. Since I’m pro “the attributes of returning”, I’m of the opinion that he could return be a truly dominant player in the college game next year. Have another year to develop and mature his mind, body and game, and then very likely go in the top 5 of the draft next year. Cause there’s no doubt he’s a rare find athletically.

• katmandue2you
      11:15 pm March 16, 2021 Permalink

But what the hell…let’s metaphorically push his ass out the door

7. CahillsCrossingNT
    5:45 am March 17, 2021 Permalink

He’s gone and should be. Too bad he didn’t play for a winner.

8. wildcatdon
    8:36 am March 17, 2021 Permalink

I am with katmandue. Gracious.

9. zoupman
    1:06 pm March 17, 2021 Permalink

Glad no agent, for he isn’t ready.

10. LuvMyCats56
    2:58 pm March 17, 2021 Permalink

From everything I have seen & heard, he is a projected lottery pick. Don’t know about the G-League thing. Has a lottery (or even a top 20) pick ever ended up in the G-League? This is a real question; not trying to be a smart ass.

• millertim
      4:22 pm March 17, 2021 Permalink

Yes, those that aren’t likely to get much playing time due to poor performance early in the year have been assigned time in the G-League. The G-League has become the NBA’s version of the minor leagues and now they can recruit and sign players out of high school– hence competing with big D-1 programs like UK for top talent. As I stated above, I really think this is ultimately where Jackson is headed unless he really shows out in the summer league. He’ll likely make an NBA roster and then get assigned to the G-League to work on his offensive skill set. But as I stated before, he’ll be paid 1st round money as opposed to playing for free at UK— really a no-brainer to play for pay vs. another year for free (potential injury, limited playing time, little offensive production, etc..)