IU Athletic Director “Optimistic” About Renewing the Rivalry with Kentucky

Since the Kentucky/Indiana regular season series ended in 2012, many fans have hoped the two programs could reach a compromise and renew the series.  Indiana athletic director Fred Glass believes that is possible.

Speaking at an IU fan event, Glass hopes to renew the rivalry between the Hoosiers and the Wildcats within the next five years.  He’s willing to compromise to make it happen.

“I’m optimistic that we’ll get it put back together, primarily because I think it’s a very important series.  I’m willing to compromise on some of the principles that we had set out, in terms of gotta come back to campus and all that.  So I don’t want to negotiate, or put my cards up, lead my chin or whatever the metaphor is, but we’re willing to work with Kentucky to do something that makes sense for them to get the series back on track.  And Archie (Miller) has good relationships with Coach Calipari, so I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to feather that into the schedule in that (five year) time frame.”

The sound of Glass’ words perked up Oscar Combs, the conductor of the “renew the IU/UK series” train. His Tweets sparked a response from DeWayne Peevy, the man in charge of creating the Kentucky basketball schedule.

If you didn’t think it was possible to see the return of the border state rivalry, think again.

See everything Glass had to say here, starting around the six-minute mark.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

15 Comments for IU Athletic Director “Optimistic” About Renewing the Rivalry with Kentucky

1. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    5:12 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

Let’s be honest. Cal has total control of this and no body else.

2. CatManDo
    5:12 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

There’s not a team I love beating more.

3. tfordstyle
    5:18 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

That’s what ya mum said.

4. bosshogg24
    5:30 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

UK doesn’t need to play IU period!

• EdC
      8:47 am June 2, 2017 Permalink

Indiana fans are THE worst. They live for December, build shrines, rush the floor for those games. They gave Sweet Sixteen rings for their 2012 appearance.

The program has only been relevant during a single coach’s tenure.

UK doesn’t owe any other school anything and certainly doesn’t owe IU, Dick Vitale and Oscar Combs an opportunity for IU to try to seem relevant again.

Get your program into respectability where there’s some benefit for UK then maybe let’s talk. For now UK should stick to regularly playing teams that are relevant in the 21st century, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Mich State, etc.

5. sincitycat
    5:42 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

CatManDo, What you said!

6. kentuckyrld
    6:04 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

I hope the series is never renewed. However, if it has to be played the only games I would agree to would be in Rupp arena. I would play at no other location.

7. runningunnin.454
    6:19 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

We don’t need them, they need us so……no.

8. ukkatzfan
    6:48 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

One of five to Dec bball games ? Not. IU wont be that good.

9. Wilfred Smith
    7:45 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

IU, Butler, UL and UK in Indy. The Indiana and Kentucky schools rotate opponents every other year. Set up series for two years at a time to ensure that Butler/IU don’t hurt the SOS.

10. RICKSVD
    7:52 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

Hard to be a top five game if IU is not even top twenty. They will never be relevant again.

11. 2thepoint
    8:26 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

Never is a long time, but I agree with the sentiment. I believe the new coach at iu will be better than crean. I hope they will be even worse than before and hope UK nevr agrees to play them again. Of course, if they don’t and iu is have a good year we know the ncaa goons will schedule them in the big dance. After the way the school and fans treated UK they should never be on the UK schedule. As stated we owe them nothing. I remember Joe B. saying UK had nothing to gain by playing lil’ bro’ and he was 100% correct. The same applies to iu.

12. 2thepoint
    8:30 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

Sorry, should have proof read the post. Never is misspelled in line 3 and ‘have’ should have been written ‘having’ in line 3 as well.

• catsarerunnin
      9:12 pm June 1, 2017 Permalink

Yous sho nuff no yers spelling an suchh. Mus gots a edgecation…

13. satcheluk
    8:09 am June 3, 2017 Permalink

I couldn’t care less about playing IU. Next.