It’s 4 a.m. and Makur Maker just committed to Howard

Hours after announcing he will make his decision next week, 2020 star Makur Maker announced his commitment to Howard University. He chose the HBCU over Kentucky, UCLA and Memphis in hopes of starting an HBCU movement, he says.

View this post on Instagram

Committed Howard U. Let’s get it!! ???

A post shared by Makur Maker (@makurmaker1) on

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for It’s 4 a.m. and Makur Maker just committed to Howard

1. Cletis75
    5:26 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

That’s one way to get attention!

2. dgtuk
    5:31 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Drew…why are you up at 409 am…?

• J. Did
      8:56 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

preparing for 420.

3. CahillsCrossingNT
    5:37 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Very fitting that Kenny Blakeney, Howard’s coach, played in college at Duke. One way or another, Duke has Calipari’s number whether it’s Krzyzewski or one of his former players.

• KYJelly
      12:02 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

And that number has dollar signs in front of it

4. ukjaybrat
    6:05 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm. A private University. Just like Duke. Who can pay a player directly and the world will never ever know about it. And folks still say cal cheats?

5. Headhurts
    6:08 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

You know I’ve been hearing Howard U is the best way to the NBA, good luck kid & thanks for not picking the Cats, we don’t need the headache.

6. UKCatAttack
    6:51 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Is he still thinking about going g to the NBA? If he does he’ll be public enemy numero uno.

7. Wilfred Smith
    7:29 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Not to devolve this, but…

Wasn’t the opportunity to play at non-HBCU schools a great stride for the civil rights of African-American players?

Starting a movement back to them would be regressive, wouldn’t it?

And – has he pulled out of the draft?

• tybuki
      9:53 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Regressive for who?

• JusSayin
      10:00 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

They fought for the right to have a choice. And he did.

Also white people can go to HBCUs too. Look at K-State

8. dkcr96
    7:33 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

I’ve made allot of bad decisions myself at 4am.

• sa_hunt
      8:26 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

That’s funny, lol.

• UKFanSC
      8:31 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Good one

9. UKFanSC
    8:00 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Wow.

10. KaliforniaKat
    8:02 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m proud of the kid if he sticks and doesn’t opt out for the NBA… that’s the type of leadership we need from black youth in this country… Best of luck to you Makur… I’ll be rooting for you for sure… BLM!

• 4everUKBlue
      9:24 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

The bagman comes early in D.C.

• KaliforniaKat
      9:48 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Some people don’t need to feed their egos with a huge fan base… if he’s good he will be playing in front of a lot of fans in the very near future… at least we all hope!
      I’m still trying to figure why I don’t know anything about basketball because I supported a teenager with a monumental decision… It also doesn’t mean that I’m out rioting and looting… some of you have the mental and emotional capacity of a three year old… have fun living out the rest of your life in the “Trying Threes”

• KaliforniaKat
      11:14 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Waiting for your next punch line 4Ever… I’m guessing it’ll go a little something like this…

“I know you are, but what am I”

I read your comments and can see that you’re very intelligent… at the same time you come across as a really smart dumb person…

• 4everUKBlue
      12:28 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

California you just come across as deeply indoctrinated, nicest thing I can say about you.

• TonyMontana
      2:24 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

KSR needs to start banning these racists. BLM

• friendsofcoal
      2:44 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Who’s being a racist?

11. 1stkatman
    8:22 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

LOL! Oh well. So someone got to him and furthered their narrative. Likely, BLM. No problem! I always thought that if he came to UK he’d pull out before playing his first minute. He can be a big fish in a small pond for a minute at Howard.. Best of luck to him. I really don’t know anything about Howard’s sports programs, but its a good school for academics. This may be a silver lining for the kid. I sincerely hope so.

12. BrassowFan
    8:34 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

It’s his choice and I wish him well, that said, I have a feeling that he’ll be wondering “what if” for decades to come.

13. J. Did
    9:05 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Good for him. Kid’s got some skills; nevertheless, he is a project and likely going to graduate into a profession (as opposed to THE National…Association). Howard has good connections and is a school where he must have felt uber-comfortable. No pressure; can only exceed expectations; could be a school legend. If the NBA does not work out, he will otherwise exceed professionally. Good choice.

14. UKLugo
    9:16 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

He just went and stole Mikey William’s sunshine. MW had made it on the major news shows including ESPN, and now Maker wants that pub. Silly boy.

15. JusSayin
    9:28 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Just because he didn’t go to Kentucky doesn’t mean he wont make it to the NBA. Players get drafted from smaller schools and countries every year.

The lack of exposure and competition might even help him. He’s going somewhere where he can dominate. And if he gets Mikey Williams or another 5 star recruit to follow they will likely at minimum win their conference (MEAC) and get some exposure against top their talent in the first round of the NCAA.

• JusSayin
      9:59 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I remember. Because during the height of the NFL protest… they were only the 1st most watched sports league in the country. You know as opposed… 1st where they usually are. ~sarcasm off~

You weren’t going to watch Howard basketball in first place. He knows that. Leave the kid alone.

• TPACAT
      10:09 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

You may be surprised, JusSayin, by the looks of what the NBA and NFL have planned. People are getting sick if this $hit…

• TPACAT
      10:19 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

And, it’s starting to creep into College Football now – see Oklahoma State and Memphis…

16. catsfan1995
    10:17 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

Good for Makur! That’s awesome! Also… why are you up at 4 AM? Lmao ?

17. kentuckybackupplayer
    10:45 am July 3, 2020 Permalink

this is a win for UK, the dude wanted to be a 7 foot 2 guard and we just don’t have a need for a player like him. he would have been a problem. on the upside he will be one of the best players in the NIT.

18. VirginiaCat
    12:26 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

I applaud the young man for picking a school that emphasizes high academic standards over basketball.

19. VirginiaCat
    1:30 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

That was sarcasm 4ever

20. big cat
    4:42 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

Stop censoring Drew. You better be careful with the 1st amendment stuff.

UK is not for everyone. Next!

I also echo that ALL LIVES MATTER! Time for politics to get out of the way and let decency prevail…..if that’s even possible.

21. friendsofcoal
    6:17 pm July 3, 2020 Permalink

People need to stop letting the left wing media create racism. They are USING people to influence the election and it’s really sad. Some have figured it out and more people are each and every day. I’m not saying there isn’t any racist people out there but it’s came a long way in the past 30-40 years. We can’t dwell on the past folks…it’s time for everyone to move on. We’re all the SAME…one body with one heart. I’m not any better than you and you’re no better than me.