Isaiah Briscoe will return to Kentucky

Briscoe1 (1)

BREAKING NEWS! Isaiah Briscoe will return to UK for his sophomore season. Briscoe announced the news via Twitter minutes ago:

Evan Daniels of Scout.com confirms the news, which is huge for Kentucky. Briscoe averaged 9.6 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 3.1 assists per game last season, and his return makes UK’s backcourt one of the best in the country. Briscoe will bring a veteran presence and some much-needed defensive intensity to next year’s squad, which can now feature a three-guard lineup of De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, and Briscoe.

Great, great news. You’re next, Marcus.

32 Comments for Isaiah Briscoe will return to Kentucky

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:50 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I’m so happy I could cry!

2. Big Kat
    11:51 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Love his game.

3. @GoCayts
    11:52 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

So awesome; finally some good UK news!

4. AllBlueAllDay
    11:54 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

Awesome news… Game on beatches

• AllBlueAllDay
      11:58 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

This is especially exciting considering all his dad’s comments about how Isaiah got his confidence back.. If that’s true teams better watch out.

5. FBI Informant
    11:54 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

40-0

6. nybrasky
    11:55 am May 25, 2016 Permalink

I think Briscoe utilized the process perfectly. He got experience in workouts, got feedback and now knows exactly what NBA teams want in prospects and what he needs to work on. I think it can only benefit him and UK. Hopefully he is now more motivated than ever, and primed for a big year.

Welcome back, Zay!

7. RexRox
    12:06 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Great news! Love his game and his toughness. Different type place from Ulis but could bring a similar type leadership to a young team next season. If he can up his FT percentage, he can be lethal. ‘Cause he can certainly get to the line.

8. rickwhitetx
    12:06 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Welcome back Isaiah. Best of luck for the upcoming season.

9. RexRox
    12:07 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

*different type player from Ulis

10. Love his toughness! Work on those jumpers and FT’s young man!

11. sincitycat
    12:08 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Rocky Mountain “high”. Great news!!!

12. Catphn3
    12:09 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Not trying to be a downer (this is great news) but there was a post at 10:00 am this morning crushing Malik Newmann for coming back to school instead of going to the NBA and implying that had he come to UK he would be going to the draft. Well, Briscoe (who had a similar stat line to Newmann last year) has made the right call to come back to school as well and it’s a completely different tone… We can’t have it both ways…

• Big Kat
      12:13 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

The difference is Briscoe prepared himself well for either scenario, whereas Newman was so confident that he’d be selected that he neglected his academic responsibilities. Briscoe’s decisions have been measured and mature, Newman’s have not.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:16 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

We can because Kentucky has 2 of 4 freshmen projected in the lottery. And unlike Monk, who has troubling things like academic issues and selfishness connected to him, Briscoe is the perfect teammate and, if anything, not selfish enough. He will be the glue that holds next years team together.

• sp
      12:18 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I think the spirit behind that earlier post was more along the lines that if Newman came to UK he wouldn’t have been surrounded by such a terrible team that his stock would plummet the way it did at Miss St. Especially true if he is going to transfer. Kids need to take advantage of opportunities put in front of them, not throw them away to try make a statement. Newman thought he was going to be a one man superstar and it has blown up in his face. I don’t think Briscoe was as sure of a one and done prospect as Newman was either.

• Bobbum Man
      12:59 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Ummmm, what? Nowhere in the article did it “crush him” for returning to school instead of going to the NBA. The article simply said he withdrew his name and will probably transfer. I guess you needed to exaggerate a bit to fit ur comment but I think you read a completely different article

13. ukcamel
    12:13 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

His high school FT% was 70. If he can just get back to that, and take one step forward with the rest of his game, he can be a mid-1st rounder. His on-ball, perimeter defense is coveted in today’s 3pt-NBA.

14. Kevin C
    12:16 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I really hope Marcus comes back as well. Not for selfish reasons, but because he’s a good guy, and I don’t want to see him end his career as a laughing stock.

• Luether
      2:22 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Marcus is NOT coming back…

• Kevin C
      6:46 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Thanks, Captain Obvious. I was in this comment section posting when KSR posted the announcement ; my post time was 12:16, and KSR posted the announcement at 12:15.

15. Realme
    12:18 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

This is very encouraging. Easier to feel confident about next year, and I think as was already mentioned, the experience he just gained will be good for the team as well as him.

16. Sentient Third Eye
    12:27 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I know Briscoe is a different kind of guard than Ulis, but he does possess a similar kind of toughness. Is he the floor leader next year, even if the ball is not in his hands all the time?

• Kevin C
      12:32 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Briscoe will be most important for his emotion and leadership, as well as his tough defense. He has that Tony Allen kind of toughness and intensity.

17. J-Dub421
    12:32 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I am super excited to have Briscoe back, we were going to be pretty thin at guard without him. His experience, toughness, and work ethic can only help the incoming freshmen transition more smoothly as well. His shooting percentage was slowly improving last season, and I expect more of the same.

18. Patches
    12:48 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Thanks Isaiah for coming back you will be a real important part of next years team.

19. blitzedanddazed
    12:55 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Bang Biscuit !

20. Aar
    2:07 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I am thrilled Briscoe is returning! It seems to me like BBN as a whole thinks of Fax as the presumptive 2016-17 UK starting PG and Briscoe as the presumptive starting SG/SF. I look at it slightly differently. I presume Briscoe is the starting PG and Fox will have to fight for minutes with the two nearly platooning at “the 1” as we get into conference play. Bluntly, I suspect that Briscoe’s playing out of position at the 3, deferring to Ulis & Murray, was the genesis of his lost shot last season – both from the field and at the line. His pre-Draft workouts and moving him back to the 1 for 2016-17 should return his confidence and shot. Sharing minutes at PG, both Briscoe and Fox could potentially complete the season as NBA Draft lottery picks. Adding in Malik Monk and SENIOR Dominique Hawkins, I really like the looks of our back court next season.

Not to get too far ahead of myself, I also like Willis/Killeya-Jones at the 3, Adebayo/Gabriel at the 4 and Humphries/Wynyard at the 5. We all know Coach Call will start the best 5 athletes as demonstrated in practice (AKA WAR) and reduce the rotation to 6, 7 or 8 players by conference play. However, I suspect these will be the practice match ups. I really hope all 10 players remain healthy this season!