Isaiah Briscoe will enter the draft and sign with an agent

champ-briscoe

In a move most of us saw coming, Isaiah Briscoe just announced he is declaring for the draft and will sign with an agent. Briscoe tested the waters last year, but decided to return to Kentucky for his sophomore year. Now, he’s ready to take the leap for good.

“BBN, thank you to the greatest fans in the entire world,” Briscoe said in a release from UK. “Thank you to Coach Cal, Coach KP (Kenny Payne), Coach Tony (Barbee), Coach JJ (Joel Justus), Coach Robes (John Robic), and (strength and conditioning coach) Rob (Harris). You helped me develop my game on the court and helped me grow as a man off the court.

“Thank you to my brothers. We’ve been through so much together and accomplished even more. Thank you to my family and friends. Without your support, I wouldn’t be where I am now.

It was a dream to play in front of BBN and an honor to wear K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y across my chest. I’m ready for the next step and can’t wait to begin the next journey.”

“Isaiah is a winner,” John Calipari said. “Physically and mentally he’s a pit bull with skills with the ball. We averaged nearly 30 wins a season over the last two years and Isaiah played a big part in all of them. Isaiah defends, he rebounds and he creates shots for others. I am so proud of his improvement over his time here and am looking forward to seeing his continued growth at the next level.”

Over two years, Brsicoe started 69 of the 70 games he played in and averaged 10.9 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.7 assists. As of now, he’s not included in any of the major mock drafts, but after he tested the waters last year, he told reporters several teams promised to take him if he had come out.

Best of luck to Briscoe as he takes this next step.

69 Comments for Isaiah Briscoe will enter the draft and sign with an agent

1. Peas and Carrots
    10:45 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Good luck

2. Booby Petrino
    10:48 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Best of luck.

3. Ukgrad2006
    11:04 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Yikes

4. JoshI1985
    11:10 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Good Luck to him. He’ll be late late 2nd rounder if not drafted at all. He has no outside shot (which he should stayed to develop even more), he’s WAY to inconsistent, he has more charges called on him then anything else because he doesn’t know when to stop and pull up for a floater or jumper. Bad decision, another Daniel Orton I’m seeing with him. But still best of luck to him.

• T-wah
      11:43 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Worse than Daniel Orten. I don’t think Briscoe will even get drafted, which will make it even tougher for him. Orten at least got drafted and signed a contract.

5. BCO
    11:12 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Makes zero sense. Youre not on ANY of the NBA mock drafts in either round. Youre betting your future on what someone told you last year? Things Im sure they say to dozens of players who never get their shot? And youre signing with an agent in the strongest PG draft in recent memory?

Not a smart move. I wish Briscoe nothing but the best but man, I have a feeling hes going to regret this down the road. Why not at least leave the door open to come back and work on your degree and possibly work your way into one of the first round of next year which will be a MUCH weaker draft, especially guard wise.

Listen Im not bashing the one and done or anything….but stuff like this kinda irks me. Other schools have players that are projected lottery picks coming back to play another year and we have kids that arent even projected in either round that are wanting to leave early. Gets old. If Isiahs family needs the money I guess in a way you cant blame him but man….this stings. I think he could be one of the players that could have helped us big time next year.

Oh well. Best of luck to you, kid.

• syrin23
      1:22 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I sharw your senriment. I don’t see him ever making the NBA. He is short by NBA standards with a below average vertical, average passer, lacks NBA quickness by a wide margin, plays decent defense but his lack of quickenss will be exploited at the next level, rebounds well, but none drafts a guard for rebounding, and has NO shooting ability at all. Doron Lamb couldn’t make it. I just don’t see it and have to be wondering where he is getting his advice.

• Luether
      5:56 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Agree. Should stay in school. Marcus Teague…

6. 8xchamp
    11:14 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Well if they work on NBA commission. Gonna be a broke agent

7. CATandMONKEY
    11:17 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

This is probably the only decision for Briscoe. He isn’t improving his stock if he returns. It would be better for our team if he came back but he will get paid to play somewhere next season and will make make more than most people will ever see, barring injury.

• Peas and Carrots
      11:48 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

• Peas and Carrots
      11:51 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Not really, he could make a decent amount if he plays over seas but that’s basically throwing in the towel on making it to the NBA. Dleaguers sacrifice money in hopes they get called up. They only make about 30k/year.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:55 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

He can easily play overseas. Easily.

• Peas and Carrots
      12:02 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I agree, if it’s a financial situation for him and his family playing overseas is the best option. If his goal of the NBA I’m not sure it’s the best decision. Either way I’m glad he chose UK and wish him nothing but the best.

• JusSayin
      2:26 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Yea I mean does it really make sense for him to spend two more years here playing SF?

He might not make it to the NBA but if he wants to squeeze to more years out of his playing days I’m not mad at him.

College will be here. And he will make a great coach too.

8. jrdh13
    11:18 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

shesshhh, never thought hed sign an agent. This is crazy! like someone said other teams have guys projected much higher come back. you cant tell me cal is pushing him out..

• CatsfaninFL
      11:25 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Go away… seriously. Zay has had one foot out the door the moment he stepped foot on campus. It’s his dream, and after two seasons there is not a lot left for him to prove. He’ll be playing professionally somewhere and most likely making a ton more money than any of us here.

It sucks to see guys we root for leave, but we gotta stop with this attitude of “I can’t believe they’re leaving”. A) it’s not YOUR decision b) they get WAY more feedback than you ever will (and more than the mock drafters) C) It is detrimental to Cal’s position to actually push good players out the door… we do realize this, right? It literally makes his job harder. C’mon folks.

9. The Professor
    11:21 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

This is the 2nd UK player that I felt made a mistake turning pro. The first was Dakari. They both lack the elite athleticism necessary to play at that level. At least Dakari has size going for him. How many NBA guards can you name that shoot the ball as poorly as Briscoe? Is there one skill that he has that you can say is at an NBA level? I will be shocked if he ever makes an NBA roster.

• CatsfaninFL
      11:29 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Defensive nose, team oriented, and knows how to finish in traffic. There are 3… shooting is big, but not everything. He’ll need to up it to not be a liability from deep, but he’ll be fine. May go NBA, may not…either way he’ll be just fine playing professionally somewhere else.

• JVice
      1:50 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

only the 2nd? You must be a new UK fan then. Without even trying, I can think of Randolph Morris and Daniel Orton. CatsfaninFla – Briscoe is horrible at finishing in traffic. He’s excellent at getting to he rim and drawing fouls, but he cannot finish.

10. Lip Man 1
    11:34 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Wish him the best but a guy who can’t shoot consistently is going to have a hard time finding a job in the NBA.

11. Sasquatch
    11:43 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

Man, I get tired of listening to people complain about a player leaving early. Guess what, even if you don’t think he’ll wind up in the NBA, maybe playing overseas and making money is better than playing for free at UK. Do you really think that 2 more years as a part time basketball player, while a student at UK, will make him a NBA player? He will have a lifetime scholarship at UK should he choose to come back after his playing days are done (or even during it like some others). If he wants to squeeze 2 more paid years out of it, good for him and I wish him nothing but the best!

• Luether
      6:02 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I get tired of listening to people endorsing decisions made by kids who have no clue what they’re doing…

• dballrb
      12:06 am April 7, 2017 Permalink

It’s called gettin’ paid..

12. Rise
    11:46 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

He may or may not get drafted but he will make a team. His game translates more to the NBA than college. The court is more spaced out in the NBA which suits him well. Good luck to the young man.

• BCO
      11:52 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

But he cant shoot, so his man sags and shrinks the court. The court is spaced in thr NBA because the NBA is full of shooters OR ultra-quick athletic freaks. Hes neither.

Dont get me wrong, Im rooting for Briscoe. But I cant see him playing significant minutes in the NBA. Overseas possibly.

• RC
      12:01 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

You must not watch much NBA bball. Briscoe can’t shoot, which means he doesn’t create space. He plays below the rim and can’t jump, which means he’ll have a hard time finishing in traffic. He didn’t play the PNR well whatsoever, which is the primary role of a PG in The Association. His handle is suspect for a PG at that level as well.

Name one current NBA contributor with Briscoe’s game. I can’t. Can you?

Briscoe can make a good living playing overseas for many years. Staying at UK probably doesn’t improve his NBA prospects so if he’s ready to leave then I wish him well.

• BCO
      12:13 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Of course Ive been wrong before. I never thought Jared Sullinger would play a meaningful minute and look.

• RC
      12:43 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

BCO- has Jared Sullinger actually done much? Has the former AA big man from Ohio State- and #21 pick- done much of anything in the NBA? Rotation guy- yes. Impactful career- nope. Celtics finally cut him loose after 4 seasons and he’s currently an available free agent.

And Jared Sullinger was by far more accomplished than Briscoe. He was a 2x AA and Big Ten POY.

13. catsfan27
    11:53 am April 6, 2017 Permalink

It really sucks to see everyone on here bashing the decision. I could see Briscoe becoming what Patrick Beverly is. Beverly has improved his shot throughout his career and Isaiah could do the same. He is a good finisher, and will defend his position. I hope he sticks somewhere just to shut everyone up.

• syrin23
      1:29 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Patrick Beverly has quickness Briscoe can only dream about.

• za
      4:11 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

syrin, Briscoe put on a bunch of weight to play SF. He will shed weight and move even better than he already does.

• syrin23
      4:54 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

How? He is all muscle. He bulked up big time.

14. Booby Petrino
    12:13 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

So many “experts” on here who know what the young man should do with his life. He should ignore his family and coaches and listen to you all. Hopefully he reads this thread. *sarcasm*

15. BUCats
    12:36 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m going to look at this another way: is it telling that these guys are announcing on individual consecutive days as opposed to doing it together like 2012? Maybe I’m reading between the lines too much, but the 16-17 Cats may not have been that close-knit (despite what Dom said). Guys want their individual day rather than celebrate as a group.

• Ukgrad2006
      12:54 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

you hit that one right on the nose buddy

• CatsfaninFL
      1:22 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Or it keeps UK in the news all week despite national title game going on this week…. This has Cal’s fingerprints all over it. Instead of one announcement, it’s hitting news wire everyday that another UK player is going to the league. Recruits notice that… surprised you haven’t.

• BUCats
      5:10 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Wasn’t 2012 Cal’s idea too? Don’t think it matters about the news angle. The season is over and because UK is always the biggest story we are going to be up there no matter what is going on. When Cal sneezes, it’s on ESPN.

16. RC
    12:49 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Let’s be clear- Briscoe can make any decision he wants. That’s his right. I can disagree with it from a basketball perspective as well. That’s also my right as a fan.

I have ZERO problem with kids leaving early. None.

However, not every UK player is going to make it in the NBA and some might actually help UK and themselves by staying.

Anyone can play overseas after staying at UK 4 years. But these kids aren’t leaving early to play overseas. They’re leaving early to make it in the NBA.

If they want to leave and make money then I wish them well. But that doesn’t make it a good basketball decision and it doesn’t help UK win games. Pointing that out makes me a realist. Ignoring it makes you a cheerleader.

• CatsfaninFL
      1:33 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

It doesn’t make us a cheerleader if we think the kid is making the best interest for him and not what some random fan thinks on a board. While, yes, a player can improve in college, they can also get better in the NBA, NBDA and overseas. They also get paid during that time. They also have limited time to get paid so every year not getting paid is less money they could make.

Obviously there is a balance there… you can choose to NOT get paid for the next 2 years and maybe enhance your stock and get paid more in the long run. But you can also not get paid those 2 years and be in the same position you are today with fewer years to make the same money. The point is, there is nothing wrong with choosing to leave, especially if he had teams telling him last year they’d draft him. Again, he gets way more input about his game than we ever will.

• RC
      2:08 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m a fan of the University of Kentucky, not the University of Future NBA Players. My concerns revolve around UK winning championships, not how quickly our players can start earning money playing professionally.

We have to attract the best talent in order to compete for championships, and much of that talent is going to leave the program early because of the economics of basketball. I have resigned myself to that reality.

I have not resigned myself to blindly supporting every players’ decision to leave UK regardless of their situation.

Look at UNC. They just won their 3rd national championship in 12 years because several players decided to stay in Chapel Hill and not gamble on their NBA readiness. Some of them were never going to be 1nD, but many of them could have departed after 2 seasons in much the same way Briscoe is doing (or Doron Lamb, or the Harrisons, etc. etc.).

We’ll mock UNC for their academic scandal and their favorable officiating but the bottom line is that Berry, Jackson, Hicks and Meeks could have all left early to chase their NBA dreams. But they didn’t. And they’re now NCAA Champs and their professional futures are improved because they’re more polished players. Only Jackson is likely to have a long NBA career but are they worse for having stayed?

Briscoe is kid with much to improve before he can stick in the NBA. He’s also the kind of veteran teams need to win championships. We have seen that for ourselves (Darius Miller) and we’ve seen many kids bolt early only to flame out quickly. If we’re not willing to recognize the pros/cons of the current system- and how it affects our program- we’re being foolish.

• CatsfaninFL
      3:17 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Hey I don’t like it either, I just hate that we (as fans with biased interest) think we have a better knowledge than those making the decision. Not to mention they are so young to make a multi-million dollar decision that is ridiculously limited and extremely fleeting.

Secondly, I would argue I’m not sure those UNC players you mentioned are better off because they’re “more polished”. I didn’t see a lot of drastic improvement from some of them over their 4 years (Meeks was once thought to be 1&D). And I certainly don’t see it being that drastically different from years 2 or 3 to this year outside of the fact they can now call themselves champions.

The difference is having to know whether you stick it out for 4 years and maybe limit the amount of time you have to make $$ or whether you leave a few years early because you think you’re ready or because you think you have maxed your collegiate potential and you want to add a few more years of $$ making to your career. In the end it’s their choice.

Lastly, who has really “flamed out” in the Cal era? Teague/Lamb? Young..but he’s still bouncing b/w teams and D League? I mean truly flamed out after leaving early. Think that list could expand but seems like the rest have been at least in the league a few years or are currently making their way through DLeague.

17. CatstopWontstop
    12:57 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Marquis Teague, Dakari Johnson, Daniel Orton, and now Isiah Briscoe.

As others have mentioned, it is his decision and he is welcome to make it, but this is a bad call. As much a I love the #1 recruiting classes, max talent, and excitement that comes with Cal, this is the reason I’ve lost some touch with my passion for UK basketball over the last few years. I want the best for these kids too and Briscoe is no exception, but sometimes you have to tell a kid THIS IS NOT IN YOUR BEST INTEREST!!!

• syrin23
      1:30 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

James Young, Doron Lamb, etc.

• JVice
      1:58 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

ARRRRGHchie?

• CatsfaninFL
      3:19 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I hate it for Dakari… can you imagine how last year could have been better w/ him on the team? Only thing we were missing was toughness from the post…sheesh we would have dominated. I don’t totally blame him… he partially left because everyone thought Skal was the next coming of AD but man that ranks up there with what the 2010 could have been w/ Meeks.

18. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:13 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

He needs two more years. As I posted before, Briscoe is similar to Sindarius Thornwell and he’d be smart to follow Thornwell’s path. Both have similar size, similar PPG their first two years, similar rebounding stats, etc. But Thornwell worked on his jumper and went from a good college player to averaging 20+ppg and 40% 3pt all because of working on his shot. Briscoe’s shot needs two years of work. I hope Briscoe does well, but I have a feeling we won’t be seeing him on the NBA floor any time soon.

19. wiley_70
    1:32 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Some people are just desperate to fail…it seems anyway.

20. wiley_70
    1:34 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

It is however addition by subtraction for the Wildcats.

• Biglaw Dawgin'
      4:51 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Wrong.

21. kyle heavy
    1:36 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Until the NBA imposes an age limit, we will continue to be a revolving door. Bottom line. This is not an NCAA problem, for once. This is an NBA problem.

22. chris43
    2:03 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

He won’t get drafted. He can’t shoot, he’s not tall enough, and his vertical isn’t that great. I know it would be hard coming in as a top freshman expecting to be one and done and watching two freshman classes come and go to the NBA and you’re not even the 60th pick in any mock drafts. But damn Za…did you really hate it at UK that much that basically you’re just leaving because you ARE NOT GETTING DRAFTED nor can I see many teams giving you a shot. I don’t mean this in a bad way but…..good luck! You’ll need it badly bro! Smh

• celf22
      3:45 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

He’s leaving because of idiots like you that talked negatively about him the whole time he was here and then act all salty when he leaves haha. He’s gonna be a good professional player because he’s gonna get to play his natural position which is point guard. Lastly, you’re a moron. Have a good day.

• chris43
      8:09 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I wish there was a way that we could bet a few grand on your statement. I have nothing against Briscoe. There’s a huge difference in hating on someone and having enough sense to see reality. It’s just too damn bad that we can’t make a bet because I’d be willing to bet almost anything that he doesn’t get drafted or if so it’s the very bottom of the second round which means D LEAGUE! He’s going to be a “good” professional player? Hmmmm what do you consider good? Is James Young a good one? He plays in the D league and can’t crack a starting line up! Is that hate? No that’s just the cold hard truth! How about Dakari? I loved him but he’s also D league! There are many other examples as well. There’s a HUGE difference between being a good college player and a good NBA player. Briscoe can’t shoot that well, he plays below the rim, and mostly uses his bulk in a sense bully his way inside. That doesn’t work even in college against long athletic shot blocking team so how in the hell will it work in the NBA?

23. ukbradstith
    3:14 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

He’s never getting drafted, maybe he could sneak in the end of the second round next year, but doubtful. He might as well go and start making money, because every year he stays is costing him a paycheck. Sucks, because we are a title contender with him right out of the gate, without him it’ll take some time. He can still improve without being in school. I’d probably come back just to finish my degree, I’m sure he’s getting close, but that’s something he could still do too I guess.

24. Willis Wolf Tattoo
    3:20 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Fans can’t have it both ways. First you complained about him all season long for his play, now you’re upset at him for pursuing his dream and not sticking around. He always had his ‘Archie’ moments but he was a competitor, loyal to his team and teammates, and tried to improve on the aspects of his game that were needed. Athleticism and talent will take you far in the NBA but so will work ethic. I hope he finds a team that will allow him to improve and wish him nothing but the best.

• CATandMONKEY
      4:09 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I agree with your sentiments. To add regarding Archie moments: one of our most unfairly maligned players has guaranteed money to the tune of over 5 million. I wish my 3 degrees could guarantee me that over the next 20 years.

• Jiminy Crickets
      4:22 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Archie was out of control and at times “uncoachable”, but he had speed, athleticism, and a decent jump shot. He was also drafted in the first round, and got guaranteed money. However, he is now off the cutting block in Phoenix, and working on his 2nd 10 day contract with Brooklyn (however a 2year deal is being talked about). The coach praised his speed and athletic ability, and he is shooting 57% from the field.

These are not likely to be descriptions of Briscoe

25. Jiminy Crickets
    4:14 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

And this is the last time anyone will ever hear the name Isaiah Briscoe. I hate it for him, and defended him all this year, saying Cal was playing him out of position, like WAY out of position. But the truth of the matter is he is barely a “good college player”. The NBA is a shooters league, and a league of elite athletes. By NBA standards he is short, slow, with average handle, cant jump and has one of the worst jump shots in UK history (for a guard). Last year he set a record for UK, as the lowest FT% of any guard in 110 years. This year he shot 28% from 3, which was an improvement from 13% in 2016!!! THIRTEEN percent. He knows the 3pt line is further out in the NBA right?

Getting drafted in 2nd round, and placed in Dleague at least gives you a chance to develop against good players, and teams want you to succeed because they used a draft position on you. When you go undrafted, and Briscoe will go undrafted, your just another guy in a long line wanting to make it. No one has vested interest. There are guys in the DLeague averaging 15-20pts/game that will never hear their name called up, Briscoe will struggle come close to an average that high.

I wish him luck, he’s going to need it

26. az1006
    4:23 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

He may not make it in the NBA, but he will make a handsome living playing professional basketball somewhere. I think a lot of folks put too much stock in his poor outside shooting. The fact is, that’s the EASIEST skill to fix. And if you don’t have class, schoolwork, media obligations, etc, you can only have more time available to work on it.

Does he have the size and quickness to play in the NBA? I dont’ know. Maybe. If Chuck Hayes can be a productive NBA player for almost a decade, then Briscoe could conceivably do it. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, and that’s one of the most important aspects of “making it.”

Even if he doesn’t get drafted and even if he doesn’t make an NBA roster, he’ll be making damn good money somewhere next year and for many years down the road.

• DelrayCat
      7:25 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Word….most accurate post on this entire thread.

27. MadScientist
    4:25 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Thanks Isaiah for all the hard work you gave and for representing the BBN well! I wish you the best of luck in pursuing your goals!

28. 8xchamp
    4:56 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Must still believe he has abilities that fox and monk have

29. UKALLDAY1
    5:54 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Zay is a NBA player. He played out of position 2 years in a row. Last year with Ulis and this year with Fox. He is not a off ball player. He plays better at the one, with the ball. You could argue that UK was just as good without Fox as they are with him. (Don’t get me wrong Fox is a phenomenal talent and I’d rather have him than not) However we didn’t lose any of the games Fox missed and Isaiah was playing the bulk of the point guard minutes. Hopefully next year Cal has a more balanced lineup out there. Fox and Briscoe shouldn’t have been out there together as much as they were.

• DelrayCat
      7:26 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I actually think he is better than either of the Harrison twins.

30. RexRox
    6:26 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

Think sometimes people focus on the ‘measurables’ as well as the obvious physical attributes. With Briscoe, one has to focus more on those attributes that are so easily measured. Things like attitude, toughness, heart and competitiveness. That is where Briscoe stands above the crowd.

• chris43
      10:48 pm April 6, 2017 Permalink

I’d love to see him do well in the NBA but I just can’t see it. No hate intended but there’s a reason that he isn’t in any mock drafts. IF he would have worked out for teams and received feedback from NBA COACHES AND GM he would have been told the exact same thing as last year….go back to school and DEVELOP more. Let me make this clear it does not bother me that he’s leaving that’s his decision and I hope he does well. But I’ve watched enough basketball to know that the NBA isn’t for him! Heck James Young was a better player and drafted in the first round….how’s he doing? NBA D league for multiple years now and can’t even make a team in the NBA.

31. RexRox