Isaiah Briscoe never considered a return

UT-2677

A junior season was never an option for Isaiah Briscoe. When asked on this morning’s KSR show if he ever considered returning for a third year, Briscoe simply and honestly said, “No.”

No, he did not consider coming back once more. The plan from the beginning was to leave and that plan never changed. When he came back after last season, he knew the 2016-17 season was his last, no matter what.

This isn’t much of a surprise, but it’s the first time he has said it publicly.

So there ya go.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Isaiah Briscoe never considered a return

1. RackEmWillie
    11:14 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

So, when/if he doesn’t get drafted, does that change the “never considered a return” thought process?

I mean, from a guaranteed lottery pick guy, I could get that. But, in this situation, I can’t help but feel differently about it.

Is he a hard working, great effort type kid? Sure. But, so are a vast majority of professional athletes. That’s why they’re there.

I wish him the best, and I hope for a long NBA career, but, this just feels….. unsatisfying.

• catdaddyd
      7:30 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

I think Briscoe must have an ear problem, that is throwing off is equilibrium. If he gets that fixed then he probably won’t step out of bounds every other game.

2. Ben27
    11:14 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

He has every right to do what he wants to! However, the NBA will not be in his future. The D-league is possible, but he will never play a game in the NBA. Europe is nice. It is really sad when a four year player is caught up with one and done fever. Two more years and he might have a chance. Love his time at UK. Good Luck.

• blackmilk23
      11:34 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

What’s sad is that we made him to school in the first place. We take for granted that a lot of guys come here and spend 1 or 2 years honing their skills when they very likely would have gone to the NBA out of HS.

Briscoe gave us his all for 2 years. Now he is ready to move to the next part of his life. He know’s he’s not in the mock drafts. He know’s he likely to play in the D-League. That’s his choice.

• BlueGrass
      12:46 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Blackmilk23 nailed it. It’s hard for us to see that it’s the athletes choice to make and that they shouldn’t do what we think is best. The kid decided for himself to move on, it’s his choice, that’s that. He is more aware of his NBA prospects that any of us…

3. cat fan stan
    11:20 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

He might be a lottery pick in the Indonesian draft. No chance at a NBA career.

4. kyrupp8
    11:21 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

Kid played hard and I wish him lots of luck. Love the honesty. Interesting that an honest answer now warrants an article.

5. Lip Man 1
    11:25 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

He never considered another year? That’s too bad…he needed to.

6. ClutchCargo
    11:30 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

I wish him luck, but I can’t imagine how this is a good career move. College isn’t for everyone, basketball player or not. I know I considered dropping out and going a different direction more than once.

7. blackmilk23
    11:31 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

Some people are going to find this hard to believe but a lot of guys just want to make money playing basketball.

If Briscoe come back he plays out of position once again and probably still doesn’t get a guaranteed contract.

If the goal is to make money playing ball it probably make’s sense for him and Humphries to go pro honestly.

8. bbanks81
    11:33 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

I think it’s safe to say Briscoe is not too big on school and everything that goes with being a college athlete, which is completely fine. It took me into my mid thirties before I even scratched a six figure salary, and this kid can do it when he is 21. Best of luck to him, but unfortunately the only time we will get to see him play again again is on a YouTube channel or a highlight real from his overseas team. Best of luck Zaay…..wish you would have stayed another couple years.Who knows, maybe he will make some noise in the D-League and get a 10 day contract with someone?

• JusSayin
      11:38 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

Yea I don’t think people realize how much money players make in Europe. Starting salary is between $65,000 and $100,000 depending on which league you are in and doesn’t include guaranteed endorsements, free housing and a much lower tax bracket.

People use “playing overseas” as a pejorative but if he wants to go pro he can do a lot worse.

• DelrayCat
      1:38 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Yes, but that “salary” comes with free food, travel, hotel rooms, and various other perks not mentioned…and yes…those perks include hot European women. Not a bad life indeed.

• JusSayin
      2:38 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

DelrayCat, Thats my point. I graduated from UK 6 years ago and got a masters… and I’m not making $65K a year.

The people making fun of him for turning pro don’t realize how good a gig it is. You play basketball for half-the year and get housing paid for in addition to guaranteed endorsements and a salary. (Plus low taxes if you land in one of the non-socialist European countries)

I would do that all day.

• catsarerunnin
      3:48 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Non-socialist European countries??? Is there such a thing?

• Luether
      9:49 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Non-socialist European countries??? Is there such a thing?

9. Sentient Third Eye
    12:00 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe is such a great glue guy that I wish he had come back too, but it’s his life and his decision…and don’t count him out so quickly concerning the NBA. I never thought Liggins would hang around as long as he had. And who would have figured Scott Padgett could have a 10-year career? You just never know. If he can do one thing well and find a niche, that might be all it takes.

• blackmilk23
      12:09 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

His only real weakness is shooting. In the games he started at PG for us he was very effective. He improved his FT and 3 shooting by 20% over last off season. He does even half that again you are talking about a great backup PG in the NBA.

10. CatstopWontstop
    1:20 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

We really have to fix the system by which these players progress. As a fan of college basketball, and Kentucky specifically, the one-and-done rule gives the opportunity to see guys like Davis, Monk, Fox, Wall, KAT, etc. play for your team before moving on to be great NBA players, it also amplifies the mistakes some of these players make by leaving too early. Guys like Dakari, Deron, Teague, Orton…get so caught up in making the league at any cost they make the poor decision to leave too soon and never make it. Briscoe will be another in that line.

I’d like to know what the conversations are like between Cal and guys like Isiah who are obviously not NBA ready. I hope, if he really is a “players first” coach, he tells them “I think your best option is to come back and work on x and y. If not, then he is part of the problem. Obviously you can’t make a guy stay, but I hope he is at least trying to push them in the right direction.

• njCat
      1:40 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

The kids Cal recruits have no interest in school. Their sole focus is playing for money as soon as they can, wherever that might be. People who hope to see kids come back are just making themselves crazy.

As long as the NCAA and schools continue to make millions off these kids who only get a free ride to a school they have zero interest in, who can blame them.

• J-Dub421
      1:47 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Dakari and Doron both played two years at Kentucky. If you’re going to complain about one and done players at least use one and done players as examples.

• catsarerunnin
      3:52 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Cal’s track record is really good so I think he has the players best interest at heart. Of course some folks don’t like that very well.

11. dballrb
    1:22 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

If he feels he can get to the nba why not try to chase your dreams..I know people who have masters degrees that cant find work..I suppose he heard that the D-league salary is being raised to about 50k per year for top players.Good enough for and apartment and a used Volvo..

12. jayiron11
    1:54 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Sorry KSR Comment Section. After your, “Skal will never play in the NBA” debacle, you aren’t allowed to comment or speculate on the NBA future if UK underclassmen who have declared for the draft.
    All those KSR Comment Section “Experts” (And by experts I mean fans who are idiots and don’t know poop from apple butter about basketball) were wrong about Poythress, Skaal, Andrew Harrison, etc.
    I’m going to go out on a limited and say Briscoe has a long NBA career. Elite rebounder for a guard, strong defender, elite.with the basketball and getting to the rim.
    People who said Skal would never play and that Briscoe will never play and is making a mistake are that small, toxic portion of BBN. I bet CatsFanStan and Ben27 called John Higgins Roofing company after the UNC game and gave his business cappy reviews on Facebook.

13. rosquirto
    1:59 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Kid hates school. He’s probably about 20. Kids do dumb things sometimes. Its ok. He will be fine

• Luether
      9:51 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

This is a real good example of a dumb thing…

14. Kevin C
    2:19 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, sadly that was obvious from his IDGAF attitude in post-game interviews, that were borderline Marshawn Lynch-esqe.

• blackmilk23
      2:34 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

Why is it every time a guy who isn’t a star decides he wants to leave early or transfer we feel the need to manufacturer character issues? He seemed to care just fine. He played hard every game. Practiced hard. Worked on his jumper. Now he’s leaving.

15. AmazzzingLarry
    4:01 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

From what I hear, the things that keep Briscoe from being drafted are things he can’t really fix, and most of his good attributes are due to effort and high motor, not talent. He does many things well for the college level but not really outstanding at anything outstanding. That being said, he may not have 1st round talent, but he’s good enough to play somewhere (here or overseas) and make some money playing ball. He might just make an NBA roster for a season or two. Then he can return to UK to finish his education. He has been a frustrating player at times, but I appreciate him for playing with emotion and being a glue guy for the team this year.

16. chris43
    7:04 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

He might wanna buy some Rosetta Stone videos to learn foreign languages because that’s where his basketball career will be. I wish him luck. He had his moments where he was great BUT also had just as many if not more WTF moments and costly TO’s. But I wish him luck.