Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 12.52.30 PM

It’s been almost a week, but today, Isaac Humphries spoke out for the first time about the technical foul he received for spiking the ball at the end of the Texas A&M game. Humphries said he had no idea he’d get an automatic technical for the gesture because that’s not the rule in Australia.

“I didn’t know I couldn’t do that because it’s not an automatic tech foul if you throw the ball in Australia. If you’re swearing and all that stuff and throw it, yeah, it’s a tech foul. I don’t know. I didn’t know that was a rule.”

Well, actually, it’s not a rule. As we learned earlier this week, spiking the ball is NOT listed in the rule book as an unsportsmanlike conduct offense, and anyone who watched the play knew Isaac only threw the ball down because he was so happy about getting a crucial rebound.

“I was just so excited. I was so pumped up. Tyler came over and was so happy too. I don’t know, honestly, I don’t know why I did it. I was just so happy. It was just the first thing I thought of.”

Regardless, Isaac said he was overwhelmed by the support he’s received from his teammates and coaches this week.

“The support from the guys and the coaches was awesome. I did feel terrible so their support made me feel better,” Isaac said.

Also awesome? Isaiah Briscoe’s ball spike in the pregame dance circle, which Isaac said Isaiah’s actually been doing all season.

“Zay, he would do something like that,” Isaac laughed. “He does it before every game, but that one was too soon.”

12 Comments for Isaac Humphries says he didn’t know spiking the ball was an automatic technical foul (It’s not)

1. billybobthorton
    2:22 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

Okay Isaac well you watched isaiah briscoe get a technical the same way a week before that game…or did you forget about that

• ClutchCargo
      3:59 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, another BS call in a game full of them at USC Jr.. I will give the refs a tiny bit of slack because at least Briscoe’s was more the delay of game variety, since it was after a made basket (in an already chippy game) and not an “and 1” situation.

2. Dusten
    2:29 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

Is it just me or does Isaac have a slight resemblance to WCS in this picture?

3. JusSayin
    2:31 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

Too bad he didn’t just trip people twice…. Oh wait he plays for us not Duke.

4. Wildcat Sheli
    2:33 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

I know the Wisconsin game was instrumental in getting the under 2 minute shot clock violation “reviewable” . . . any chance Humphries’ spike will open the door for a definitive ruling if it should or should not be a T when the spike is clearly celebratory?

5. leon singleton
    2:49 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

Revenge will be sweet when we trounce [email protected] in the SEC tournament.

6. snl1960
    3:42 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

In video of refs talking he clearly says he threw the ball to the ground , that’s technical foul, unsportsmanlike conduct. Maybe he needs to learn the rules better

• Walter White
      5:00 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

But it’s not, so maybe you need to learn the rules better. It is up to the ref to call it

• WeareBBN
      2:11 am February 27, 2016 Permalink

Walter, it is called a T probably 95-98 % of the time. And as someone said below, IF the roles were reversed and they did not call a T on A&M all on here would have been screaming for the refs head.

7. rabblerabblerabble
    4:05 pm February 26, 2016 Permalink

If a player on Texas A&M had done the exact same thing, would you have expected a tech? Be honest.

• RBT