Isaac Humphries is Contemplating His Future at Kentucky

Isaac Humphries
Isaac Humphries

Isaac Humphries’ sophomore season hasn’t gone the way he expected.  He’s playing more minutes, scoring more points and grabbing more rebounds, but he has not played with confidence.

“I expected a different season,” Humphries told Joe Mussato of SEC Country. “I expected completely to not go this way, but that happens. I’m just trying to push through everything I can and do as much as I can when I get out there.”

If he can’t push through, he could take his talents elsewhere.

“It’s too early to say what anyone’s going to do,” Humphries said. “Like, I don’t know what my path will be next year. Obviously me being the right age to finally enter the draft, but there’s a lot of options. I don’t know anything yet. I’m trying to finish the season, finish March Madness because it’s about the team right now. It’s not about me. I’ve gotta finish that out and then kinda weigh my options. But Kentucky’s obviously a great place for development. I’m not gonna look past that at all.”

Humphries’ comments are surprising, but honest.  He’s disappointed in his play and is willing to do whatever it takes to push through his sophomore slump.

[SEC Country]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

32 Comments for Isaac Humphries is Contemplating His Future at Kentucky

1. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

Draft? What draft? Does Australia have their own version of the NBA? No way he gets drafted. He would be smart to hold the course and keep playing college ball and developing his game, either at UK or some other school.

Now Sacha is the one who should have a beef about playing time…

• Mathlete
      10:47 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

Disagree, any superstitious team would draft a guy who guarantees a win whenever he makes a single bucket

2. kvltclassic
    10:54 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

I’m not as alarmed by this because of the first group of quotes:

“In my mind I thought I’d be more confident, I thought I would look more confident, I thought I would be more productive,” Humphries said. “It just hasn’t really happened. I don’t know what happened, but I had a bit of a lull there and I think it got a bit too late to come out of it completely.”

Seems more like he’s concerned about his own performance than his place on the team. Not saying he won’t transfer but I don’t think he’s criticizing the team.

3. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:11 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

From his comments alone I wouldn’t draw the conclusion he is thinking about transferring…I think it seems editorialized.

• Nick Roush
      11:15 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

The word “transfer” is not written in this post.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      11:22 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

What exactly does this mean then? “If he can’t push through, he could take his talents elsewhere.”

4. secrick
    11:22 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

Yep i agree he was just talking about his year and now the media and us have him talking transfer.

5. Ridge Runner
    11:33 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

Still.. a bit unusual timing for comments like that of any type in my opinion

• Ridge Runner
      11:47 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

Focus your thoughts on execution and this tournament Isaac — and you’ll have plenty of time to contemplate your future bud

6. RC
    11:34 am March 17, 2017 Permalink

If Humphries would play like he’s 7-ft tall and develop a mean-streak, he’d be a very productive basketball player.
    Until then he’s very limited in his current productivity and his future as a professional player.
    I hope he figures it out.

• secrick
      12:03 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

I agree, just a little attitude would help him a lot. Great kid but he needs to get another technical .

7. The Professor
    12:43 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

I thought he would make a great leap forward this year after the promise he showed at times last season. However, he seems to actually regressed a bit. I still think he has a great upside but needs playing time to gain more confidence. UK may not be the best place to do that. He will be fighting several McDonalds “bigs” for PT again next season and he could start for 80-90% of other Division 1 schools.

• lexslamman
      12:49 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

How do you figure? The only McD with size we have coming in next year is Nick Richards, the only returners with size would be Sasha and Wenyen (if they come back). Tai, as much as I like the guy, isn’t a McD, but he may compete for minutes with Isaac.

• 4everblue
      3:58 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

lexslamman you must have forgotten Kentucky is still in the lead for Mo Bamba (Center | 7-0 / 210) I believe he is a McDonald’s All American…… http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/mohamed-bamba/

8. AGSlater
    12:52 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

he would fit in at st marys. Or Gonzag

• lexslamman
      1:17 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Gonzaga has an excellent record of developing big men, and St. Mary’s has a great record of developing Australians. I think he fits great here at Kentucky, he has all the talent and physical attributes he needs to excel here, he just needs to put in the work on his technical skills.

9. AGSlater
    12:53 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Nick, you sound exactly like the guy from the cal.com podcast. I think its you everytime

10. DelrayCat
    1:00 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Personally, I think he is soft. I mean he plays piano for gosh sakes!
    Not every guy can handle Cal’s constant yelling, butt-chewings, and being yanked after 30 seconds because he mishandled a rebound or blew a defensive assignment.

• lexslamman
      1:11 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Wait a minute. Guns and Roses had a piano. Crue has a piano. “The Final Countdown” has a keys part. David Bryan was a Juliard-accepted virtuoso who played Bon Jovi’s keys. The late Leon Russell could probably score through contact, and I’d like to see you drive against a man the size of Fats Domino. Are you saying Warren Zevon wasn’t tough? Keith Emerson. Richard Wright. Billy Preston. Stevie Wonder. Jon Lord. Donald Fagen. Serj Tankian. Billy Powell. Dr. John. Jan Hammer. Bernie Worrell. Herbie Hancock. Chuck Leavell.

Piano players have been kicking behinds for generations now, you just never bothered to notice!

• Ridge Runner
      1:21 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Lex… ya forgot Schroeder from Charlie Brown man!!!

Seriously, nice list

• 4everblue
      4:04 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Delray is right, piano players are soft. Surprised you didn’t include Elton and Liberace on your list.

11. etp714
    1:20 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

He definitely isn’t nba caliber. He reminds me of snuffalufagus off of sesame street…lol.

• Ridge Runner
      1:26 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Cool, I gotcha there…

12. WallKnightMonk
    1:21 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Fake news! LOL!

Left out key portions of the linked story. Organized and written in a way that leaves out key information. Typical 21st century journalism.

Key portion from the linked article:

“Humphries played 66 more minutes this season than he did a year ago, but his role never expanded past backing up freshman big man Bam Adebayo. He said he’s not sour about the role he’s been dealt, but rather how he’s performed.”

*however I must say that after reading the linked article, sounds like dude is gone after the season.

13. GroundControlToNumber9
    1:28 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Burp

14. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    1:31 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Why all the negativity putting Humphries down? Dang…he is OUR guy. He didn’t say anything about transferring and I hope he doesn’t. He may need another two years…or even 3 with a redshirt…but dang…quit shoving him out the door and calling him soft when you are going to be cheering him on later tonight.

15. Not Dan Issel
    1:57 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure he’s disappointed that he hasn’t played better or had more PT. Derek Willis would be a good example of being patient and waiting for your chance to play. Humphries clearly has some talent but this year he has been far too foul prone to even get many minutes. I certainly hope he hangs around as he can be a valuable contributor in the years ahead.

16. blindsided
    2:33 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

I believe in Cal and what he is doing, but I sure would have liked to see how a line-up Monk, Fox, Willis, Bam, and Humphries would have played out. Bam is definately a good enough mid-range shooter to make it work.

17. plumloopy
    3:13 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Dammit.

18. damage_control
    4:03 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

If he does leave, can we all please agree not to say the phrase, “THAT would’ve been a game for Isaac Humphries,” next year? It’s gotten very old already. Every year we have to hear fans and Matt comment after a loss how if we’d had Jodie Meeks, or Willie Cauley Stein, or Alex Poythress, or Kyle Wiltjer, or Marcus Lee, or Charles Matthews (ok now I’m exaggerating), we’d won that game. It doesn’t matter!!!

• damage_control
      4:06 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

And how could I forget all the times I’ve heard about how THAT was a game for Dakari Johnson?

19. AllBall
    5:49 pm March 17, 2017 Permalink

Weeks ago Cal made the comment that an individual can’t run by changing teams/locations. The same limitations follow you as far as personal development. Wherever you’re at you have to fight and push to improve. At the time everyone thought it was Killeya-Jones but now we know it’s Hump.
    C’mon Hump…man up and play to your potential.