Is it too late to cancel the game?

Friends of Big Blue Nation, that was an ugly showing we just witnessed from our University of Kentucky Wildcats. It was really, really bad. The Cats were bitten by the slow start bug again, falling down by 10 points before fans outside of the Pistol Pete Center were even able to catch the action on TV. (Thanks a lot, Iowa and Michigan State.) It didn’t get much better once the cameras were rolling as the Cats trailed for 39 minutes and 44 seconds to an 87-82 loss in snowy Baton Rouge. Don’t let that final score fool you, though; it was a 13-point deficit with just over a minute remaining in the game. UK never really stood a chance in this one.

Let’s discuss the game, because it’s too late to cancel it.

Pat yourself on the back, Dakari Johnson and James Young.

We’re leading off with the only two positive notes from the evening. Their names are Dakari Johnson and James Young and they are the only players on the team who gave much of anything.

Dakari scored a career-high 15 points on 7-of-8 shooting with six rebounds before fouling out late in the game. He played physical, he battled, and never backed down from LSU’s frontcourt, when it seemed everyone else in blue was. Kudos to Dakari for yet another great game off the bench when Willie Cauley-Stein wasn’t offering much. Is it time to give him a shot at the starting lineup? I’m not opposed to it, but Cal said he doesn’t intend to make that move any time soon.

Young also played great with 23 points, seven rebounds and two assists to lead the team in all three statistics. He was the only one doing anything on the offensive end to keep the Cats anywhere in the game. For example, with less than five minutes remaining, Young had the same amount of points (20) as Julius Randle, Willie Cauley-Stein and the Harrison twins combined. COMBINED.

Did Julius Randle make the trip?

Looking back on the game, I’m not sure I can remember anything positive from Julius. Wait, I think he went coast-to-coast for a dunk — yeah, he did. But that’s it. Nothing else comes to mind.

Randle was 3-of-11 from the field for six points and five rebounds with three turnovers. He got abused by the LSU bigs in this one, much like he did in Chapel Hill against North Carolina in early December. Jordan Mickey threw his stuff a couple times and Jarell Martin, who called Randle out yesterday, outscored him in the game.

LSU topped its season averages in steals and blocks.

We knew LSU could disrupt shots and create turnovers on defense, and that’s exactly what they did Tuesday night against the Cats. The Tigers recorded 11 steals and 11 blocks in the game, both above its season averages.

Kentucky won the rebounding battle in the loss. That’s good to know, I guess.

Johnny O’Bryant III had a hell of a game.

O’Bryant III scored a season-high 29 points against Kentucky and was unconscious from the field to start the game. Calipari said, “O’Bryant killed us” after the loss.

He was a big part of the reason LSU jumped out to an early 22-6 lead.

Harrisons will want to forget about this one.

Leaving Aaron Harrison’s nine points in 30 seconds aside — nice run at the end, though — Brothers Harrison had a terrible night in Baton Rouge. They reverted back to sulking instead of fighting through adversity and Andrew showed that he still isn’t ready to step up to the level of point guard play that John Calipari demands. Before Aaron’s three-point barrage at the end, the twins were 0-for-12 from the field in the second half when Kentucky was looking for them to step up to the challenge and lead a comeback.

Aaron also had UK’s worst +/- for the night at -19.

Willie Cauley-Stein: Nothing.

That’s four out of five games now. He hasn’t proven he can compete against the big boys down low.

Alex Poythress, Mr. Offensive Rebound.

It was another Poythress-like game for Alex Poythress. He had five offensive rebounds to go with his two boards on the other end and 10 points off the bench. I guess we can throw him into that Pat-yourself-on-the-back group with Johnson and Young. Alex has become the one guy UK can count on to show up for every game. He’s slowly becoming Darius Miller.

LSU shot 50 percent from the field.

Calipari noted that not many teams shoot 50 percent from the field against his team. “You’ve got to give LSU credit.”

Cal also noted that he should’ve double-teamed O’Bryant earlier in the game. He admitted to making a mistake by waiting so long to do it.

Dan Dakich wasn’t bad at all.

Tip of the hat to Dan Dakich for calling a fair game. No complaints other than his inability to pronounce Alex PoytHress. I particularly enjoyed him screaming, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” at the end, joining everyone in Big Blue Nation with the same outburst. As much as we hate to admit it, Dakich was pretty spot on with his analysis and criticism of the Cats.

Why didn’t they foul?

The world will never know. UK’s quit in the end may be the single most disappointing and frustrating moment of the season. I don’t understand why you don’t foul there. No one understands. Rex Chapman tweeted that he is “dumbfounded.” We’re all dumbfounded.

The team is stuck in Baton Rouge tonight due to weather.

What could make this night worse for the team? Being stuck in Baton Rouge after the loss. And that’s exactly what happened. They’ll attempt to fly back in the morning.

Beat Missouri.

Gotta have it.

Article written by Drew Franklin

210 Comments for Is it too late to cancel the game?

1. Lou E. Ville
    12:38 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

YOU GUYS SURE SUCKED OUT THERE LOL

• SandMan
      12:44 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Dude, quit acting like a Louisville fan and trolling to make them look bad. It only makes us look worse. Go to bed.

2. SandMan
    12:43 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I lost a lot of respect for Calipari the coach at the end of that game.

First of all, your guys are scrambling and making and threes and cut it to five — you call a timeout. No excuses. (Unless we were out of timeouts). You draw up a play to try and get a steal, if not, you draw up Plan B, foul so no time expires. Cal did neither, and to add insult to injury, he waved off his guys from fouling.

I truly think Calipari waved off his guys from fouling because a five point, 87-82 loss might look better to pollsters next Sunday than an 89-82 loss. I can’t come up with any other explanation. That was pitiful.

• Scoreboard
      8:24 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

We were, in fact, out of time outs.

3. RealtySays
    12:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The twins are perhaps the most over-rated Micky D all-star players in the last 5 years. Rarely do the scouts miss by this bad. Usually the #1 players at a given position coming out of high school are going to be the best players on their respective teams. Not even close here.
    Let’s face it, these two guys are never going to be high level pros. Too slow and simply poor competitors. They may become solid for us in the years to come, but one-and-done…no freaking way!

• TinMan
      1:08 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I hope they’re one and done. I don’t like their attitudes and won’t miss em.

• na8vecat
      3:23 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Heck yeah I am over the Harrrisons and if I am the coach Stein would sit on the bench the rest of the year

• el hombre juan
      4:03 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

They remind me of little Daniel ortons

• Yo
      8:29 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree. These are likely the two most overrated players the last decade.

• ProspectMike
      9:02 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m beginning to think the Harrison’s are quadruplets and we’ve got the wrong two.

• atr0614
      10:20 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more that I hope the twins are “one and done.” Their attitude alone is really souring me on this team this year. The mouthing off by WCS last night to the staff only added to that. I think all three deserve to sit for the next game or two.

4. Lou E. Ville
    12:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Act? Lol, no you guys really suck

• Scoreboard
      2:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

And Louisville got beat by that team that sucks 73-66. Says alot about your Tards.

• Dee W.
      2:21 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

15-31; L1C5

• Tubby's Truth
      10:01 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

We needed a lot of friendly whistles AT HOME to defeat the Cards who seem to be hitting their stride while we flounder. So, while it’s cute for you to say “Scoreboard” – the truth is we might not even be ranked in a week or two while they’re actually out opening eyes with their improved play. We have done nothing but backslide since December.

• CatsRus
      10:33 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Question: How do these high school players get so overhyped? My theory for what its worth: Rivals etc see that Cal or K are recruiting some guy and they jump on the bandwagon. I hate to say it but I never saw the Harrison Twins as particularly impressive from the All Star games. I was enthralled by Randle’s talents. The sad likelihood is that all these guys will declare for the Draft just based on the High School clippings.
      Cards fans know Behanon is now going to Colorado State where reefer is legal.

5. Billy Clyde
    12:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Time to break out the pop tarts… Where’s that coach that throws ice water on people in the garage?

6. GAHill
    12:49 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I love Cal and out coaching staff. What they’ve done the past 5 years is incredible. We’re so lucky to have them.

That said, I put this on them. The bench looked like chaos tonight. And I get the whole “hey, I’m Italian” bit of Cal’s, but at some point when do these kids start questioning themselves?

This team has yet to truly come out and play great from tip to buzzer….and tonight was maybe the worst example. I get that these guys need to have fun within the system, but at some point, you need to LET them have fun. Haven’t seen that all year.

Dodgeball, anyone?

And Lou E. Ville: we are still 1-0 against you, idiot.

• SandMan
      12:55 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Lou E. Ville is not a U of L fan. Good grief. He’s a 15 year-old UK fan trolling.

• SandMan
      1:14 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

and im no Uk fan

• SandMan
      5:30 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Loe E. Ville is my other moniker I post under when I come to troll.

7. Andrew B
    12:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Good post Drew. I agree that Dakari and Young were the only two highlights and perhaps Alex as well. What I really like about Young is the fact that even when he misses a few threes… he continues to shoot. It doesn’t look like much distracts his offensive game. Dakari played really big, I just hope he can be consistent.

What I personally (and I may be wrong) want BBN to remember is the 10′-11′ wildcats who went I believe 10-6 in the SEC and 29-9 overall. FL overall took the SEC that season for best record like they’ll do again this year. I also personally believe this years team has better talent overall that those 10′-11′ wildcats who made a deep run in the tourney, but maybe the ‘experience’ of Miller, Liggins, and Harrellson is something that Hood, Polson, and I guess WCS and Alex just can’t give us. I’m not sure if experience is going to be a make or break come tournament (probably will)… but this team’s talent may do wonders… who knows… but there’s nothing we can do about the ‘freshman’ we have – so enough with the comments… Cal isn’t leaving in the middle of the year – so enough of those comments too… be a true big blue fan and root and respect the team! There’s a reason why we’re the best fans in all of sports, remember that! Go Cats!

• Skeps
      1:06 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Please stop comparing this team to 2011. 2011 team had great shooters. This team can’t hit shi*.

• UK Fan
      1:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

And the 2011 team actually had a point guard. Andrew is a fuggin SF, I don’t care what position he played in high school.

• Andrew B
      1:25 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Skeps – This year’s team at least prior to tonight’s game was shooting a better field goal percentage than the 2010-2011 team (.471 > .459) The 10′-11′ team shot .397 from 3-Point whereas this team barely lacks that by shooting .323. So to make a quote saying that the 10′-11′ team had “shooters” and this team doesn’t statistically doesn’t even match up. I don’t think it’s a far off comparison if you look at stats.

UK Fan – if you’re the same “UK Fan” to say Harrow is greater than Andrew… I don’t even need to reply in detail to your comments…

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      6:00 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Andrew B – There is a HUGE difference in 40% (10-11 team) versus 32% (this year’s team) from 3 point land. This team has NO ONE who is a consistent outside threat. Sure, Young gets his points, but it’s because he shoots a LOT and not because he is a good shooter. Take your own advice. The stats prove this team has show anyone is a consistent outside threat.

• Scoreboard
      8:30 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Yes, the difference between 40% and 32% is enormous. Or let’s look at it player by player. The ’10-’11 team had B. Knight (87 3s, 38%), Lamb (68 3s, 49%), Miller (58 3s, 44%), Liggins (36 3s, 39%), and Jones (26 3s, 33%). That’s five big time three point threats and another guy in Jones who wasn’t bad out there.

This team has Young (47 3s, 34%), Aaron (25 3s, 31%), and Andrew (18 3s, 37%). That’s it. Next on the team for most threes is Polson with five. Only three three point threats, all of whom are roughly equivalent to Terrence Jones out there instead of Lamb or MIller.

8. Jake
    12:58 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I know Cal doesn’t want to alter things much this late into the season and said he will not be changing the starting lineup anytime soon, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that WCS deserves to be starting Saturday. Offensively there is nothing there but we knew that. Defensively, in conference, he has regressed. But what’s the most disappointing is his attitude. It’s been like that since his 9 block game against Providence. And what he did on the bench this evening just tops it off. DJ has outperformed and out worked WCS since conference began and should be getting the starting nod Saturday.

• GaylordFocker
      1:03 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I think WCS is smoking the ganja. Can’t say for sure, but I have my suspicions. I’m pro-weed, but I’ve seen it all too many times with people and basketball players. He dyes his hair. He’s lackadaisical. He’s inconsistent. He just looks like a pothead. Same thing hurt Behanan’s game this season. Smoking too much grass.

9. UK Fan
    12:59 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

How did this team get so overhyped again? We just beat the record we set last year, the biggest drop on AP poll history. From #1 to not ranked at all..

10. Big Dave
    1:01 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Great title Drew. Gave me a laugh on a miserable night.

11. Carmine
    1:02 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Seems like im starting to hear , Well yeah this season has been disappointing but just wait till next year..Isnt that what we said last year? The just wait till next year talk is starting to depress me..

• TinMan
      1:06 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Stay calm, the twins are hopefully leaving.

12. UK Fan
    1:04 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

What about calling out randle on being THE worst defender in the SEC? He couldn’t guard a refrigerator..

13. katdaddy
    1:08 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Next yr won’t be any better! 5mill a yr? unreal!!

• sue
      1:48 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Someone is NOT getting their money’s worth. Can we keep his players and lose his coaching?

14. UK Fan
    1:08 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Ryan harrow > Andrew Harrison

• Mom
      1:11 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Alright son, bedtime.

15. UK Fan
    1:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Im Geigh

16. CopenhagenCat
    1:21 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cats got whipped no doubt, but the refs didn’t help, Cats went to the free throw line 13 times compared to 26 times by LSU. Now I know they played like crap. But it seemed like every time LSU drove to the basket they called foul. Every time Randle got the ball or UK drove to the basket they would get slapped and no call.The reffing is terrible this year, not just UK games but other games also. I don’t give credit to anyone in this game because the defense was terrible. No one was guarding anyone. They let their man run right past them and expect the team mate to pick them up. Why was they even pressing? They can’t even get down the court when they aren’t. I love these kids they all have talent but they aren’t playing as a team, they have flashes but they don’t wanna keep the gas on the pedal. I predicted they would lose 6 games this year. I still believe in them. But they need to wake up and know games aren’t going to given to them. If you don’t wanna bust your butt then go take a seat. They have the offense but they need major work on the defense. And if anyone wants Cal gone your crazy. Lets hope this has woke them up before Saturday. GO CATS!

• mashburnfan1
      7:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Here goes the typical UK fan. Refs had nothing to do with us losing, and us being young is a tired excuse. Get players here that want to play for the love of the game, the Kentucky across their chest. I want kids here that we can grow to love over 3 to 4 years. I am sick of these kids being here cause they have to be somewhere for a year and the fraud that Cal puts kids in the NBA. All those kids would have been top picks right from high school, some even higher picks had they not gone to Cal. Wall was #1 from high school, AD was was AD not because of Cal. What has he done for the players the past couple years. All of our recruits the past 2 seasons are lower picks after Cal than they would have been prior. He recruited top picks previously, he did not make them top picks and hopefully that fraud is now being seen.

• Wow
      10:28 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

17. Tennessee Wildcat
    1:24 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I have been a die hard Kentucky fan since 1975. Too many things to mention that this team is doing wrong. For some reason this team just does not translate talent to the court and play as a successful team should. It almost seems like this team has an NBA like attitude and only plays tough when it has to. This is so disappointing. Has the NBA scouts missed on these players?. We have three small forwards, a power forward and a center with no confidence starting. We just can’t guard anybody well enough on the road. Another loss is expected on Saturday. Very disappointing.

• Kray502
      1:58 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

^^^ 56-52

18. Scharpey
    1:27 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Bottom line is they just dont want it.

19. just saying
    1:30 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

lets call a spade a spade.

2010- Cal had the BEST collection of talent in the last 10 years. Wall, Cousins, Patterson, Bledsoe, with a deep team of vets. Couldnt get out of the Elite 8.
    2011- Struggled all year, couldnt win a game on the road, caught fire in the SECT and upset UNC and Ohio St, but couldnt beat a #9 seed Uconn
    2012- The ONLY reason TJones and DLamb came back was the NBA Lock-out, along with two of the best HS talents in the last decade
    2013- 4 NBA “prospects”, terrible all year and couldnt make NCAA tourny
    2014- Poorly coached, over-rated “talent” that still seems like they dont know what they are doing.

The Point?? Cal is an NBA lock-out + MKG/AD from chronic underacheivement. These guys are severely poorly coached, and its easy for most anyone to see. Now…this would be acceptable and tolerable if UK fans could think “they are freshman, they will be awesome in a year or two”, but we cant, all these primadonnas will be gone, and next years class is not “as good” as this one.

STOP talking about “mental toughness” and show me a team that can set a screen, run a pick and roll, actually run a set play out of a timeout, box out a rebounder, or play any form of defense. Im not talking about your guy blows past you and hope someone blocks, it but defensive stops, create turnovers

• CopenhagenCat
      1:36 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I rather go to the final 8, final 4, and then a championship than wait 10 years like we did with Tubby.

• theSkinny81
      1:42 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Or 13 years under Pitino. Or 26 as a whole.

• whould you now?
      1:43 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Smith led Kentucky to one national championship in 1998, a perfect 16—0 regular season conference record in 2003 (as well as being named national AP Coach of the Year), five SEC regular season championships (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005) and five SEC Tournament titles (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004), with six Sweet Sixteen finishes and FOUR Elite Eight finishes (1998, 1999, 2003, 2005) in his nine seasons after the 1998 championship. He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Fame member Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games.

Without a single NIT appearance, and all without 5 straight #1 recruiting classes. I did NOT like Tubbyball, but dont tell me how great things are now, without atleast comparing facts

• ILCatsFan
      1:44 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I whole-heartedly agree with your statement. I’ve said the same thing. Other than 2012, Cal has underachieved at UK. The overall record doesn’t validate that statement, but the amount of sheer talent Cal has had over the past 5 seasons should have equivalated into better results at the end of the season. I am still dumbfounded as to how the 2010 team didn’t win the title. Then we go from national champions in 2012 to first round exit in the NIT the next year. Now we have a potential double-digit loss team that was being touted as unbeatable? Come on people! Open your eyes! This is not Kentucky Basketball. I honestly don’t know what this is anymore.

• theSkinny81
      1:45 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

*like Louisville.

• louie
      1:52 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

It’s not rocket science. Cal gets the best players,..but he can’t coach them. Can we hire someone to actually coach the players that Cal recruits???

• just saying
      1:53 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

skinny81,
      If your insinuating I am a UL fan, you sir could not be more wrong. I have probably been rooting for UK longer than you could say “UK”. I am a season ticket holder in section 212, 1999 UK graduate, and current UK alumini Kfund member. Just got home from the hospital and had to watch the game delayed because I DVR’d it.
      you can call me what you want, but if you call me not impressed with these one-and-done freshmen laden teams that seem to care about draft stock more than playing for the team that supports you, then you may be right

• Kray502
      1:55 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Uh UCONN was a 3 seed that year. They also beat us by 17 and led by as many as 30 in the Maui invitational to start the year. So It really showed how far we progressed as a team to get to the Final Four and only lose to a team that destroyed us earlier in the year, by 1 point, and if Liggins hit the three before the free throws that made it 55-51 with 5 seconds left. Cal might have 2 rings on his hand.

• Kray502
      1:59 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

^^^ 56-52

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      6:23 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Just Saying – I totally agree. Cal has repeatedly proven what many refuse to accept. Hand’s down, he is the best recruiter in the game, but he can’t coach. He is incapable of using a bench effectively. Oh, he gets pissed, makes a big theatrical performance, gets in their face with sarcasm and sits a starter for 1 to 2 minutes. But rarely do they stay on the bench long. His self-hyped DDM offense has proven to be what his critics warned. ie. He basically rolls out the ball and just expects superior talent to “make plays”. He’s had 2 teams where some of the “talent” was actually superior and was also mature beyond their years and could make it work. But for two years straight, we have seen how it fails to work when the over hyped freshman actually play like typical freshman. Cal just keeps using the excuse of “we’re young” or “they’re freshman”. Sorry, that’s a lame excuse, when he built the team.

20. ILCatsFan
    1:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Travis Ford

• Joe
      1:53 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Stop!

• BPM
      8:54 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Just curious what you think Travis Ford has done to warrant being the UK coach? What is his post season record at Ok. St.? How may Big 12 titles has he won? How many Big 12 tournaments?

• ILCatsFan
      2:52 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Ford may not have the track record of a Calapari or other big name coaches, but he can clearly recruit (Smart and Nash) and he can coach a team. Throw in the fact he’s a former player and you have a recipe for success. We were desperate when we hired Cal because we wanted to win now. Cal can’t build a program. I guarantee a coach like Ford will build a program and get a few high profile youngsters to play for us too. I think he’s our best option if Cal heads for the NBA, which is likely after this season.

21. Justin Credable
    1:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Man o man this was a hard game to watch and like last year I keep waiting and waiting for the cats to turn the corner but as each game passes it looks more like last year than it did in ’12. I hope they think about it tonight and maybe the twins can make a stop by OZ and find a heart.

well said just saying and you said it well.

22. Scharpey
    1:35 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

If you notice when cal is screaming in their face on the sideline it looks like they just don’t care. It’s like, “I’m here for now, I’m on tv alot, I’m going to get drafted high and make alot of money and you screaming at me doesnt change any of that. You have already said in the past that you want me to meet my dreams in the nba, what I do against LSU in January really don’t mean shit.” Just sayin’

23. Steve
    1:40 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

A loss on sat at Missouri, swept by fla, and a loss at Oxford. All road games are possible L’s. 11 games left. Assume they finish 7-4 rest of season. Is 22-9 good enough To get in NCAA? Looks like we could be headed for 8 or 9 seed.

• binarysolo
      1:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

When Doug Gottlieb put us at #7 in his preseason rankings we flipped our s#!t. Look where we are now.

So when Jerry Palm put us as a 6-seed in his brackets, let’s not go nuts because that may even be a higher seed than we end up getting.

24. binarysolo
    1:42 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

If you would’ve bet me Dan Dakich would be the main positive I would take away from tonight, you’d be walking away with some kind of currency in your pocket.

25. IowaCat
    1:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Bottom line, we just aren’t very good right now. Can they make a run in march? Absolutely, they’re just making it harder on themselves for the future with these losses. We get too high after two wins at home vs mediocre teams, and too low after these types of losses. Everyone is just dying for this team to turn the corner, but they’re just not ready yet. We’ll see if they get there.

• Joe
      1:49 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I think we need to accept the fact that this team is not going to turn the corner. Lsu is not a very good team. Arkansas is not a very good team. Baylor and UNC are not good teams either.

26. Tennessee Wildcat
    1:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I wish that Cal would stand by his words and bench some of these burger boys and mess up their draft status to teach them a lesson that it should be “team first” instead of “players first”. Our players are acting like prima donnas who don’t appreciate what they have. Please use the bench effectively as a tool. Heck, we will start out the next game down 10-2 anyway. Play players that try!

• Dee W.
      2:28 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Agree…they weren’t even trying – why keep playing them? Put in Hood, Hawkins, Willis, etc. Not sure they would have turned it around, but they have at least given it their best shot…who knows, mixing it up might have worked because our offense and defense was very predictable to LSU and they were clobbering those that were in there, with a couple of exceptions like Johnson, Polson, and Young who gave their best effort.

• atr0614
      10:31 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Ditto…well said.

• That One Guy
      12:38 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

But you guys play for the name on the back of the jersey. Your coach said that ish.

27. Defending Champs!!
    1:58 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I wish I could take these comments back to November and make all you hillbillies eat crow. It’s hilarious reading post’s from August and then reading the comments on this one. Lololololol

• Dee W.
      2:32 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hillbillies?

As absurd as it gets. Yet you think you are clever.

Louisville: 15-31 against UK, including dropping 5 of the last 6. Yet you should show up here crowing like you’ve got something.

28. BBN FL4SH
    2:03 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

THE PENGUINS CONTROLLED AND WON THIS GAME… GOO CATS! BAD CALLS FROM THE STRIPES.. ALL THIS SNOW DEF BROUGHT THEM PENGUINS OUT!

• Justin Credable
      2:06 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The refs did not have a thing to do with the game. We got beat…flat out!!!

• rahrah
      9:12 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Nope, the refs may have cost us the Arkansas game but this fiasco was all on the team and the coaches. Not sure what was wrong out there but there was NO energy and very little real effort. A huge disappointment. Too much bickering between the kids and the staff…..

29. Coach Cal
    2:05 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Remember, guys. We play for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front.

30. Real Cracka
    2:18 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Is it too late to cancel BBN’s stupidity is the real question. It’s amazing to come on here pregame and listen to the morons says we win by 15+. The ignorant fanbase doesn’t have the slightest clue about basketball. They can only talk mad sh*t then slam the team when their ignorance doesn’t pan out. They don’t even learn from previous weeks. They are that clueless. They have some amazing ability to block out history and act like it didn’t happen. Which explains why this is a Republican state.

• Dee W.
      2:26 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Ignorance? A small group of people posting on an internet website is not the “fanbase.” Explains why this is a Republican state? What in the world? If you want to see ignorance, read over what you just wrote…

• SR
      3:08 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

What Dee W. said.

There’s 3 million some people in the state. 23,000 fans at our home games. Fans tucked in every town in the state. Less than 100 individuals commenting on a thread in cyberspace tonight, and Real Cracka uses that to gauge the fanbase, lol…he does have a point though…*some* of the UK fans on the Internet bring out the worst of our fans..

• Real Cracka
      3:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The fact that this impoverished state is Republican is all the proof I need to provide. Been on this website for years so it’s not “a small group.” Been in this state for 45 years so even more proof to draw from. And your comment, with absolutely nothing to dispute what I’ve wrote, is more confirmation. So thanks for that.

• MoronBrothers
      6:59 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Republican state when it comes to a presidential election….not so much on the local level or the race for governor (Fletcher being the exception).

31. UKALLDay
    2:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

That was by far the hardest game to watch this year. I can’t believe the lack of basketball IQ on this team. I have never seen so many forced drives (and shots) right into the teeth of the defense. They honestly looked like the team you put together at your local LA FITNESS. Like a team that has never played a day together and did not know each other AT ALL. It really looked like they just rolled the ball out and just played. I mean were those plays they were running? It was ridiculously unorganized. This team simply can not play at a fast pace and stay under control, Cal sees this so why not slow them down. Julius forced it way to much and our BIGS were DOMINATED. Only Dakari showed up and even he did not play good defense. The Harrison twins were horrendous, I mean what happened to Aaron Harrison? He is getting worse as the year goes on. Andrew Harrison is not very good, he will come back and have a battle with Ulis to see who runs the team next year (Ulis is a way better lead guard). I’m sad to say that these issues look unfixable, they are not getting better. Look at Kansas, they are young but they improve every game. Same with Duke. But not UK.

• BBN
      8:51 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

LA Fitness!! That is awesome, I got a good laugh this morning from that comparison. Sadly though it appears true.

32. Money
    2:35 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Seriously, forget about practicing free throws. Need to focus on learning to play Defense.

33. msnthrop
    4:55 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Randle cost himself some money last night…at least a couple of articles have mentioned that he does not have an NBA sized wingspan and have noted his poor play against other potential NBA big men, last night being the most recent example…I bet he still goes in the lottery based on reputation but I wouldn’t be surprised if he falls out of the top five in the draft.

• BNClay
      8:40 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Yes, Willy also. Both have been owened against other potential NBA guys.

34. bman
    5:45 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

After tonight, it is hard to imagine this team winning at Mizzou. I’m just not sure these guys are gonna play well as a team. I don’t like the idea that their best game was a home win over a mediocre Georgia team missing their starting guards. Cal needs to start using his bench or quit talking about it.

35. Not that good
    5:52 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

As a die hard member of BBN, when will my fellow members realize that THIS TEAM IS JUST NOT THAT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Justin Credable
      7:26 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I did last night!!!

• The CAT
      7:43 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Absolutely,,,,, same as last year, not that good. We’ll be watching most of these guys again next year. Maybe they will learn to play. Well they will need to be coached.

• oldtimer from LEX
      9:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

What is the common thread here? The team is good, very talented, McDonald’s All-Americans, a whole bench full of ’em! What’s bad is the person coaching. A coach that thought BEFORE this season began hinted that his guys were probably good enough to go undefeated. Cal can recruit, he is a super salesman, but honestly people, he is horrible with X’s and O’s, and if you are a bb coach, and you know basketball, you know too. Cal always blames his players, always. The problem is NOT the players! The blame has to go to the coach. Cal has another team full of NBA talent that again this year will end up in the NIT. You decide BBN, do you want a recruiter or a coach? You DON’T have both.

• atr0614
      11:40 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Until last night, I was hoping it was just a matter of them “jelling.” Now I agree.

36. rockatao
    6:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Here is the glass-half-full perspective: there have been a lot of good UK teams over the years that have laid an egg on a winter trip down South, and who have recovered nicely afterwards.

Here is the glass-is-three-quarters-empty perspective: this is not a good UK team.

37. Buckets
    6:16 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The comments from the trolls and the idiots are hilarious after losses, especially bad ones.

38. Bledsoe's Biceps
    6:47 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m still amazed a coach with Cal’s experience has ZERO clue how to use his bench. It’s as if he gets so caught up in his own sideline theatrics that he looses all sense of what is really going on in the game. We all watched the excruciating performance of both Harrison’s. I kept waiting for Hawkins to come in, but noooooo. I then thought maybe he was ill or injured, but after the game is basically over, then Cal puts him in. He did use Polson. I appreciate his effort, but with him in the game we are playing 4 on 5 when we have the ball. He rarely even looks to score. O’Bryant owned the paint. Kept waiting for Cal to maybe try Marcus Lee to mix it up or at least use up a few fouls, rather than let O’Bryant score. But nooooooo. The outside shooting was horrendous, so maybe Cal could try Willis for a bit and see if he could get things going, but noooooo. Cal said he learned from last year’s thin bench. That’s obviously a lie. Oh, he has more bodies and more talent this year. I can only conclude he’s too stupid to realize he actually has to use them or it’s for naught.

• Axe Cop
      8:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Harrisons.

39. Drew Franklin-Stein
    6:48 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Rectum y’all

40. Roy "Skaggs" Skaggs
    7:01 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I say we beat Moozoo and don’t bet beat no more. We get a three seed and win #9

41. Big blue Phil
    7:01 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

………I vote for W.S. Shockers coach!!! He can win games!!!!!

42. MoronBrothers
    7:01 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Drew, Oscar Combs can’t pronounce Alex’s last name either.

43. One n done Phil
    7:03 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The one and done with winning died last year cal!!! Time for you to come up with a new plan! 5 mil a year and we are headed straight for a second straight NIT! I bet no wins in road the rest of the year. I vote for W.S. Shockers coach!!! He can win games!!!!!

44. BurnerTurner5
    7:05 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Season over! NIT bound. Maybe they can win a game or two in the NIT this season. Randle and WCS NBA draft picks. REALLY? They can’t compete against good college players. Until recently,I had never seen a seven foot p#*%y before. Dakari ,Polson and James Young are the only ones out there busting their ass. If this team fails to make the tournament Cal’s ass should have blisters on it from sitting in that hot seat.

45. One n done Phil
    7:06 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

At least football season is coming up in 7 months!!!!!

46. One n done Phil
    7:09 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Man I know one thing for sure…#30 & #15 are the shortest tall guys I have seen!! Good thing chuck Hayes was taller

47. One n done Phil
    7:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Randolph Morris is back……I mean #30 did not even play

48. wsflwildcat
    7:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Dakich was terrible. Constantly talking down about our guys and good about LSU players. Just because a player makes a mistake doesn’t mean it happened because he was a freshman. I watch players of all classes do the same things our guys are doing. Players make mistakes, big deal its basketball.

• The CAT
      7:50 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hey, no one can talk bad about our players, but BBN. Hey our players are not that good.

49. 2mites
    7:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Well another bad loss to an NIT bound team means this UK team just does not have that ” IT ” factor. This team can only hope now they can hang on to a 6 seed. No excuse for this and only shows how weak this team really is. There is an ocean of difference between this UK team and Arizona, Syracuse, Florida, and any of the teams in the top 10. UK does not belong and a sweet 16 is best to hope for. What a terrible waste of talent or talent that is just way overrated. Not this year fans and the only one on this team that is NBA talent is James Young. Randle and the Harrisons are not even close. Poythress may be close. Cal needs to be honest and tell these guys that they are not ready or he is doing them a huge disservice.

• The CAT
      7:45 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

OVERRATED

50. Gasman
    7:37 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Pull a Joe B. Hall and start your bench against Missou…. If you can’t get their attention then, it’s over for this year’s team. I would take effort over talent right now.

51. BurnerTurner5
    7:50 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Sorry. I overlooked Alex. He is also giving great effort. Is anybody else sick of missing the first part of our game because it takes Michigan State a half an hour to play two minutes? Tom Izzo SUCKS!!! If we’re the nine oclock game and Michigan State is part of the seven oclock game you can count on not seeing the tip off of our game.

• Hudgie DeRobertis
      12:45 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Hey dude – you put up the only post worth reading. You’re right, Izzo sucks, Big 10 sucks. Having to suffer “WatchESPN” for the first 10 minutes of the UK game makes me insane.

52. Ooops
    7:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

It appears we have several fans on this board that mirror the players. They sulk when something doesn’t go their way. Most of the comments on this board are made by veterans, NOT FRESHMAN.

We had very high expectations for this group, but they have been slow to adjust and we are disappointed. Most freshmen are not as skilled or coachable as Davis, MKG, or Brandon Knight.This group may not get it this year. Hopefully, they will embrace the challenge each day and grow and adjust faster than the fan base.

• Al/in/Indy
      9:19 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree, with the trolls pouring salt in to a wound and idiots that can’t even make a church league basketball team start pounding their 2 cents in no wonder everyone laughs at us.
      I do agree with those who say Cal should change the starting line up somewhat. The guard play was horrible to say the least, the twins have got to grow up at some point to where they have to be more physical on the floor, and quit the pouting.
      Been a UK fan since I was able to turn on the radio and listen to Cawood back in the Cotton Nash era. Unless you bet the house on this game, relax. We may not get a 2 or 4 seeding this year, but that’s just the way it is. We’ll be fine…..GO CATS!!!!

53. Sally
    7:57 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

It is about time that we realized that this group of players, as well as last years, really don’t care whether they win or not. They are here for a few short months, en route to becoming very wealthy.
    I would rather watch the true Kentucky players, born and bred here play their hearts out because the name on the jersey means something.
    The one and doners mentality needs to stop NOW.

54. BlueFins
    7:59 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Unfortunately Dakich got the last laugh with that performance. The Cats did nothing to refute his claims. As for staying in Baton Rouge overnight, they where stuck before they got there.

55. Billy Ray
    8:01 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Just imagine if Cal brought in the 5th best recruiting class. We would likely have 8 or 9 losses.

56. Blue Mist
    8:02 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

This LSU team lost at home to Rhode Island a couple weeks ago. End O story.

57. KG
    8:05 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

“Clutter” don’t ya just love it!! I just can’t help but be amazed at the reactions of all our resident “cliff jumpers” following a loss to a team that was at home and a 2 point underdog before the game began.
    A team that shot 51%, had 11 blocked shots, 11 steals, 26 fts and only committed 12 PFs!!!!
    They won because they played lights out!
    Some Cats could have played better but every Tiger player exceeded all expectations.

• Melvit
      8:38 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

You are just fooling yourself. This has been building up over the year. This is just not a one game problem.

58. jeffeyb
    8:10 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

starting five should be:
    Polson
    young
    hood
    poy
    dakari

59. Steady
    8:15 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Dan Dakich was the highlight of the game. Wow.

60. Cal Chizik
    8:22 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

As long as we get over 50,000 for the Spring game and get four players drafted in the first round, we are good

61. jeffeyb
    8:24 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I get so tired of watching 3 people going up for a block and leaving and leaving the weak side open for putback shots. watching smaller quicker guards eating our lunch and lazy attitudes.

• old timer
      8:43 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Too bad we can’t have a recruiter (Cal) and a coach on the bench and at practice. BBN, it’s time to face the facts, Cal is NOT a coach, not a basketball coach anyway. He has so much talent, so much in fact that before the season started he really thought he had a chance at going undefeated. I have been to UK games when Rupp was the coach, and Calapari rates a ‘poor’ as an X and O coach and doesn’t know what to do with a team. True, Davis and MKG won a championship, in spite of him. This is so sad to watch this team go to the NIT again, and lose.

62. Hendo Blue
    8:25 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

My wife said their out there playing like” la la la”…and I said yes! They’re playing like Teletubbies. Soft. Harrison twins and WCS look like LaLa out there.

63. Hooter
    8:28 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Willie and others on the team have been diagnosed with a severe case of “Vaginitous” this is serious folks. I’ve heard once you have vaginitous, it’s really hard to get rid of it. Vaginitous is very contagious. The only known cure is to grow a pair and realize the talents and strengths that you have. Symptoms of Vaginitous include but are not limited to: worrying about yourself and not the team, worrying about what you look like on the court. Worrying about your draft stock in January, Lack of defense in severe cases of Vaginitous, talking back to those that are trying to teach you. Not putting your arms up on defense, acting like a little B*#ch when a foul is called on you. Not substituting other players in when needed. As you can see, Vaginitous has spread like wild fire through this team and maybe even the coaching staff. We need to spread awareness and try to prevent vaginitous from killing this team mentally.

I do feel better. Regardless of how many people I just pissed off. Go CATS!!

• Jeff Garlin
      8:35 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree. WCS is better suited for arts and crafts.

64. Brad
    8:28 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Time to face the facts. This is NOT a good team. Best hope is that the right ones leave and the right ones stay, then combine that with Karl Town’s leadership we can get on the right track next year.

65. BBN
    8:30 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The Kentucky players kill themselves playing man to man defense for 40 minutes while their opponents conserve energy playing zone defenses. When the talent level of Kentucky and their opponents are complimentary, which team has the upper hand at the end of games? Why is it so hard for Calipari to accept that they MUST play zone defense????

• Jus saying
      10:20 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

This

66. Hooter
    8:31 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hendo Blue, I agree!! Teletubbies don’t make me as mad as this team does though. I would never let my kids watch the teletubbies. No way I will let them watch this team play. I don’t want them to pick up any bad habits.

67. playersfan
    8:33 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Turn out the lights. Maybe there is better criteria than being a McD all American in selecting players, like knowing how to play, wanting to play, or just being a highlight reel, like wanting to win, desire. I believe Hood, Polson, Hawkins could have replaced 3 players last night and made a better team. OK maybe they don’t care they are being embarrassed, but do they understand that people are watching at the next level and they see what the fans see, a lack of desire. WCS wont’ make it in the NBA, he may be drafted because he’s tall, athletic, but he will get shoved into the stands every play. If they thought last night was rough, wait until the NBA. What this team needed was to have the Thunder to play against and watch practice, to see what it takes to be good. 2012 besides a great humble kid named Davis, I think the strike experience was the greatest benefit.
    One thing I don’t understand, KY offense just keep driving into 3 defensive players and hope to be fouled, compared to running an offense to get opens shots, we theoretically have the best two shooting guards in the country, a point guard that was advertised as just as good a shooter, and big guys to clean the misses, but we can’t shoot from more 4 foot. How come? Forget 40 and 0, the final four, we can’t win the SEC, the weakest conference in the country.

68. Drew Franklin-Bash
    8:33 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Mitch learned a lesson from last year. Cats will play first round NIT game at Rupp

• Melvit
      8:39 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

For some reason, I think they play the games in Memorial.

69. hoosier wild cat
    8:37 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

If the NBA scouts watched that game last night I am sure they have marked Willie and the twins off there 1st round picks. The bad news is Johnson will probly move into the 1st round if he has a few more games like LSU.

• cristoforoUK
      8:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Dakari could play in the NBA on the offensive end. The problem is you have to play defense in the NBA too and right now he is a poor defender down low. As he gets in better shape and becomes more explosive he will get better. He tries hard but it is pretty much a lay up line to the basket when he is in defensively. His conditioning and defense will keep him in college another year.

70. cristoforoUK
    8:38 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Start Alex. Sit Aaron. Start Dakari. Sit Willie. Start the guys that deserve it.

• Melvit
      8:40 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal doesn’t want to hurt his super freshmen’s draft positions. That’s what is more important to him.

• cristoforoUK
      8:50 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Their draft status gets hurt in each game they play especially against other future NBA players.

71. Yo
    8:44 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Personally, I’m tired of ALL if these one and done recruits. Young has been the only one this season to consistently play with any kind of heart. Randle is playing for the June draft and it shows. The Harrison twins are the most overrated players since Greg Oden. WCS has wow…simply disappeared. We need half these guys to come back next year to have a decent 14-15 year.

• That One Guy
      12:45 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Greg Oden did help his team get to the nat. championship game that year.

72. B-man
    8:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

At this point in the season, this team is only marginally better than last year’s team (15-5 vs 14-6). I can’t see the Cats winning at Mizzou, at Ole Miss, or either Florida game. Throw in one more unexpected loss, an SEC tourney loss and and NCAA/NIT loss and that makes them a 12-loss team…same as last year. You can’t blame all the haters for laughing at us for even thinking this team would be a dominant force. At least Matt doesn’t have to apologize to Gottlieb for his preseason rankngs because even DG had UK ranked way too high.

I certainly hope I’m wrong, but it seems we were a bit hesitant about them “turning the corner” because of their win over a medioce GA team that was playing without either of its starting guards.

73. Hooter
    8:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Melvit

It’s sad but you are probably spot on with your assumption. I can’t think of any other reason why he would keep playing guys when they are sucking it up.

74. jeffeyb123
    8:49 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

lack for fundamentals and basketball IQ are void of this team. JYoung is a beast and Dakari should be starting and I wouldnt mind seeing Randle on the pine for modivational purposes. Let Lee get some reps,let Hood gets some minutes and let Young play some 2G, mix in Willis for some 3pt shooting like we did with Wiltjer. If CAL starts sitting some of these NBA guys, you will see what they are made of. We need to get the team on the floor that plays well together. I get so sick of watching us throw an ill advised lob and wanting to make a highlight reel instead of just making a simple layup. UF is gonna take us to the wood shed.

75. Jim
    8:52 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

WCS, The Twins and Randle are overhyped and overrated.

Cal can teach them but he cant make them have heart or make them play the way he wants them to play….

Im sick of hearing excuses for these guys…..

76. Fanman
    8:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Here are your starters for Saturday. Polson Young Poythress Johnson Randle Lets see what happens. Need a change on the road.

77. Ho Lee Fuk
    8:58 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Can UK take this team to Body Shapes Medical and get their T count checked? I think most of them will be low.

78. Hairdye
    9:00 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Willie I miss you!!

79. 40 and Uh-oh
    9:03 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Man! These comments look amazingly similar to last year. 40 and Uh-oh. Weak weak weak and these guys suck, the ego is the motivator with these guys, just like the coach. They can’t win on the road because the crowd is booing them. Looks like another crap season, wait another year…

• PhilUK18
      9:29 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Talk all the trash you want, but the reality is that your team lost to three guys. So yeah, laugh it up when UK loses, and then slowly come to the realization that these overrated freshmen and this guy who can’t coach beat your guys.

80. Cadillac Dreams
    9:04 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Do you guys still think we will go 40-0? Thanks.

• L1C5
      9:54 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Yes, just like Louisville went 13-0 in football this year, and Teddy won the Heisman.

81. Kidd-Cauley-Gilchrist-Stein
    9:09 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I too am tired of the lack of coaching. The freshman excuse doesn’t work anymore. This team isn’t very good, and it’s almost too late to get better.
    We already have 4 losses with 2 in conference. More than likely we will lose at least 4 more.
    09-10 Team lost 2 in the SEC
    10-11 Team lost 6 in the SEC
    11-12 Team lost 0 in the SEC
    12-13 Team lost 6 in the SEC
    13-14 Team lost 2 out 7 already
    I appreciate what Cal has done, but I don’t think he is the coach we need. I am tired of the one and done’s. He isnt getting these kids in the NBA, they would have gone without him. If anything he is hurting them by coaching so poorly.
    We need a team that can develop (we might have that this year, looks like these guys have killed their draft stock so we will probably have more returns than expected).
    Either way i am tired of the roller coaster.
    Enough of the team acting like pouty babies, they need to play ball and Cal needs to take action or leave the team.

• classof68
      9:17 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal’s stock does seem to be going down. He obviously has misjudged who he really needs to recruit the last two years.

• Turner the Burner
      9:29 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

He may not get them in the NBA but their stock goes up with his coaching. He is preparing guys to play the style that is played in the NBA. Watch an NBA game and how one on one it is. Then watch a college game, they are completely different.
      Saying “I don’t think he (Cal) is the coach we need” is very dumb.
      He has won a title, took a team to the final four, and went to the Elite Eight in his first 4 years. Saying the BS about coaches after doing that is why WE RUN COACHES OFF!!! Stop the f’ing BS about not needing this coach because it becomes f’ing ridiculous!!

• Kidd-Cauley-Gilchrist-Stein
      9:48 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Turner, like I said I appreciate what he has done, but what has he done lately? He seems like he doesn’t care anymore. HE is NOT coaching. He is making as many silly mistakes as this team is. I want him to wake up and start coaching. I like Cal, and I do appreciate him I don’t give 2 craps about how good they will be in the NBA, i want them to be good now. If he cant make it work then something needs to change. When will you be done with it? 2 more losing seasons? 3 more losing seasons?

82. 40 and Uh-oh
    9:12 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Randle doesn’t need to start either, he guards just like Wiltcher. Start hood, he’s a freakin senior and never see’s the floor, because of the “allstars” that can’t play ball for sh!t. At least when he does get in the game,he shows fight and heart. Freakin cal is a dumbass excuse for a coach, that’s why this team has no leadership. Bob Huggins exposed Cals weakness, and smart coaches will always beat him at the X’s and O’s. the truth always come’s to the forefront.

• Turner the Burner
      9:25 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hood shows fight against the other team’s walk-ons….. Terrible idea.

83. Bluecreeker
    9:16 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

You guys mad?

Hey, I watched a perfect rerun of Smokey and the Bandit last night. It was quite entertaining.

Hope when the Cats go to Mizzou they are running a Smokey and the Bandit Marathon. It would be much more entertaining than watching these kids try to play ball for a DraftExpress ranking.

Andrew Harrison should have his name changed to “Harrow-son” up and until the point he stops pouting like a bee-otch.

I just love Buford T. Justice, he is one entertaining dude. “SUM BICH”

• Brad
      9:29 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’ve gotten to the same point. The idea of not watching the game live was unheard of for me. Now I’ve decided to check in and if they are off to that lousy slow start I do something else and just check in. A lot less aggravating.

84. 40 and Uh-oh
    9:19 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Do we have the For Sale signs for Cals yard yet? Looks like we are jumping ship!

• Line beard Inc.
      9:32 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

No, but you grand mother has put a basement apartment for rent sign in her front yard, guess you’ll have to find another place to trim that beard before a game.

85. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    9:19 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Starting 5-
    Aaron Harrison
    Young
    Poythress
    Randle
    Johnson
    Let Andrew Harrison and WCS sulk on the bench until they want to man up and take responsibility for their poor play.

• Brad
      9:26 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I had the same thought. Let them “learn” from the bench by watching. It’s what Cal could not do last year due to lack of depth. The depth is there use it. At this point its not about winning the SEC reg season. Its about getting the right team with the right attitude on the floor in time for run at the SEC and NCAA tourney.

86. classof68
    9:23 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal needs to be real careful if he ever recruits Texas again. It’s a football state, not a basketball state.

87. aja
    9:27 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Our spoilt prima donnas are sulking because someone served them ham instead of prosciutto. Hire a new chef.

88. Cat89
    9:28 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I really hate to dignify with a comment or acknowledge in any way those calling for Cal job or questioning his coaching abilities. Social media enables us to just regurgitate our illogical emotions all over a page with no supporting data and therefore no accountability. Coming on here is like walking into a kindergarten just before nap time. Some even through there little temper tantrums then criticize the 18 year old twins for their poor attitude.

89. inlinefor9
    9:29 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

11 losses when you include the SECT and NCAAT. Feast or famine under the Cal system. 9 losses in 10-11. 12 last year. Likely 11 this year.

Quite the gold standard Cal.

90. bosshog
    9:29 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

This team is soft and everyone knows it. Unless they can begin to turn that around they will continue to be victimized by other teams. They simply don’t have the combination of intellect, experience and tenacity that we eventually found with Brandon, Jorts and DeAndre in 2011. It can really be summed up in one play-Jorts slamming the ball off Jared Sullinger in that regional game. We haven’t seen anything even approximating that kind of fire and intensity from these Cats. And without it there is no way that we will see what we saw in 2011.

91. Jim Geralds
    9:32 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I watched a replay of the 1994 31 point comeback down at Baton Rouge. We had some shooters then for sure. Ford, McCarty, Brassow, and even Chris Harrison. We seem to have no pure shooters this year. Youngs the best scorer but he has to shoot a lot. Willis is a ggod shooter but hardly ever leaves the bench. Also there seems to be no zip to this team. The only excitment is a slam dunk-and def. little effort on defense.

92. bung
    9:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

8 assists, prev game we had 16…
    2 points on fast break, prev game we had 20

93. cal
    9:35 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Talet or experience? Or talent or coaching? I’ll take talent every time!

• L1C5
      9:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I’ll take “talet”

94. UKCatinTN
    9:35 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

2 words…Bruce Pearl…this group of guys would be hustling and winning ,or at the very least watchable.

95. bo
    9:36 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Coach needs a refund on these players.

96. ls
    9:36 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

yall need to realize coach cal promises those 5 guys playing time they aren’t coming out THIS ISNT ABOUT THE FANS OR THE SCHOOL

ALL NBA DRIVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

97. bung
    9:39 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

it’s a mess…play Poythress Willis Hood Polson more minutes…

98. SP
    9:40 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

You guys are crazy to think Cal is going to bench his freshmen “NBA” guys. He can’t take the chance that the team plays better without them which would show the scouts they really aren’t that good. He needs these guys to leave so he can keep up his persona and bring in another highly rated class. If they all stayed, he would have to pull scholarships from kids he just signed or even worse, not reoffer current players scholarships forcing kids to transfer.

99. Tired of the NBA talk
    9:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

The worst part about all of this is that we will lose five to six players to the NBA. Remember we are a players first program. That means even if they are not ready and will sit the bench in the D-League, Cal will push them out the door. Hello NIT!

100. Kentucky Sasquatch
    9:43 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I am exactly like Kentucky’s defense and heart to compete, I do not exist.

101. Wildcatnation68
    9:46 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Well the NIT is kinda fun…isn’t it?

• Bluecreeker
      9:56 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I hear you talking. But with a SOS of 5 (RPI) the Cats would have to totally implode in order to make the NIT special short bus tourney.

If they do make the tourney, they will all most likely be one-and-done as I don’t see them getting past the first round.

I also don’t envision them being a 2 seed in the NCAA contrary to Mr. Lunardi’s projection.

102. Bubba Earl
    9:54 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Maybe they should stay down there LSU’s coach could probably teach them something!

103. Mean Randy
    9:55 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Love the NIT, cuz. That is probably where we are headed

104. Sonny
    9:55 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

UK haters should have fun today, they have a reason to live when UK falls. But they didn’t fall, they jumped. At least there is draft day for the “No show team”.

Coach Cal on many occasions has said “Don’t do the same stupid sh-t and expect a different result”,but watch him play the same starting line up again and not bench any players for not competing.

105. BlueRedNeck
    9:55 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hate to say it, but Cal saying at the beginning of the season that he was going to use the bench as a motivator is beginning to remind me of Tubby always saying he was going to press more and play up-tempo.

106. BBN
    9:57 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal’s overal win/loss record since the 2012 National Championship is a loss or two away from .500. He’s coaching close to .500 ball, not acceptable at UK. Seriously, what happens with Cal if we go to consecutive NITs? Does he get called out publicly this time?

107. L1C5
    9:59 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Louisville fans are so stupid. Coming on here talking about how terrible we are and screaming NIT. Yeah, we suck so bad that we easily beat your team. If we are NIT bound, we’ll meet you there L yeah! At least we’ve beat one team with a number by it’s name…and the fact that it was Lville makes it even sweeter!

108. Tammy
    10:00 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

BBN would not accept or even tolerate any criticism of Calipari last year saying it was the Harrow and the other players and kept saying wait until next year. Well folks, here we are living in “next year”. How do you like it now? Can we finally start to calling a spade a spade with this team and Cal’s poor performance?

109. Turkeyblue
    10:05 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE
    ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE ZONE

QUIT ASKING RANDALL, THE HARRISON TWINS, JOHNSON, ETC. TO GUARD PLAYERS WHO ARE FASTER, STRONGER, BIGGER, ETC. TO GUARD THESE GUYS ONE ON ONE.

110. All been said already
    10:08 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I couldn’t wait to get on here this morning and rant. But after reading all the posts, it has all been said. My big rant was going to be about how non-chalant and “could care less” the players looked. They play like they are just going through the motions to get it over with. I bet they think they KNOW they will be drafted so why try. I just want one player, just one, that refuses to lose and get angry when they are! I want emotion ! My big thing is not that they are losing, its that they don’t care that they are losing! If they honestly worked and fought with all they had and still lost, I would be proud. That is just not the case. Everyone can see they are putting in about 60% effort on the floor. At best …

111. Pete
    10:13 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I wished we had another Josh Harrellson. Dakari reminds me of him in the fact that they are 2 big bodies who can bang in the paint. Wished Cooley-Stein would quit worrying about how cool he looks and get some toughness about him. How the hell did he play football in high school? That is more physical than basketball. Oh wait, I know, it was against high school kids. He can dominate against weak competition but can do shit against people who have any sort of talent.

112. 40 and Uh-Oh
    10:23 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I love comment moderation…… what a coincidence, thats just how this team puts forth effort, in moderation!

113. Thomas
    10:27 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

As a coach, this team hasn’t played well for several games. Transition defense is non existant and it really bit them today. Not sure how as a college basketball team that basic principles such as sprinting to the paint and stopping the ball is still being missed in January.

114. 40 and Uh-Oh
    10:30 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Do you guys know we are making Matt richer by coming on here and posting our concern’s? And he is, as you know a Duke alumni…. Hummmmm, you know there could be a conspiracy here….

115. MustangCat
    10:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

No way any objective person can say that the refs had nothing to do with that game last night?! That’s idiotic. First of all, hats off to LSU, They had a perfect storm night. They ALL played extremely hard, played as a team, hustled non-stop. Plus, they hit everything they threw up there it seemed?! That 50% from the field felt like 75%! I salute you! Having said that, i do not understand how officials can go from touch-fouling everything they see, to not calling a single hockey body check the whole entire game??? They body checked – HARD – the man with the ball the entire game, and never got called for it. They knocked guys off their base a foot or two! Guys were stumbling from the contact. It was all body blows for the most part, and we didn’t play through that?! Our guys are still looking at the refs all the time. There is no way you can justify 12 – TWELVE FOULS for the entire game. Not when you play that rough. Shades of UL. That emboldens a defense, which we saw last night. LSU played MORE physical as the game went on. Add two plays that refs should be FINED for, and you’ve got a typical UK game. Home or away. Ball rolls off a foot OOB, and they took the ball in bounds, from in bounds?! WCS pointed it out too!?! Ridiculous non-calls, refs right there. Our energy level is what is killing us. We aren’t playing HARD? One of the things hurting Randle, is that we aren’t putting a body on anybody to help him?! We are LETTING teams triple team him! We need to MOVE fast, hard, and constant! Set screens HARD! Isolations have to be set up!! Our guys are still THINKING way too much. The game hasn’t slowed down for them. AND, we miss too many wide open 3’s??? Heck, we airball 2 or 3 of those a game? How do you airball an uncontested 3?! The Harrisons both look like they are playing hot potato, then standing around. Never stand around. Bench isn’t being used right. We should be running guys in the ground. We should have the best bench in the country. We have the horses this year to be playing 10-12 guys. Dictate, and press!! How can you not press HARD with this team?! We aren’t creating momentum. We play passive. This team can win it all, but not like this.

116. Orney focker
    10:34 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Those LSU cheerleaders were frigin hot! That was the best thing about last nights game.. Just sayin. orney docker Out!

117. Orney focker
    10:37 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Hate that frigin spell check. Should say orney focker out!

118. Orney focker
    10:55 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Need a coach, with this year and last years showing, you would have to be blind not to see it. When Cal started that yelling sh!t just like last year, that can be heard over the crowd, I knew we were in trouble. What is up with that anyway? He never had to do that with the previous teams. I think that’s why they are losing, and I am tired of listening to it. he burned me out on that crap last year. Either Cal or the players are friggin stupid, it’s two thirds the way through the season, if they ain’t got it by now, they ain’t gettin it…

119. Orney focker
    11:13 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I would start Hood, Polson, Poythress, Sam Malone, with a name as cool as that you have to start him, and Johnson. Let the Mickey D’s ride the pine for a while, Hey we are losing anyway. A real coach could take UK’s bench and win, and that’s a fact jack.

120. BHoward
    11:27 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

From 40-0 talk to this team is NO GOOD……Poor UK fans!

• maddog
      11:51 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Is it too late to cancel Calipari? Why is the team underachieving? One reason, poor coaching! Half the team, McDonald’s All-Americans, and we don’t have a coach that can show them how to win or someone that can coach them to win. He HAS the talent, that’s no excuse!

121. Lcat
    1:20 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

A lot of cry babies here. The talk of now looking for a coach better than Cal is rediculous. This guy has an amazing record. The only thing bad about this team is that they are young and need to learn to play better defence.We loose at Mizzo and Fl but could win the rest of our games. Folks this is just basketball-paleez quit whining. I hate whiners!! And the UK fan base is full of them. Get a life!!

• Bluecreeker
      2:32 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

Lcat, while I agree with a lot you have to say I also think the BBN has a reason to complain.

Calipari gets the BEST players in the nation, and they regularly get beat by guys who just play harder. It’s not that hard to take a loss when the guys are fighting, executing, and giving it all they have. I would rather watch a lessor talented team lose while giving it hell and playing good solid basketball, than watch a bunch of lottery picks mail it in.

This is supposedly the best class EVER recruited by any College Basketball Coach.

They make poor decisions, they make stupid mistakes, and the ones doing it should be on the bench.

Cal is getting it though, that is why you see Polson on the floor so much. Sit the pouters on the bench and lets watch some kids go after it.

122. michael
    2:29 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

After that train wreck that posed as a game, don’t see that it would do any harm to come up with a totally new starting five. Let our all-stars think about how they like the bench for at least the 1st half.
    Pathetic. And that’s being probably too kind.

123. Amar
    4:05 pm January 29, 2014 Permalink

The Harrison twins need to call Ryan Harrow and see if there is room at Georgia State next season. I truly believe they are talented, but they act like two spoiled brats on the court. At this point, I sincerely hope neither one of them get drafted, it would be a slap in the face of the Big Blue Nation to get used by two punks who have no aspirations of helping the TEAM be successful while they are at Kentucky. I say bench them and play Hawkins and Polson until they pull their heads out of their butts or until they actually deserve minutes. They hurt the team’s morale and do nothing to help us win.