Is it time to say goodbye to Slice?

sliceslicebaby

A rumor that’s been making the rounds a lot in the past few days is that UK assistant coach Slice Rohrssen may leave Kentucky to join his friend Chris Mullin at St. John’s. Matt says he’s hearing that Slice is considering Mullen’s offer, but no decision has been made yet.

Slice is very close with UK target Cheick Diallo, who is considering Kentucky, Kansas, St. John’s, Pitt, and Iowa State. Mullin also hired Matt Abdelmassih, Diallo’s lead recruiter at Iowa State, and is clearly pulling out all the stops to land the five-star power forward.

Slice came to Kentucky before last season and in one short year, has become a favorite with fans and the media. How awesome is he? When I met him for the first time at the SEC Tournament, he offered to make me a sandwich.

Don’t go, Slice!

12 Comments for Is it time to say goodbye to Slice?

1. SanDiegoCats
    10:37 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Jeez even our assistants are one and done.

2. ukbradstith
    10:54 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

St. John’s. Really? You leave a dream job for a school that will be in the NIT the next 5 years?

• Gitback Coach
      11:14 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Leaving UK for an identical position at St. Johns is kinda like leaving UKBB after just a year or two for the chance to get drafted in the second round. “Opportunity” knocks, lol.

• theSkinny81
      12:37 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

How would you compare it to the careers of Russdiclulous? Or Peyton Siva? Killing it in the DLeague. I heard Earl Clark got invited back to disappear in the NBA. I also hear Samardo Samuels is tearing it up down in Barbados. Im sure Terry Rozier will be the next Gilbert Arenas. lol. Anyone have stats from Chris Jones prison league numbers yet?

But hey, Gorgui is doing alright – he’s putting up half the number Nerlens is. I think even Terrence Jones is more productive. But hey, one out of 50 aint bad, right?

3. ReverendBlue
    10:57 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I understand that he is from that area and it would be “going home.” But, other than that, why in the world would he want to make that move from a basketball standpoint?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:13 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

You’re not in the coaching business to stay at home. It’s about winning. I would be shocked if he left for St. Johns.

4. dhighdrated
    10:59 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

some people are fine being assistants (i would be, much less stress) and like being home. i wouldn’t blame him.
    #hireJalenRose

5. Laker Cat 18
    11:13 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

What are the odds on Newman and Maker?

6. deltasig41
    11:14 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

I agree dhighdrated…I’d rather be an assistant too…And if I were going to be one, I’d rather do it close to home. We all like Slice, to be sure, but he’s a New Yorker through and through…I bet he feels like a fish out of water down here. I hope he stays, but wouldn’t blame him one bit if he left.

7. Kyblue34
    11:41 am April 8, 2015 Permalink

Well, I guess that makes the Diallo to St. John’s rumors more believable now.

8. Actionhero
    12:13 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

not cool slice 🙁

9. bpisforuk
    12:23 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

From the Bahamas trip to the Final Four and everything that comes with Big Blue Nation, it would be like living in luxury for a year then returning to cheap motels, terrible travel and fighting to get average talent to talk to you. Not to mention – A HUGE PAY CUT !! No way the Johnnies can give him what he is making here.