Introducing The Big Blue Road Trip

keifer side shot  Chris

There are thousands of UK fans that have relocated out of the Bluegrass and most of them are just as enthusiastic about Wildcat basketball as those of us in Lexington.

As a UK student the past five years (five is the new four, right?) I have watched most Kentucky games in Lexington. But now that I have graduated and friends have moved around the country for various reasons, I have become interested in the fan base outside of Lexington. What is it like to watch games when you aren’t in a city that bleeds blue? When people in the area predominately support a different team? When your fandom makes you look crazy? I want to find out.

A friend and I have spent the last few months planning out an epic road trip. We will live out of a van for the entire 2015-2016 basketball season, watching UK games with different alumni clubs in a different US cities. We believe that Big Blue Nation is more than a hashtag or acronym; it is a group of people around the country who share a common love: The University of Kentucky.

We want to share the stories of these fans. At each location we will be filming and conducting interviews so that we can create a documentary at the end of the season. While we are on the trip we will be updating our website, www.thebigblueroadtrip.com, multiple times a week with written posts, pictures, and videos. In addition to our site, we have been given the opportunity to create a post after each game for Kentucky Sports Radio.

We hope that you will join us along the way. Keep up with us on Facebook and Twitter too!

Article written by Keifer Winings

9 Comments for Introducing The Big Blue Road Trip

1. ukjaybrat
    10:46 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

This is really cool. I lived in southern maryland for 3 years and it was all nfl/nba there (mostly nfl). so it was hard to find the game on in a bar (without asking) much less get volume. We almost always just watched it at home and had to stream the non-marquee games. it was very frustrating some times

2. CatAllDay
    11:41 am November 12, 2015 Permalink

This is an awesome project, definitely an awesome project and I would love to be updated! I moved to Boston after graduating from UK so I sympathize with your goal here. It wasn’t the same being in Boston and not Lexes last year for the awesome run that we had and I am eager to meet with you guys if you happen to make it out this way!! I am sure some fresh showers and beers would also be appreciated!

3. Realme
    12:00 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

Oh man, do you know how many of us would dream of being able to do that? Hope you have a blast, and can’t wait to read all about it.

4. CrazyCayts
    12:34 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

Great idea, but how is this being funded? You mentioned you just graduated college so I couldn’t imagine you being able to afford all of the expenses; not to mention the opportunity cost of living on the road for five month or so without a job. I guess what I’m asking is if this is considered a KSR project?

• ukjaybrat
      1:31 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

there is a gofundme, so i’m sure it will be at least in part funded by donations.

5. Stephen
    12:55 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

I travel a lot for work. Once I was looking for local Alumni groups to meet up with and watch a game. I found the UK Birmingham Alumni Club on FB. I sent a message to their group to see if they would mind if I crashed their party. They were very welcoming and it was great to watch the game with other members of BBN. They watch games at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Hoover, AL.

• ukjaybrat
      1:32 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

This is THE number 1 way to find alumni groups in most cities. alumni facebook groups. i’ve done this a half dozen times and hasn’t failed me yet.

6. jahanc2uky
    2:24 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

Do you have room for one more? This sounds… AWESOME!!

7. CatBlue in LR
    5:54 pm November 12, 2015 Permalink

This is awesome and very worthwhile as a way to remind current Kentuckians about the scope and depth of UK fandom worldwide. I’ve always said we ex-pats who find ourselves outside of God’s Country are under-appreciated. We have to go through much more to passionately follow the ‘Cats than in-state folks. And in the pre-internet, pre-SEC Network (for that matter, pre-ESPN) days, it was a heck of a lot harder! Thanks for spotlighting us out-of-state fans; long overdue.